Elevating Roof question?

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We all know about opening a downwind door/window when closing the elevating roof. But what about opening. Do you have door/window when opening it?

If you shut all the windows/doors but leave 1 window open an inch or so and hold a strip of paper by the gap and then open the roof there is quit a considerable flow of air inwards as the roof opens. This means the hydraulic rams or the Beach gas struts would be put under an additional strain to open the roof until the canvas air vents are exposed.

Personally, I make it a habit to have a window / door open on the up wind side to assist when opening.

Schoolboy physics at play here?

Mostly at least one door/window open. The pump has a lot of power, so it will open anyhow.
Closing will never work without at least one door open.

If the weater allows there’s always doors open when i set up the Cali roof , if it rains maybe i’ve done it with all closed .
But i never fully zip the windows closed and there are the two vents in the top.

If the weater allows there’s always doors open when i set up the Cali roof , if it rains maybe i’ve done it with all closed .
But i never fully zip the windows closed and there are the two vents in the top.
Agree about the 2 roof vents but they don’t really become functional until the roof is opened at least 30 cms or so.

Either a door or window completely open. Elevating or lowering, same procedure.

My roof canvas was really taught when i put it up 3 days ago,
its now gone a bit limp and the canvas looks a bit baggy, but
an equal bagginess at the front, only slightly.

Anyway, when i put the roof down, should i put it up before i put it
down or wont it really matter?
I think that i must have a seal or 2 slightly leaking oil.

Last edited:
@westfalia , if it came down just a bit will not raise when you try .
You must lower it first , say 20cm , then raise fully and then lower fully .
Thats the way i do it , been noticing mine lowering slightly on the right hand side only , if i lower it i noitce some difference when almost closed , it’s then when it shows most it’s uneven .
Let someone lower the roof while you stand in front , see the difference each side.

@westfalia , if it came down just a bit will not raise when you try .
You must lower it first , say 20cm , then raise fully and then lower fully .
Thats the way i do it , been noticing mine lowering slightly on the right hand side only , if i lower it i noitce some difference when almost closed , it’s then when it shows most it’s uneven .
Let someone lower the roof while you stand in front , see the difference each side.
I pressed the roof up button and it went up, waited until the
pump stopped screaming and then lowered it.

It came down level. :thumb

Back