Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric roof

C

Chinny

Hi I'm not a Cali owner but I am having a Cali roof fitted I assume it's from a write off poor souls , can't stretch to the real deal but this is a good second just wondering the good the bad and the ugly of roof ownership is it comfy I know my kids will love it any useful tips experiences etc greatly received cheers

Roof bed is very comfy - most people agree it is comfier than the downstairs one.

I assume you are getting the push up ceiling/bed installed from the Cali as well - that is much neater than most conversions.

The shutter that stops the tent falling down is also very neat.

I think if I was getting one installed I would skip the electric bit and just get a beach roof. The electric roof is very posh for showing off - but feels like it will go wrong one day.

Assuming you are getting the electric roof (from the title) - are you getting the Cali control panel as well?

Roof bed is very comfy - most people agree it is comfier than the downstairs one.

I assume you are getting the push up ceiling/bed installed from the Cali as well - that is much neater than most conversions.

The shutter that stops the tent falling down is also very neat.

I think if I was getting one installed I would skip the electric bit and just get a beach roof. The electric roof is very posh for showing off - but feels like it will go wrong one day.

Assuming you are getting the electric roof (from the title) - are you getting the Cali control panel as well?
Yes electric instead of a full blown controller I get a
Hi I'm not a Cali owner but I am having a Cali roof fitted I assume it's from a write off poor souls , can't stretch to the real deal but this is a good second just wondering the good the bad and the ugly of roof ownership is it comfy I know my kids will love it any useful tips experiences etc greatly received cheers
hi yes its electric instead of a full blown controller theres a relay going in to a rocker safety switch all being done by premier campers hes fitted 30 in the last year or so very good at what they do cant wait I know what you mean about going wrong but theres not many of these around and its its in my t5 colour reflex silver so no need to paint kids will enjoy the wow factor cheers

Nice and airy roof, a vw child safety net might of use to you, stops all the pillows/ bedding and kids dropping through the gap. Don't forget the roof bungy as well and to open the sliding door when raising/ lowering roof.

Just be careful closing. Being electric it doesn't stop if the bellows get caught. Just chops through or if really jammed in mechanism can bend roof.
1. Always have a door open on downwind side when lowering.
2. Do not close shutter until roof fully lowered.
3. Fit a Bellows Bungee - see forum shop.
4. Always stop lowering roof when about 1/3 way down and check canvas bellows is folding inwards correctly before proceeding.
5. Make sure you can Manually depressurise the roof hydraulics if it fails in the Up position. On the California there is a bleed screw to manually lower the roof.
6. You need the Velcro straps and plastic clips for the roof rails to tie down a malfunctioning roof so that you can drive, or tie down strap of some sort.
7. Do Not leave anything, except the correct California mattress, on the upper bed. The roof will close and buckle. People have left very thin Mattress Toppers up there without a problem.

Nice and airy roof, a vw child safety net might of use to you, stops all the pillows/ bedding and kids dropping through the gap. Don't forget the roof bungy as well and to open the sliding door when raising/ lowering roof.
cheers don't know if I will get a safety net but would like one thanks for the heads up, feel a bit of a fraud posting on here but what the heck ive got a small piece of California dreaming, been waiting for a roof for a long time plan on sleeping up top 90% so I can lounge downstairs, stand up, oh the joy cheers.

The good? Best looking roof, lots of space, good in a gale, great bed although many still use a mattress topper or other solution. I thought it was fine as standard.
The ugly? You also unfortunately get corrosion around the rubber seal and over the front panel. There is a 150 page thread on the subject on here. If any corrosion is present on the the roof you are acquiring, it will be cheaper to deal with it before it is fitted, rather than later.

Just out of interest, do you have some contact details for premier campers? I have a friend that might be interested in doing this on his van.

You can find them on YouTube or face book I have a number for Mirko he's who I dealt with if you can't find contact details leave another post I will dig it out for you

OK thanks. I think I've found them. I hadn't appreciated they were based in Germany though.

Back