Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof Damage (canvas and aluminium)

C

campbellgraeme

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Less than 2 weeks into ownership of a California and I managed to jam the canvas in the mechanism while closing the roof (without having a door/window open - what an idiot! :headbang). I nearly cried when I stepped out and saw the buckled roof edge, however having raised the roof and closed again, I THINK I’ve escaped with a nick in the fabric and a small kink along the edge of the aluminium roof. I’ll “tear-aid” the fabric. Should I worry about the kink in the roof panel?

i managed to fix mine by hitting it with the side of my hand to nearly invisible

Last edited:
Join the club of idiots ...been there , done that ...
On mine the buckle is very litle noticeble .

Don't worry about it :D

I had tear aid adorning the side of my canvas for three years and after the first three months I ceased to notice the bump in the roof.

The good bit is lesson learnt. Nothing beats mark one eyeball and a walk round when it's about 3/4 lowered. It not only prevents bumps in roof but also prevented me driving over my muddy boots on Saturday :shocked

Less than 2 weeks into ownership of a California and I managed to jam the canvas in the mechanism while closing the roof (without having a door/window open - what an idiot! :headbang). I nearly cried when I stepped out and saw the buckled roof edge, however having raised the roof and closed again, I THINK I’ve escaped with a nick in the fabric and a small kink along the edge of the aluminium roof. I’ll “tear-aid” the fabric. Should I worry about the kink in the roof panel?
A good dent remover should make it disappear for very little money.

Thanks everyone - I’m feeling much better already. I even think my heart rate may have returned to normal!

The dealer did it on our new T5 while preparing to deliver. Took me a while to get them to admit it, because it was an ex-demo. But luckily I had gone thru the car in detail and taken pictures. They changed the canvas and removed the dent in the roof - so all in all invisible. Less than a week later the car was destroyed in a car accident – but thats a whole different story :)

As has been said, buy yourself the Bellows Bungee. This always pulls the bellows in so that you are less likely to trap the bellows in the mechanism. Periodically retension the bungee. You can buy these from the club shop.

Welcome to the kink club. We wear our little dent with pride and now have a bellows bungee.

I’m not sure a bellows bungee will help if there isn’t a window or door open though, as you still need to let all that roof air out of the van somehow.

Only time I have caught mine (and broke the plastic stay that is stitched into the canvas) was on Dartmoor last year WITH a bungee cord on. Still pondering how to replace the stay but have ditched the bungee in favour of the walk around when three quarters down and again when fully closed. The slight kink in the aluminium seems to have straightened out through subsequent opening and closing (or my eyes have got used to it).

I did this two weeks ago. The door was open on the side away from the wind and I had a bungee cord fitted. It was windy but not too windy, so I don't understand how it happened. I have since tightened up the bungee more, and from now on will get out and check the fabric is not caught when the roof is part way down and the chimes happen. I can't believe how the roof has straightened out so the kink is only slightly visible, but I know it is there...

My tip is to stand up in the cab while lowering the roof and watch the bellows collapse from inside. You'll immediately notice if it folds outwards and can release the button to stop the roof before giving the canvas a tug to correct matters (unless it's the rear panel, which requires a trip round the back of the van to pop it back inwards).

It does Chime half way down, for a reason and tells you what to do on the screen. The Bungee is a Helper not a Guarantee unfortunately.

Having said that, I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that someone had cords attached to the “Stays “ that he pulled as the roof lowered pulling the canvas inwards. That would work but you would still have to have doors/windows open and still wouldn’t be a 100% guarantee.

Even a Beach is not immune.

My tip is to stand up in the cab while lowering the roof and watch the bellows collapse from inside. You'll immediately notice if it folds outwards and can release the button to stop the roof before giving the canvas a tug to correct matters (unless it's the rear panel, which requires a trip round the back of the van to pop it back inwards).
I use the same method and touch wood, so far so good!

A bungee, to me, says look at me, i´ve got a fancy electric roof but i´m
incompetent.
Its an incontinence bag.

I´ve only ever once bent my roof and a bungee wouldn't have helped
we were hurricane chasing at the time :D

Agree, that's what I do every time. The vacuum generated on the lee side can easily suck the canvas outwards into the closing mechanism.

A bungee, to me, says look at me, i´ve got a fancy electric roof but i´m
incompetent.
Its an incontinence bag.

I´ve only ever once bent my roof and a bungee wouldn't have helped
we were hurricane chasing at the time :D
No need to get nasty. Better Incontinence than Manual Removal, or a case of Excessive Wind.:eek:

For me there is no substitute for mark 1 eyeball.

My only time was on a still, sunny morning, with a bungee strap and following all the rules. Now, even if 99% certain, I still take an extra 20 seconds to leap out of the van when the roof is 2/3rds down to check the canvas is where it should be.

Back