Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mechanic recommendation please re. 180 BiTurbo CFCA/EGA Valve/Cooler

Guitarrero

Guitarrero

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have a 2010 SE with the 180hp engine and about 25k miles on the clock, which we merrily bought a couple of years ago ... great condition, low miles, powerful motor; what's not to like?

The orange light recently appeared on the dash and my local friendly mechanic checked the code and tells me it's an EGR fault - insufficient flow.

So I start googling and the fun begins - not!

I was oblivious to the fact that the 2010 T5.1 with 180hp CFCA motor has the huge problem with the EGR cooler disintegrating internally, which in turn deposits aluminium particles into the engine causing enough damage to completely trash the engine!

So far I do not have the reported symptoms (mainly high oil consumption/loss of power) but want to avoid the possibility of future damage by acting now and replacing the EGR valve/cooler unit with the latest D suffix version, before it's too late.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation of a good local-ish mechanic who is used to doing this job on our vehicles, and who may be able to advise on other options such as deleting the EGR/DPF etc

I'm in OX7, which is the north Cotswolds ... so looking around Cheltenham/Oxford/Banbury/Stratford ideally.

Any leads appreciated, but no main dealers please (!!)

Thanks,
Steve

Sorry to read this Steve.
I’ve heard good things about Retro Resus down in Taunton, but haven’t used them myself.
hope you are sorted soon
cherrs
Colin and Steffi

Or try Scottys in Wendlebury just outside Bicester towards M40

Sorry to read this Steve.
I’ve heard good things about Retro Resus down in Taunton, but haven’t used them myself.
hope you are sorted soon
cherrs
Colin and Steffi
Hi Both, not expecting to hear for you here but thanks anyway!
I need to get this sorted sharpish as this is my tow car for the season!
Catch up soon ....
S

Hi Both, not expecting to hear for you here but thanks anyway!
I need to get this sorted sharpish as this is my tow car for the season!
Catch up soon ....
S
Keep us posted Steve, and let us know if we can help :)

Tamfet kit and blank. If access wasn't an issue its an easy fit as its 4 bolts and a couple of plugs. At 25k miles you should be fine as the van would have had numerous oil changes over the previous 14yrs

Jury is still out on the D cooler

Thanks, I understand that the D suffix cooler is not a silver bullet but apparently it’s the best option if you want to keep the van standard.

Beginning to read about the Tafmet kit .. where are these available?
Does this setup remove the need for the cooler so effectively deleting it? … and what is the impact on the DPF?
I assume these changes to emissions systems may cause problems with the MOT test, so good to hear from people with experiences of this.
Thanks
Steve

Pure Internet speculation but I've noticed an apparent correlation between towing and the dreaded egr failure.

Thanks, I understand that the D suffix cooler is not a silver bullet but apparently it’s the best option if you want to keep the van standard.

Does this setup remove the need for the cooler so effectively deleting it? … and what is the impact on the DPF?
I assume these changes to emissions systems may cause problems with the MOT test, so good to hear from people with experiences of this.
Thanks
Steve
No it emulats the cooler and you add blanking plates. Thats the fiddly bit as there is no working room and you need to "ease" the bend a little to take up the thickness of the plate.

Doesnt cause an issue with the DPF or emissions. But it may be worth adding a plug and some wiring to the old EGR connection (the Tamfet connects to the loom / plug that once connected into the EGR)

Thanks
Steve
My guys fitted the darkside development blanking kit. Doesn't impact the DPF and passes the MOT no issue. I did have to have the ECU remapped to remove the emissions light, which cost another 100 quid.

Darkside also do a complete EGR replacement kit, which obviously costs more.

Worth dropping Darkside a line, they know a huge amount about the CFCA engines and this problem in particular.

Last edited:
My guys fitted the darkside development blanking kit. Doesn't impact the DPF and passes the MOT no issue. I did have to have the ECU remapped to remove the emissions light, which cost another 100 quid.

Darkside also do a complete EGR replacement kit, which obviously costs more.

