Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine noise - T6 recovered to main dealer

R

rob_68

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So, 2 weeks ago, T6 Ocean goes into dealers to investigate continued poor fuel economy and look into warning lights on dash regarding regeneration and cat issues. Returned with notes to say ecu reset and while in. recall done regarding turbo oil seals. All seemed well.

1 week later a "strange" noise developed. On acceleration, a noise was heard which is best described as a "bag of nails" in the engine. Called VW assist who sent the AA to have a look. The AA man confirmed the strange noise - thought it was the turbo - and arranged recovery to the garage. All excellent service, and they arranged a hire car out of hours to get me to an appointment the following morning.

So, I called Heritage in Bristol to get an update on Friday. They advised that they thought it was the cam belt tensioners, replaced them and found the noise was still there. Called today for an update. They have removed and tested the turbo and confirmed all is well with that. Next step is apparently the high pressure fuel pump. As part of changing this, they noted that a fuel sample had been sent for testing, and had come back as the fuel is dirty and has water in it. Fuel testing bods suggested draining and cleaning the fuel tank. Seems bizarre on a one year old van!

I wondered if anyone else has encountered similar problems. Apparently this is the first time on a T6 they have had anything like this, and they didn't seem convinced that the high pressure fuel pump was at fault.The manager was asking where i bought the last lot of fuel from (ASDA) but I thought that Diesel often had a small quantity of water in it anyway. His point was if the fault was caused by water in the fuel then VW may not class it as a warranty claim! Scary given the entire front has been removed from the Ocean.

Will update when they call again.

Oh what a nightmare :(

Surely diesels are built to handle dirty fuel? I would think there should be very little get out for VW given past history.

Unfortunately the older Diesels could run on virtually anything but the modern ones are so tuned up with all the emissions equipment etc: they can be extremely sensitive to fuel quality. It can effect the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors on fuel injected engines.

Back