Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hook up flap

mines a beach. definitely spring loaded in the hinge.but is a weak spring.

on my travels and the inlet lid has become loose. The thing is flapping as I drive along. Apart from taping it shut has anyone found an easy fix and also is changing the whole unit an easy job?

Have you tried giving it a little push after closing?

sometimes it doesn't quite click into place, looks closed but a little push on the bottom edge does the job.

Have you tried giving it a little push after closing?

sometimes it doesn't quite click into place, looks closed but a little push on the bottom edge does the job.
Mine used to need a bit of force to click shut but I guess 3 weeks of Spanish sunshine have ruined it.

As so many of us are having the same issue perhaps VW should help us out. A class action perhaps.

I started a new thread after trying all sorts of search terms. Happily Loz sorted my post out.

All happy now. I have merged your thread with others that are on the same vein so hopefully you will get an answer.

It can be difficult knowing where and what to post, especially when there is a little ambiguity as to what belongs in what section. If you need any help, just yell.

Mine used to need a bit of force to click shut but I guess 3 weeks of Spanish sunshine have ruined it.

As so many of us are having the same issue perhaps VW should help us out. A class action perhaps.

O'm beginning to think it may be a heat problem. I'm no engineer, in fact I'm to engineering what Genghis Khan was to world peace, but it does seem to be a bit of a flimsy catch that if it's made of anything that distorts with heat will soon give up the ghost.

I repeatedly forgot to close my T5 conversion flap & eventually it destroyed itself flapping in the wind at high speed.

I replaced the whole unit in a few minutes with a c. £20 eBay replacement, but it was less complex than the Ocean variant.

A replacement socket is easy to source and fit, but you will need a Torx screwdriver to remove the socket from the side of the van.

The cables behind it are just the same as changing a 13amp plug in your home. Can all be done from outside the van.

I was lazy and got my replacement from my VW dealer, but the bay has them too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/240v-Carav...ains-Inlet-Black/17017005806?iid=151252615875

Don't be tempted to use another type as the fixing holes have to align with the holes in the body panel behind the plastic trim.

Alan

Last edited:
Mine has just started to flap in the last week, left at the airport for a week thought someone had tampered with it but maybe it was the heat of the sun.

Mine was a tight fit with a positive click but now just about holding on. Will get the dealer to look at it when sorting out the other issues :(

A replacement socket is easy to source and fit, but you will need a Torx screwdriver to remove the socket from the side of the van.

The cables behind it are just the same as changing a 13amp plug in your home. Can all be done from outside the van.

I was lazy and got my replacement from my VW dealer, but the bay has them too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/240v-Carav...ains-Inlet-Black/17017005806?iid=151252615875

Don't be tempted to use another type as the fixing holes have to align with the holes in the body panel behind the plastic trim.

Alan
Is this an exact fit for the cali as I've caught my flap with the foam brush while cleaning the van and it's cracked

Is this an exact fit for the cali as I've caught my flap with the foam brush while cleaning the van and it's cracked
As far as I can see it is exactly the same item.

Alan

Oh ok I thought you'd bought and fitted one yourself
Yes I did, except I bought a replacement from my local VW dealer, a bit lazy really, as I was in there for something else at the time.

I did fit it myself though which is very easy to do.

Alan

Yes I did, except I bought a replacement from my local VW dealer, a bit lazy really, as I was in there for something else at the time.

I did fit it myself though which is very easy to do.

Alan
I'm with you I have no problem fitting it myself but concerned about the thing actually fitting the cali

I'm booked in 2nd of August for mainly my roof bellows looking at. but I mentioned the hook up flap to them too. I also reckon it's a heat thing. I like the Velcro pads idea on this thread. sorry if some people don't like repeated threads.they are easy to ignore if you choose.I don't like repeated tv.. I just don't watch it.easy. digressing a bit I don't know why a forum member chooses to tell people off with lines like ' you should no better '. for posting a thread in the wrong section. it's more annoying than eBay feedback requests on that new pillow case you bought. the forum will become a static web page if people don't chat or repeat and update similar problems. rant over.

Black Velcro has solved the problem.

Now vehicles around me aren’t waving back at me any more. :welcome
Hello.
I have same problem, where did you buy the black velcro pads from and are they self adhesive?

Search for black velcro dots or velcro coins. I bought mine from a home delivery service named after brave warrior women and a long wet thing in South America.

I have looked at my order and it says “Velcro brand stick on squares 25mm black pack of 24.” You can select the colour - either white or black. Yes they are self adhesive.

I trimmed the corner off to fit them on the housing but you don’t need to trim them on the flap.

Last edited:
I'm with you I have no problem fitting it myself but concerned about the thing actually fitting the cali
I can confirm that the item advertised is an exact match and took me 10 mins to fit well worth the £11 paid and a much cheaper option than buying from vw