Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Query over Adaptive Cruise with Emergency Breaking and Front Assist

S

Sue G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi everyone,
I just wondered whether anyone had experience of the Emergency Breaking and Front Assist that comes with the Adaptive Cruise Control on the Cali. Are they fine to use or a pain as I've heard they can suddenly break you without warning. Also can you disable them and are they automatically on as default? I read somewhere that if you turn them off you have a bright orange light constantly on your dash. We only really want the Adaptive cruise control but the other two come as part of the package. Not sure whether just best to go for the basic cruise control.
Any comments much appreciated.

I only had 1 false braking episode with the same system on my Touareg in 6 years and another because it needed realigning.
I have generally found it excellent and I would not advise trying to disabling AEB as this could invalidate your insurance if claiming after a bump.

Many thanks Mike and Hotel California, I shall do some reading!

I'm always extremely suspicious of figures and 45% seems rather high.
Whatever the true figure is it certainly seems to show that on balance they are an aid to safety so something else to throw into the pot when speccing your Cali.

Mike

Hi everyone,
I just wondered whether anyone had experience of the Emergency Breaking and Front Assist that comes with the Adaptive Cruise Control on the Cali. Are they fine to use or a pain as I've heard they can suddenly break you without warning. Also can you disable them and are they automatically on as default? I read somewhere that if you turn them off you have a bright orange light constantly on your dash. We only really want the Adaptive cruise control but the other two come as part of the package. Not sure whether just best to go for the basic cruise control.
Any comments much appreciated.
Hi, I have it in my Golf, and will have it in our new Cali. If it works the same, and I think it does, it is absolutely brilliant. We have had no false breaking, but it has saved me from two bumps my in towns. The ACC makes long motorway journeys very easy, and also stop and start traffic on slower roads. There's no way I could think of driving a car without it now!!!

Hi, I have it in my Golf, and will have it in our new Cali. If it works the same, and I think it does, it is absolutely brilliant. We have had no false breaking, but it has saved me from two bumps my in towns. The ACC makes long motorway journeys very easy, and also stop and start traffic on slower roads. There's no way I could think of driving a car without it now!!!
Salty , thanks for the feedback , my options list is now costing the price of a small car and i was wondering about how worthwhile this really was . How ever do you know if the 99 max cruise version is any different in functionality than the 130 mph ( apart from the speed ) . Thanks

I strongly recommend it, it really makes you more comfortable on the longer cruises. It might even save your life one day.
I have the standard version and it really does not work over 160kmh. I dont think there is another difference.

Go for the 130mph version as it is cheaper than the 99mph version because you get the multifunction steering wheel for free. (You need to spec it as a cost option if you go for the 99mph version)

Salty , thanks for the feedback , my options list is now costing the price of a small car and i was wondering about how worthwhile this really was . How ever do you know if the 99 max cruise version is any different in functionality than the 130 mph ( apart from the speed ) . Thanks
I can hardly remember the conversation with the dealer to that question. I think he said that they both behave in the same way, not sure why they even offer the 130mph actually. Worth asking, I thought 70 was the speed limit!
Expensive options...there came a point when I decided in for a Penny in for a
Pound, and I too spent the equaivalent of a house in France. But I don't regret it, it's something I've wanted for years, and finally, it's almost here. All logic when purchasing went out the electric sliding door....

For me starting point was that is more than I thought I would ever spend on a motor so there were no more boundaries to cross.
I certainly didn't want to spend that much and be disappointed

Mike

Go for the 130mph version as it is cheaper than the 99mph version because you get the multifunction steering wheel for free. (You need to spec it as a cost option if you go for the 99mph version)
That's very interesting and I noticed that it comes up as a free option one you take the 130 version , although two things on this , my dealer said it's not free and the VW configuration is wrong , also and this is a small point but that 'free' option doesn't include the dispLay control on the wheel , whatever that is ....it's confusing me ( also I specified the sat nav plus and that came up with the premium BTooth as required included free and the dealer also it is not free)

