Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hook up flap

AndrewBye

AndrewBye

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, does anyone know where I can source a replacement cap/flap for the external electric hook up cover , I left mine open and it’s now damaged and won’t close.

Thanks

There is a guy on here with a 3D printer who does a few VW Cali bits, @Bigted. Maybe he can help?

EDIT : Or there is this on Ebay, but you'd need to check dimensions to see if it fits.

Hi,

During the daily commute today I noticed the EHU cover flapping away in my wing mirror. Once stopped, I went to close and it appears to have lost its ability to click in place (close), it now just rests lazily?! Never had any previous issues, so I'm a little puzzled as to why??

Anyone else experienced this, is it common?? FYI, my Beach is only 1 year old.

Richie

Hi,

During the daily commute today I noticed the EHU cover flapping away in my wing mirror. Once stopped, I went to close and it appears to have lost its ability to click in place (close), it now just rests lazily?! Never had any previous issues, so I'm a little puzzled as to why??

Anyone else experienced this, is it common?? FYI, my Beach is only 1 year old.

Richie

I don't know why but it should click shut. Take it back and get a new one under warranty.

Check along the top hinge/spring bit - probably cracked.

On my van the flap needs quite a firm press to clip into place. I believe that is quite a common 'feature' with the Cali EHU cover.

Just ignore me if it's some other problem.

Mine is held together with self adhesive magnetic tape . Got the tip of off the forum must be a thread on it somewhere .

Mine was clicking nicely into place until about a month ago when the click just stopped - no visible sign of damage. I was in a rush to fix before we went on holiday so instead of self adhesive magnets I cut up a thin fridge magnet and glued bits under the flap. The magnets just hold against the screws on the body. I hope this fix keeps working because it’s so annoying and distracting when the ehu flap flaps on the motorway!!

Thanks all, Its funny, yesterday an SE drove past me with it's EHU flap flapping away! I'm pleased I'm not alone!!

I noticed the same yesterday. I could not get it to stick. It seems it has cracked in the hinge on top right.

We’ve got this problem too. A warranty replacement seems like the answer.

Now our is flapping.. Its usually a tight fit. Perhaps it’s hot and has expanded in this long warm weather.

Last edited:
Now our is flapping.. Its usually a tight fit. Perhaps it’s hot and has expanded in this long very weather.
Must be something in the air as ours is doing it too after a 3 hour drive home last night. Because of this thread, I deliberately checked it before leaving and it was tightly closed as normal...

mine just started doing it as well. always not he same journey. I couldn't get it to click into place so just switched my brain off to it. it seems now to have sorted itself out as during a trip to lands end and back it hasn't opened at all even at speeds up to 80MPH!

Mine was flapping on the M4 today I think the heat as warped it enough to no longer catch when it is pressed closed.

Hi, does anyone know where I can source a replacement cap/flap for the external electric hook up cover , I left mine open and it’s now damaged and won’t close.

Thanks
Any joy, mine seems to have distorted in the heat and doesn't fasten anymore...!!!!

Magnets have stopped working- I think the cheap fridge magnets I was using have lost their magnetism due to heat when parked in direct sunlight. I have now resorted to self adhesive Velcro to keep the EHU flap shut !

Had my van now 6 months and mine flaps about too. No obvious cracks or anything. I’ve used blue tack just now until I take it in for a couple of warranty issues.

Not really Beach specific but driving to work today I noticed my EHU cover flapping in the wind. On closer inspection it wouldn't click shut (can't remember if it ever did). Perhaps it used to close more firmly and the spring has been stretched for some reason. There is just a single spring on one side, do other owner have two?

No best I can find is direct from vow which comes in just under £40

mine too is flapping about in the wind when driving. shouldthre be 2 springs holding it shut or just 1? mine has 1 spring.wonderingifi could fit an extra spring in there on the hinge

mine too is flapping about in the wind when driving. shouldthre be 2 springs holding it shut or just 1? mine has 1 spring.wonderingifi could fit an extra spring in there on the hinge
Wasn't aware of any spring. Mine has some sort of latch, have to push it shut else it flaps around whilst driving.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

on my travels and the inlet lid has become loose. The thing is flapping as I drive along. Apart from taping it shut has anyone found an easy fix and also is changing the whole unit an easy job?