Electrical fault. HELP!!?!!

Elly Swanson

Elly Swanson

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
T6 Ocean.

Today the keys would not unlock the van. No light flash on the key. It was as if the key was dead. It was the same for both our keys. I unlocked the van manually with the key in the door and turned the engine on. Then it worked fine, locking and unlocking remotely.

A couple of week’s ago, my husband drove home and switched the engine off but the radio stayed on, even when the key was removed. Then the steering wheel lock wouldn’t function and the van wouldn’t lock remotely. He turned off the radio manually then got out of the van and locked it manually. He then unlocked it manually and turned the engine and radio on, same thing happened When he switched off! He repeated this about 6 times and the fault continued. On about the seventh attempt it all started working correctly.

We’ve used the van since with no problems until today when it wouldn’t unlock remotely.

Anyone got an idea of what the problem could be? Has it happened to anyone else?

flat button battery in the key

T6 Ocean.

Today the keys would not unlock the van. No light flash on the key. It was as if the key was dead. It was the same for both our keys. I unlocked the van manually with the key in the door and turned the engine on. Then it worked fine, locking and unlocking remotely.

A couple of week’s ago, my husband drove home and switched the engine off but the radio stayed on, even when the key was removed. Then the steering wheel lock wouldn’t function and the van wouldn’t lock remotely. He turned off the radio manually then got out of the van and locked it manually. He then unlocked it manually and turned the engine and radio on, same thing happened When he switched off! He repeated this about 6 times and the fault continued. On about the seventh attempt it all started working correctly.

We’ve used the van since with no problems until today when it wouldn’t unlock remotely.

Anyone got an idea of what the problem could be? Has it happened to anyone else?
This problem happened , on both occasions, at the same location?
It hasn’t happened anywhere else?

If that is the case it could be caused by some local electronic interference, possibly.

What causes interference with car remotes?

While Wi-Fi routers typically operate in the 2.4GHz radio band, as opposed to the 315MHz and 433.92MHz bands that car remotes operate in, they can still generate harmonic interference and even unintentional interference due to poor shielding or wiring. And so can a whole host of other wireless devices.

Last edited:
Thanks for the idea FB but it was the same with 2 different keys that have had different amounts of use. Also both keys have worked fine for weeks.
I know nobody does but you are supposed to change the battery in the fob every 2 years or so. Mercedes used to charge me £8 for a new battery until I told them I could fit one myself for less than £1.