Worth dropping Darkside a line, they know a huge amount about the CFCA engines and this problem in particular.
Very interesting, I've been reading the Darkside Blog and I was going to call them anyway .... they do seem to know their stuff!
Good to hear real customer experience though ... thanks!

Very interesting, I've been reading the Darkside Blog and I was going to call them anyway .... they do seem to know their stuff!
Good to hear real customer experience though ... thanks!
You are confusing 2 problems with the CFCA engine.
2010/11 CFCA engines. Some had a manufacturing problem recognised by VW who have TPI listing engine numbers affected and the repair process.

2012 + CFCA engines. Some, not all by anymeans, have suffered increased oil consumption due to corrosion in the EGR cooler and cylinder bore damage. This IS NOT accepted by VW. Ultimate cause of the EGR cooler damage is not known. All versions of the EGR have caused this BUT not all EGRs are affected. Normally occurs around about 60,000× miles.

You are confusing 2 problems with the CFCA engine.
2010/11 CFCA engines. Some had a manufacturing problem recognised by VW who have TPI listing engine numbers affected and the repair process.

2012 + CFCA engines. Some, not all by anymeans, have suffered increased oil consumption due to corrosion in the EGR cooler and cylinder bore damage. This IS NOT accepted by VW. Ultimate cause of the EGR cooler damage is not known. All versions of the EGR have caused this BUT not all EGRs are affected. Normally occurs around about 60,000× miles.
My EGR fault - insufficient flow - has caused me to look into things and raised my awareness of the other potential problem of the cooler disintegrating and trashing my engine at some point in the future. Having googled around, this seems to be a well known issue starting with the 2010 T5.1/180hp CFCA combination and the non-suffix cooler.

I want to avoid this possible damage by taking action now.

My Cali is 2010 CFCA so please let me know where I can find out if my engine is on the list of affected units ... what is a TPI ??

Thanks,
S

My EGR fault - insufficient flow - has caused me to look into things and raised my awareness of the other potential problem of the cooler disintegrating and trashing my engine at some point in the future. Having googled around, this seems to be a well known issue starting with the 2010 T5.1/180hp CFCA combination and the non-suffix cooler.

My Cali is 2010 CFCA so please let me know where I can find out if my engine is on the list of affected units ... what is a TPI ??

Thanks,
S

"CFCA engine oil consumption too high (2039830-5)"

Post 444

Post in thread 'Increased Oil Consumption Problem (2010 T5 Cali 180 bhp)' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...roblem-2010-t5-cali-180-bhp.15142/post-544408

I have a 2014 180 biturbo now on 127,000 miles.
Oil consumption 0mls between annual 15,000 mile oil changes.

Thanks,
S
Back at the computer now.
Here is a pdf of the VW TPI

Attachments

• 15bb861f-3219-4e70-a67f-b0983f071895_t5+oil+consumption.pdf
    236.8 KB · Views: 30
I have the same model - 2010 biturbo. Engine light started coming on at 46000 miles. EGR now blanked off, software update installed (I think to ignore EGR complaining), all now ok. Hopefully I’ve avoided the oil consumption problem that VW says is not their fault. Cost less than £250,, carried out at my local independent near Cardiff.

I have the same model - 2010 biturbo. Engine light started coming on at 46000 miles. EGR now blanked off, software update installed (I think to ignore EGR complaining), all now ok. Hopefully I’ve avoided the oil consumption problem that VW says is not their fault. Cost less than £250,, carried out at my local independent near Cardiff.
Just doing an oil analysis test and hoping I've caught it in time ... if oil okay I'm tending towards the blanking-off/ remap route or Taffeta and blanking-off.

Just doing an oil analysis test and hoping I've caught it in time ... if oil okay I'm tending towards the blanking-off/ remap route or Taffeta and blanking-off.
Should read Tafmet ... bl00dy autocorrect!

Trying to understand that document and still no clearer as to whether my vehicle qualifies for the repair
After 13 + yrs I very much doubt if you would get any goodwill from VW.

Back