Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EGR short/open :(

sebking

sebking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
100 miles from home, 4 up and with a trailer + boat and the message "engine fault workshop" appears + yellow coil and engine light. Nice. No power at all.

Looks like EGR is dead - lots of errors. AA have disconnected and we've made it home actually running far better then for ages!

Off to Dealer on Tuesday for my first out of warranty repair.

Seb have you had it changed before or will this be the first time :?:

This will be the 1st time. Interwebs suggest that there is a revised part... as always

I had mine replaced last year at 17k under warranty same year and model as yours

Well £650 later an mine has been replaced. Cars do go wrong and that's fair but a little digging:

So on the 2010 T5.1 model 2.0 140 there is a known issue with the EGR or rather it is known by the garages and the forums but VW refuse to confirm even though they are on the third variant and the dealer across their sites has done 200 now.

We tried for a goodwill contribution and VW have refused. . .so far.

sebking said:
100 miles from home, 4 up and with a trailer + boat and the message "engine fault workshop" appears + yellow coil and engine light. Nice. No power at all.

Looks like EGR is dead - lots of errors. AA have disconnected and we've made it home actually running far better then for ages!

Off to Dealer on Tuesday for my first out of warranty repair.

I had the same thing 10days ago on the M5 near Taunton. Went straight to VW at Bridgenorth and asked them to take a look. Diagnosed and carried out a software update and also found a fault on a flap in the ventilation system. Again performed a software update. No problem since around 500 miles. I can recommend VW Bridgenorth for fast and brilliant service. They even took us along to a local eatery whilst they looked at the van.
For information there is no longer a VW Van centre at Taunton. I was directed to Bridgenorth by a very nice lady who used to work for VW Taunton.

I read on various forums that you can blank the egr valve off with a blanking plate.
1 is this possible
2 what are the repercussions
3 is it an mot failure
4 help
john :help

When we had a Bongo it was a fairly common thing to blank off the EGR, dead easy to do. It did improve power and mpg very slightly and it seemed to run more smoothly.
No repercussions on ours with MOTs in fact the tester said it was cleaner than a lot of more modern diesels.
However, the EGR does have the effect of cooling the engine a bit and if you don't use "proper" fuel as opposed to supermarket stuff it can cause problems. We had it once on the Bongo where we had filled up three times running with supermarket fuel and it went into limp mode. Refilling with non supermarket fuel and the problem disappeared.
Also I suppose that a Canbus system would have a fit unless it can be coded out somehow and it certainly would invalidate any warranty.

Back