Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric hookup

P

Phil Smith

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Good morning everyone. We are taking the van away for a week on Friday, as we have done many times before , but for the first time yet my partner has asked if she can use hair straighteners on electric hookup ? If she uses them while we don't have anything else running off the hookup, will they be ok ? Thankyou .

Amps=Watts/volts so 1000watts at 240 volts is a little over 4 amps. Most hook-ups are about 16amps. So unless you have a monstrous set of hair straighteners you should be ok.

Thankyou both very much for your reply

Phil

I understand you pain...
I get an ear bashing everytime i take her away with no hook-up. Bloody Straighteners :headbang

Thankyou , good idea , kettle not a problem, l have gas kettle . Thanks anyway.

If you straighteners are 250watts then from a 12v supply these will draw 20amps. Hope you have an excellent leisure battery! You will find out if not.

If you straighteners are 250watts then from a 12v supply these will draw 20amps. Hope you have an excellent leisure battery! You will find out if not.
250W at 240V is less than 1A at 12v. Straighteners seem to peak on average at 300W in the first minute, even then it would draw less than 2A from 12v. So well within the 10A or 15A of a standard cig plug.

250W at 240V is less than 1A at 12v. Straighteners seem to peak on average at 300W in the first minute, even then it would draw less than 2A from 12v. So well within the 10A or 15A of a standard cig plug.
Are you sure about that? 240W at 240V is 1A 240W at 12V is 20A so double the 10A capacity of the standard plug.

I think you need a new calculator. :thumb

Good morning everyone. We are taking the van away for a week on Friday, as we have done many times before , but for the first time yet my partner has asked if she can use hair straighteners on electric hookup ? If she uses them while we don't have anything else running off the hookup, will they be ok ? Thankyou .

just to confirm wife uses her GHD straighteners on hookup every day when we are away, absolutely no issues at all:thumb

We are on a site now in mid Wales I’ve had a 2kw heater, Electric camping kettle and a toaster all going at the same time and not tripped off.

Excellent, good to know . Thankyou , have a good trip .

Might I cause a problem to my van or would it trip if I got the calculations wrong?

i don’t know what the calculation is but I’m charging my phone, running my beats pill and my heater....so far so good. Oh, and I use the hairdryer too....I only have 3 sockets.

i will use this week to get my head around the calculation, me thinks!

Might I cause a problem to my van or would it trip if I got the calculations wrong?

i don’t know what the calculation is but I’m charging my phone, running my beats pill and my heater....so far so good. Oh, and I use the hairdryer too....I only have 3 sockets.

i will use this week to get my head around the calculation, me thinks!
Ignore anything plugged into the 12v sockets. Only the Mains, 3 pin , sockets count in practice.

The calculation is fairly simple. Anything you plug into the Mains socket should have a table saying how many Watts it is.
Divide watts by 240 and add 2 and that would give the number of AMPS of electricity. If the number is greater than 12, in the UK, you could trigger the Campsite power supply circuit breaker.

On the continent the figure could be 6 0r 10 depending on the campsite.

Unlikely to cause any problems to your California but any Great Whites watching Corrie or Eastenders may not be happy.:shocked

Thank you.
I’ll spend tonight listing my appliances - another item for my list, but that‘s been playing on my mind

Back