Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR blanking plate PRO's/CON's please

D

davep74

DaveP74
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Just my luck Ive got the dreaded P0471 P0571 fault codes come up with an emissions workshop error message on the dash. Ive a 2006 174BHP Cali. can anyone advise A/ where the EGR is situated as I can't see it, as the picture of the part doesn't resemble anything in the engine bay B/ Is it easy to replace? C/ I see blanking plates and delete are a common fix, are they any good?
Any help is appreciated

Give us a picture of your motor, and we can point out the egr.
Do you also have dpf (diesel particular filter)?
Do you have AXE engine (pre 2006) or BPC engine (post 2006)?
(engine code usually on sticker under dash/steering wheel)

BPC engine from looking at the sticker. I was assuming I had an AXE engine which has a non electronic EGR hence why I couldn't see the one I needed. euro parts have BPC engine code replacement for 136 quid but I can also get a blanking plate and pipe for 80 quid from dark works. But I don't want to fail my next MOT due to emissions. Plus it doesn't say whether fitting the plate automatically resets the error message.
I think Ive circled the EGR but obviously I am happy to be corrected.

fullsizeoutput_1825.jpeg

View attachment 24785

Last edited:
BPC engine from looking at the sticker. I was assuming I had an AXE engine which has a non electronic EGR hence why I couldn't see the one I needed. euro parts have BPC engine code replacement for 136 quid but I can also get a blanking plate and pipe for 80 quid from dark works. But I don't want to fail my next MOT due to emissions. Plus it doesn't say whether fitting the plate automatically resets the error message.View attachment 24786 I think Ive circled the EGR but obviously I am happy to be corrected.

The main con is it's an illegal mod as it increases the NOx pollution (but MOT don't measure that so I'm told) and could fail an MOT only if the tester physically spotted the mod.

DPF deletion and blanking together with reprogramming the Engine Control Unit is cited as improving the engine performance and consumption figures with no more error messages, regeneration or clogged exhaust filters. So it seems like a win win situation, until you factor in the increased particulate matter and NOx your van will be pushing out.

Given the current concern about increased deaths in towns and cities from these emissions, I think it is increasingly a no go area and wouldn't recommend it.

Alan

Last edited:
Jay your article is about the dpf. Does that mean I have to take it out if I blank out the egr?

Ah, sorry. I think people do both so I suspect they're linked, I stand to be corrected tho.

Think I am going to bite the bullet and let the local garage sort it out. It's all looking a tad technical for me. I was thinking a quick unbolt and rebolt on solution. Now we're talking taking lots of things apart and a remap just to get around replacing the egr. Love my day off too much for that ;)

Jay your article is about the dpf. Does that mean I have to take it out if I blank out the egr?
As I understand it, the ECU, (engine control unit) is programmed to function with both the EGR and the DPF and it's associated sensors working in concert. Take out one and the ECU will not be happy and will flag up error messages. If the errors are not corrected, the ECU will eventually put the engine into limp mode.

As Jay has said, normally both are removed at the same time and the ECU reprogrammed to accommodate this.

Alan

Back