Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mechanic recommendation please re. 180 BiTurbo CFCA/EGA Valve/Cooler

Agreed ... but just curious if it should have been recalled at the time as I have no record.
There was no recall as it was not a safety issue. Only certain engines were affected.
Remember, the majority of vehicles that were affected were commercial variants, high milage compared with Californias, and so repaired under warranty.

Hi - i have a 2016 - 150 manual 110k miles - 4 cylinder - i have just replaced the EGR as it was worn out and leaking coolant out through the exhaust. My neighbour and good friend James is the manager at Cheltenham Halfords - i wouldnt use Halfords if i didnt have this contact but would be happy to recommend - he does all my work - all new suspension and bushes /new brakes last year - if you mention to James my name Tim Cooper he will look after you.

Hi - i have a 2016 - 150 manual 110k miles - 4 cylinder - i have just replaced the EGR as it was worn out and leaking coolant out through the exhaust. My neighbour and good friend James is the manager at Cheltenham Halfords - i wouldnt use Halfords if i didnt have this contact but would be happy to recommend - he does all my work - all new suspension and bushes /new brakes last year - if you mention to James my name Tim Cooper he will look after you.
Thanks Tim, will bear him in mind.

Agreed ... but just curious if it should have been recalled at the time as I have no record.
VW refuses to alert affected owners unless they go to an official VW agency for regular servicing. Those who have servicing done independently are not notified, and don’t find out until the engine goes, so it’s a very good thing that you have informed yourself. VW will tell you, but only if you ask.

We have a 2010 SE with the 180hp engine and about 25k miles on the clock, which we merrily bought a couple of years ago ... great condition, low miles, powerful motor; what's not to like?

The orange light recently appeared on the dash and my local friendly mechanic checked the code and tells me it's an EGR fault - insufficient flow.

So I start googling and the fun begins - not!

I was oblivious to the fact that the 2010 T5.1 with 180hp CFCA motor has the huge problem with the EGR cooler disintegrating internally, which in turn deposits aluminium particles into the engine causing enough damage to completely trash the engine!

So far I do not have the reported symptoms (mainly high oil consumption/loss of power) but want to avoid the possibility of future damage by acting now and replacing the EGR valve/cooler unit with the latest D suffix version, before it's too late.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation of a good local-ish mechanic who is used to doing this job on our vehicles, and who may be able to advise on other options such as deleting the EGR/DPF etc

I'm in OX7, which is the north Cotswolds ... so looking around Cheltenham/Oxford/Banbury/Stratford ideally.

Any leads appreciated, but no main dealers please (!!)

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Emms is a fully qualified VW mechanic who only uses OEM parts and comes to you.

If you want to know more about your engine, the Facebook group you should follow is the one shown in my attachment below. Steve Emms is massively well regarded in all vw circles but wasn't aware (ie I don't believe) he particularly regarded as an expert on this issue.

Screenshot_20240128_112237_Facebook.jpg

If you want to know more about your engine, the Facebook group you should follow is the one shown in my attachment below. Steve Emms is massively well regarded in all vw circles but wasn't aware (ie I don't believe) he particularly regarded as an expert on this issue.

View attachment 118560
Thanks, already a member of this group

View attachment 118560
Turns out I joined a very similarly named group, but can’t find this particular group… can you send me a link please

We have a 2010 SE with the 180hp engine and about 25k miles on the clock, which we merrily bought a couple of years ago ... great condition, low miles, powerful motor; what's not to like?

The orange light recently appeared on the dash and my local friendly mechanic checked the code and tells me it's an EGR fault - insufficient flow.

So I start googling and the fun begins - not!

I was oblivious to the fact that the 2010 T5.1 with 180hp CFCA motor has the huge problem with the EGR cooler disintegrating internally, which in turn deposits aluminium particles into the engine causing enough damage to completely trash the engine!

So far I do not have the reported symptoms (mainly high oil consumption/loss of power) but want to avoid the possibility of future damage by acting now and replacing the EGR valve/cooler unit with the latest D suffix version, before it's too late.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation of a good local-ish mechanic who is used to doing this job on our vehicles, and who may be able to advise on other options such as deleting the EGR/DPF etc

I'm in OX7, which is the north Cotswolds ... so looking around Cheltenham/Oxford/Banbury/Stratford ideally.

Any leads appreciated, but no main dealers please (!!)

Thanks,
Steve
Scottys Van Centre - Wendlebury (Bicester).
As good as it gets.

Okay ... So I have got the results of my oil analysis and the result is not what I was hoping for, considering the mileage is only 25k, but not horrendous .... Aluminium is 31ppm and everything else is fine and I don't have any other symptoms.
I think I'm going to fit a Tafmet and blank the EGR cooler as an interim measure and see how we go. Also going to flush the engine, refill with oil, and repeat in 500 miles, then continue to test the oil regularly for Aluminium nasties.
Question is do I have to remove/gut/map out the DPF with the Tafmet fitted?? .... or will the DPF regain as normal ?
Feedback of real life experiences from those with the Tafmet fitted would be appreciated, as some say the DPF will clog and others say not ...
Cheers!
Steve

Typically people will put blanking plates on the EGR rather than remove to look original for MOTs. Tampering with it is an MOT fail but at this stage the test doesn't involve more than looking at it.

DPF should regen fine, some say more often some say less.

I would have a look on the T6 forum for more coverage of the subject. https://www.t6forum.com/search/1373293/?q=Egr&o=relevance

Back