Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hook up flap

Has anyone had a problem with the external power cover flap ? - i have a Beach - on recent euro trip i noticed the flap would not secure and start flapping - i put some insulation tape over it as a temporary fix, but it didnt hold and has actually flapped off somewhere around Mannheim - i will try and get a new one under warranty, but wondered if its a common fault. Thanks

This will happen after a while. In the german Caliboard are some posts about that.
They recommend to buy thin magnets and fix them with instand adhesive.

Has anyone had a problem with the external power cover flap ? - i have a Beach - on recent euro trip i noticed the flap would not secure and start flapping - i put some insulation tape over it as a temporary fix, but it didnt hold and has actually flapped off somewhere around Mannheim - i will try and get a new one under warranty, but wondered if its a common fault. Thanks

Hi

I've merged this with another thread relating to EHU flap. Plenty of info above and probably more to follow now :)

Velcro was my last solution.:thumb

Just +1 really...

When our Cali was new in 2013, I occasionally noticed (in the mirror) the flap flapping & stopped to shut it firmly.
Having learned to shut it firmly, it was OK for the next 5 years.

Last week I saw it flapping again, but this time it would not shut firmly at all.
It seems to have developed lots of play at the front pivot, so no longer engages the bottom clip.
Not cracked though, as far as I can see.

I am trying Velcro as a first attempted fix - OK so far...

How long do the Velcro & Magnetic Tape fixes usually last?

My flap nearly flapped off today, its been flapping for quite a
while now, it was flapping away like a good´n yesterday, on closer
inspection i´ve noticed cracks have appeared from each side of the
hinge, so its buggered.

I´ve seen that you can buy either the full socket or just the flap.
I´m thinking that the full socket will be easier to fit rather than pissing
about with the spring loaded flap.
Full socket = 16€
Flap = 8€
Unless someone has done the flap only and can say it´s an easy thing
i think i´m gonna blow the budget and go for a new socket. :D

My flap nearly flapped off today, its been flapping for quite a
while now, it was flapping away like a good´n yesterday, on closer
inspection i´ve noticed cracks have appeared from each side of the
hinge, so its buggered.

I´ve seen that you can buy either the full socket or just the flap.
I´m thinking that the full socket will be easier to fit rather than pissing
about with the spring loaded flap.
Full socket = 16€
Flap = 8€
Unless someone has done the flap only and can say it´s an easy thing
i think i´m gonna blow the budget and go for a new socket. :D
I replaced the socket took me 10 mins couldn't be easier

Mine's been flapping away for months too. The flap is now broken, so looking for a replacement. Anyone found one?

Same issue, just returned from Spain and saw the movement in the mirror, thought it was something from bike rack initially.. Couldnt stop immediately. Eventually stopped and saw it was the flap issue.. Pushed it closed and it started again... and again... Just the worry of it blowing off.. Not good..

Never even hooked her up... so it must be a fault..

Just done the velcro trick from above. Would recommend everyone doing it before travel.. One less thing to worry about. Thanks to the forum as usual for having the answers...

Same issue, just returned from Spain and saw the movement in the mirror, thought it was something from bike rack initially.. Couldnt stop immediately. Eventually stopped and saw it was the flap issue.. Pushed it closed and it started again... and again... Just the worry of it blowing off.. Not good..

Never even hooked her up... so it must be a fault..

Just done the velcro trick from above. Would recommend everyone doing it before travel.. One less thing to worry about. Thanks to the forum as usual for having the answers...

Glad to be of assistance. My Velcro solution is still solid months later.

This old merged thread is a disjointed mess but it did lead me to the hook up socket on eBay after ours started flapping. We have extended warranty but getting anything done requires a wait and 2 trips to the muppet dealer: one to check one to fit. As the part was only £12.90 I decided to do it myself. It’s a 10 min job and anyone that can wire a plug can do it. You don’t even have to open the tailgate: just 4 torx screws from outside and 3 wires to connect. The eBay socket isn’t identical but fits perfectly. Photos of old and new sockets and links below.

11A35E52-4427-4FF3-9E55-CE8A314FB5C5.jpeg

FE801439-807E-463F-B70E-170669DED6AB.jpeg

B8D8D2DC-961D-402E-AD0F-E366CEEEC1D8.jpeg

44ECC744-D804-4AEA-BF77-C1637D7D5AFB.jpeg