Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

electric hookup

S

shleeford

Hi all

Be gentle, first post. I have borrowed a T5 California from a friend whilst they are away and am planning going away for the weekend, i have noticed this evening there is no electric hook up cable in the van, i have a few questions so bear with me

first one can i use a normal caravan hook up cable, all seems to fit but ive noticed a blue lever in the socket, does this need to be down to work?

and secondly, if the hook up wont work, how long will be battery run for, ive got an 18 month old so need to keep the van pretty warm in the night.

thanks all

Lee

Hi Shleeford,

Welcome to the forum. Borrowing a Cali is a good way to find out if this vehicle is right for you.

The blue CEE 16Amp plug and socket system used on the Cali is standard and the same as that used on caravans, so no problem there. The blue lever in the socket on the side of the van just locks the lid of the plug into the socket for security. Press the lever down to release the plug when you need to disconnect the cable. The square lid of the socket will slope down over the plug providing a little rain shelter.

Provided the batteries are all fully charged, you can check this on the flight panel display, then you should be good for 3-4 days without hook up. At this time of the year you will only using the fridge which has a small intermittent current drain. If the leisure batteries do get too low, the roof may be reluctant to close. If so, start the engine and run it for a couple of minutes and then all should work OK.

Don't run the radio too often though, as that runs off the engine battery and you risk not being able to start the Cali when you need to leave, it is surprisingly thirsty. The radio will switch off after about an hour to prevent this drain, but you can just switch it back on for another hour. To many hours equals a flat engine battery.

When closing the roof do have a window or door open and check that the bellows are all folding inwards on all sides. The operating levers have sharp edges and will cut the fabric if it gets caught in them. Your friend may no longer be a friend if this happens on your watch.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Alan

Thanks so much, I did wonder what it was for. I'll report back how the weekend went and hopefully when I'll be putchasing my own Cali

Thanks

Lee