Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emergency brake assist if some sort.

andyinluton

andyinluton

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Driving today I’ve had some sort of brake assist kick in, but not sure what it was.

We were doing about 45mph with cruise control turned off in a straight line & the van slammed on the brakes down to about 10mph - there was a red warning sign lit up in the whole centre panel of the digital dash and a warning gong sounded.

The only thing of note on the road was a set of 3 yellow horizontal stripes painted on the road. I am aware of the warnings about cattle grids etc but thought that was only when adaptive cruise was turned on.
I didn’t realise there was any sort of system that kicked in at that speed without cruise.

Was anyone approaching from a side turn, car or person, i get that sometimes for those reasons.

As you say, at that speed its odd the only thing I know of is emergency city braking which I thought was activated at lower speeds. I thought may be litter or a bird in front of your radar but since your ACC was off neither of those sound that likely unless I'm wrong about the emergency city braking speed. Worth getting it looked at.

That would have been front assist at that speed, as mentioned, a crisp packet or a small bird crossing in front of you can do that. Wakes you up doesn’t it?

last Tuesday Mrs Loz had her life saved by front assist/city braking. She was out cycling and crossing a roundabout when a girl driving a golf came up on the roundabout quite fast and didn’t seem to see her crossing or the girl thought she could could get over, but the car did an emergency stop ending with the bumper touching Mrs Loz leg. The girl was a bit shocked and very apologetic but it saved the wife’s life.

Was anyone approaching from a side turn, car or person, i get that sometimes for those reasons.
Not another car in sight just the three yellow stripes across the road.

I don’t expect it will happen today as I have few warning lights up! 5B90EC58-D7EB-48AA-B9C7-D42D51A6F415.jpeg0C88C957-F2F1-4741-8D8F-1EE5C846279A.jpegB5308E4C-F49E-4B15-BAC8-28E4AD64CE47.jpeg7E525DF5-1C95-41C6-990A-35CA76346DFA.jpeg49B18A39-E181-4A23-8E68-318B700E6242.jpeg

Those are just the engine related ones. Have a few for control panel as well.

I was surprised today when my bus did an emergency stop as I was reversing up a steep and narrow drive with a big pot hole. Having read the manual I though city braking only engaged when driving forward.

Has anybody else experienced this?

I was surprised today when my bus did an emergency stop as I was reversing up a steep and narrow drive with a big pot hole. Having read the manual I though city braking only engaged when driving forward.

My Golf R definitely hit the brakes automatic in reverse if it thought I was about to hit wall or hedge behind it.

That’s one of the park assist functions kicking in, it can be a pain at times ie if you are deliberately trying to reverse up a kerb or the like.

Hi, interesting you replied to an old thread but thanks for doing so. I just bought a new Cali Ocean back in May. The extras i included were the ACC (with front-assist), side-assist and the auto-parking thingy. Whilst my van is under ACC control it brakes well and maintains safe distance behind a front moving vehicle. If the vehicle is stopped already it will do nada....and continue onto an almost collision. I think this is a "safety" feature of these functions so one doesn't rely on your van stopping at inanimate objects. I've not really experienced too much automatic breaking though of front-assist alone....once or twice it's flashed up but i smashed the breaks in horror anyway at apparent lack of danger!

My other experience with the park/side assist function which you may have is that it is super-sensitive. At low speeds it kicks in (which it's supposed to do)...but when driving down a narrow country road with overgrown hedges on your left...it's caused the van to slam on the breaks. I've had it when going up/down steep gradients too. It's pretty alarming....so guess that's what you had.

Driving today I’ve had some sort of brake assist kick in, but not sure what it was.

We were doing about 45mph with cruise control turned off in a straight line & the van slammed on the brakes down to about 10mph - there was a red warning sign lit up in the whole centre panel of the digital dash and a warning gong sounded.

The only thing of note on the road was a set of 3 yellow horizontal stripes painted on the road. I am aware of the warnings about cattle grids etc but thought that was only when adaptive cruise was turned on.
I didn’t realise there was any sort of system that kicked in at that speed without cruise.

Yes.

The collision avoidance system. It has a mind of it's own. It once slammed my brakes on as I was going around a roundabout, presumably because it thought I was going to crash into the leisure centre adjacent to the roundabout. All with bells and gongs going off and something that looked like a red demented spider appearing in my console screen.

I hated it. So pleased that in my downmarket, agricultural Ducato I can turn it off.

Back