Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Hookup Warning.

S

Shadrack

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi to all,

My hookup in my garage is always plugged in so I have the risk of possibly forgetting it when backing out.
(I had a senior moment a while back and luckily got away with it).
I do the usual and put something on the drivers seat, papers on display etc.

I decided to see what could be done to help minimise the risk. I came up with the idea of a warning buzzer if cable left plugged in with power on or not. (With power on I do get warning sound from panel)

I have mounted a reed switch on the outside of the hookup socket inside the van. On the hookup lead plug I have attached a tiny but strong magnet. This activates the switch that connects to a buzzer when it’s plugged in. The supply I have decided to pick up from the rear brake light as to start engine I have to put foot on brake.
If the cable is left in the magnet activates the switch, then if I put foot on brake it supples the 12v to the buzzer.
All seems to work but I still have to tidy up and and to permanently fix things. I have managed to bust a few reeds in the developing process being glass but I am using up bits I have. Reeds switches such as those used in alarms are set in resin and a lot tougher
All bits used would cost less than a tenner.
I can take a few pics when tidy along with a diagram if anyone would want to try a similar sort of project.

I believe it's not ideal to leave the batteries charging the whole time, you need to allow them to discharge somewhat before you recharge...
You do you though... Just wanted to say :thumb

I always check my mirrors before reversing or, indeed, driving off. You should be able to see your hook up socket in your LH door mirror

I use an a4 laminated sheet which I place in front of the dash behind the steering wheel.

Mirrors are useful, of course. But not so much in the dark.

I always check my mirrors before reversing or, indeed, driving off. You should be able to see your hook up socket in your LH door mirror
When we park in the garage we have to have the mirrors folded in...

When we park in the garage we have to have the mirrors folded in...
So that’s your cue then; mirrors folded in, can’t see the hook up socket, need to check if connected

Pop the bonnet off the release catch when hooked up. Then you will get a warning on the dash when you start the van.

my 2016 ocean t6 warns you if you start up with the cable plugged in