Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door not unlocking

Kenb17

Kenb17

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Good afternoon,

Hoping someone can help or direct me to a solution (I have done a search but this looks a bit different to other posts). Our Cali is a 2013 180bmt SE, the side door is manual with the electric assist.

This morning I unlocked the van but the side door remained locked, other doors and boot unlocked. Lock and unlocked the van a few times and it did not unlock. This has happened before but usually it will unlock after a few attempts. The internal handle does not lift the lock in this circumstance.
It was early and air temperature was c4 degrees and there had been a ground frost if that is relevant.
Later on the unlock and sliding door worked.

This is concerning as I expect the same could happen from the inside, the internal handle didn’t release the lock so getting out in a hurry would need to be through the front doors.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Ken

Good afternoon,

Hoping someone can help or direct me to a solution (I have done a search but this looks a bit different to other posts). Our Cali is a 2013 180bmt SE, the side door is manual with the electric assist.

This morning I unlocked the van but the side door remained locked, other doors and boot unlocked. Lock and unlocked the van a few times and it did not unlock. This has happened before but usually it will unlock after a few attempts. The internal handle does not lift the lock in this circumstance.
It was early and air temperature was c4 degrees and there had been a ground frost if that is relevant.

This is concerning as I expect the same could happen from the inside, the internal handle didn’t release the lock so getting out in a hurry would need to be through the front doors.

Many thanks

Ken
Make sure the electrical contacts on the leading edge of the sliding door and the same on the rear of the Drivers B pillar are clean and shiny.

I had that too on my 2010. It happened to be the distance lock in the sliding door itself.
It is located underneath the door handle. The whole door trim will need to be removed.

Hi it’s quite a common problem across the whole transporter range and is caused by failure of the remote lock unit in the sliding door a new one will be required unfortunately.

Good afternoon,

Many thanks

Ken
I had the same. If you operate the internal handle several times the door will open.

Had the same problem with MY 19 Ocean. No quibbles, Door Control Unit was replaced under warranty. Pity they forgot to reconnect the spring in the bottom bracket that controls the door return. Damn dangerous if you park vehicle nose down hill, open the side door and pull back fully expecting the limit spring to hold the door from closing when you let go, but it doesn't! Reconnected myself.

Had the same problem with MY 19 Ocean. No quibbles, Door Control Unit was replaced under warranty.
Ours has started playing up will not open from inside - booked into Breeze for them to look at it. A couple of warranty issue this one is a real pain.

Back