I'll go for it anyway as 90%of folk say it's great and good

I can hardly remember the conversation with the dealer to that question. I think he said that they both behave in the same way, not sure why they even offer the 130mph actually. Worth asking, I thought 70 was the speed limit!
Expensive options...there came a point when I decided in for a Penny in for a
Pound, and I too spent the equaivalent of a house in France. But I don't regret it, it's something I've wanted for years, and finally, it's almost here. All logic when purchasing went out the electric sliding door....
Me too I'm taking out the door, anyway lots of bad news on the electric door so no loss :)

For me starting point was that is more than I thought I would ever spend on a motor so there were no more boundaries to cross.
I certainly didn't want to spend that much and be disappointed

Mike
I agree it's amazing money and I am loosing rational sense on choosing options ... :)

That's very interesting and I noticed that it comes up as a free option one you take the 130 version , although two things on this , my dealer said it's not free and the VW configuration is wrong , also and this is a small point but that 'free' option doesn't include the dispLay control on the wheel , whatever that is ....it's confusing me ( also I specified the sat nav plus and that came up with the premium BTooth as required included free and the dealer also it is not free)

I'll go for it anyway as 90%of folk say it's great and good

I ordered the 130mph version and it also came up on the dealer quote also showing the MFSW was free

I ordered the 130mph version and it also came up on the dealer quote also showing the MFSW was free
Well , I know it does but I my dealer said the configurator is wrong and I have just now spoken with VW HQ and they confirm it is NOT included as indeed the configurator is wrong.... ???? at least I am just under ÂŁ60000 still PHEW ( LOL not )

Well , I know it does but I my dealer said the configurator is wrong and I have just now spoken with VW HQ and they confirm it is NOT included as indeed the configurator is wrong.... ???? at least I am just under ÂŁ60000 still PHEW ( LOL not )
Mmmm, got me worried now! Have a quote and have ordered based on the steering wheel being free. I assume the quote I got from the dealer was after he entered it in the system.

Mmmm, got me worried now! Have a quote and have ordered based on the steering wheel being free. I assume the quote I got from the dealer was after he entered it in the system.
Hmmm well if you've got an agreed office order signed by them and you and you've paid the deposit and it lists it on the order as an item and the total price is what you agreed I can't see you'll go wrong , they must be legally obliged , unless something's in the small print you signed up too ....my dealer was adamant it's extra , same with the premium Bluetooth and wifi and media plus sat nav , one one orders the sat nav mediaplus it says the premium BT is add on at no cost and it's not

This old thread does seem to indicate the MFSW is free with the 130mph version.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t6-beach-multifunction-steering-wheel.11923/
I wish it was true but I rang the HQ of VW today and spoke with them, they went away to find out and said no the configurator is wrong is not included . That's from the horses mouth , but if somehow the configurator confuses the dealer like it does us then maybe if you get a quote from the dealer with it free I think you are very lucky and good luck :)

I wish it was true but I rang the HQ of VW today and spoke with them, they went away to find out and said no the configurator is wrong is not included . That's from the horses mouth , but if somehow the configurator confuses the dealer like it does us then maybe if you get a quote from the dealer with it free I think you are very lucky and good luck :)

Mine was free with 130MPH ACC. I ordered during MY16 but it's delivered as a MY17 vehicle. Definitely a no-cost option but worth checking if this has specifically changed.

Mine was free with 130MPH ACC. I ordered during MY16 but it's delivered as a MY17 vehicle. Definitely a no-cost option but worth checking if this has specifically changed.

Yes its definitely a no cost option on the consumer configuration but not on the dealer configuration. VW has spoken !

I don't know what discount you got - maybe you added up your configuration list total and he came back with a price for that total as VW assures me that it's not a free addition ..at least not anymore. I'd love it to be of course , then I'd have the 130 version .

It would be interesting if another dealer would quote now on one and we could test this subject .

Back