Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emissions light

Scotclimb

Scotclimb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi again. I’ve been on discussing this recently and I’m still not free of it. I’ve had a forced regeneration done and the light keeps coming back. I’ve since bought a cheap code reader to see if it gives me any codes as I’m not convinced my mechanic is doing his best for me. I think he’s pushing for new dpf as he’s be quids in. Maybe I’m wrong and time will tell. Anyway this is what my code reader picked up.
In the picture. What confuses me is if tge dpf is clogged up at 57% as my mechanic suggests. Wouldn’t the light stay on permanently? It comes on for around 600 miles then goes off and comes back on again roughly the same period. Would this maf sensor be tge fault that’s causing the emissions light? Thanks in advance

26B8FA8D-D56B-4F70-8F9B-61DDC9F61D32.jpeg

Hi again. I’ve been on discussing this recently and I’m still not free of it. I’ve had a forced regeneration done and the light keeps coming back. I’ve since bought a cheap code reader to see if it gives me any codes as I’m not convinced my mechanic is doing his best for me. I think he’s pushing for new dpf as he’s be quids in. Maybe I’m wrong and time will tell. Anyway this is what my code reader picked up.
In the picture. What confuses me is if tge dpf is clogged up at 57% as my mechanic suggests. Wouldn’t the light stay on permanently? It comes on for around 600 miles then goes off and comes back on again roughly the same period. Would this maf sensor be tge fault that’s causing the emissions light? Thanks in advance

View attachment 87944
not 100% sure, but my money would be on a faulty exhaust pressure sensor? If I am not wrong, there are two - before and after the DPF. They may be faulty or the cables broken.

I am sure, more experienced people will come on to confirm. If no, will check the circuit diagram later in the day to confirm.

not 100% sure, but my money would be on a faulty exhaust pressure sensor? If I am not wrong, there are two - before and after the DPF. They may be faulty or the cables broken.

I am sure, more experienced people will come on to confirm. If no, will check the circuit diagram later in the day to confirm.
Great thanks for that. I’ll wait for your response
Do you think the maf sensor flagged up on tge code reader is worth changing aswell? Thanks

Great thanks for that. I’ll wait for your response
Do you think the maf sensor flagged up on tge code reader is worth changing aswell? Thanks

I think I am wrong in my earlier suggestion. Yours is a T5. For the below link I have chosen it as a 2013 model.

See component labelled - 15 in the link below.

I think you should replace the maf sensor first and in case that does not work, the replace the component labelled 15.

I think I am wrong in my earlier suggestion. Yours is a T5. For the below link I have chosen it as a 2013 model.

See component labelled - 15 in the link below.

I think you should replace the maf sensor first and in case that does not work, the replace the component labelled 15.
Thanks for the advice and link. Really helpful. When I change these items do I need to update the ecu or just swap them over? Thanks

I have a 2008 T5 and replaced that sensor (component 15) and it fixed everything. I did need to adapt it for ECU all detailed below. I haven’t changed MAF sensor.

When I use my code reader I always Google the codes. There’s so much VW info on the web. It often throws up YouTube videos of people fixing the problem. My code was different to yours but it seems possible it has the similar cause.
6CA9FF91-EBF6-45DD-B0A5-210136EDF543.jpeg
Getting sensor and fitting was cheap and easy. Doing the ‘adaptation’ is vital and a bit of a phaff. Fixed the problem though. All in instructions above.

Seems good idea to look at MAF first. Lots of YouTube videos on MAF.

Last edited:
I have a 2008 T5 and replaced that sensor (component 15) and it fixed everything. I did need to adapt it for ECU all detailed below. I haven’t changed MAF sensor.

When I use my code reader I always Google the codes. There’s so much VW info on the web. It often throws up YouTube videos of people fixing the problem. My code was different to yours but it seems possible it has the similar cause.
View attachment 87954
Getting sensor and fitting was cheap and easy. Doing the ‘adaptation’ is vital and a bit of a phaff. Fixed the problem though. All in instructions above.

Seems good idea to look at MAF first. Lots of YouTube videos on MAF.
I’ve just checked what I think is my exhaust pressure sensor and it looks like it’s 2018 part. Would this fail after 4 years or does this lean towards the dpf being at fault? Thanks

I’ve just checked what I think is my exhaust pressure sensor and it looks like it’s 2018 part. Would this fail after 4 years or does this lean towards the dpf being at fault? Thanks
It suggests it’s been replaced before though, yes?

My error code 01137 was different to yours and looks like same OBD reader. When I googled 01137 it all pointed to that sensor. Replaced it and fixed so I think that reader is reliable. Therefore I’m minded to believe exactly what yours says and think MAF sensor faulty and would start with that.

By the way it has a 1/2 in top corner of the OBD does that mean there were 2 error codes?

I‘m no mechanic, I couldn’t even change the oil, but after my post describing changing the DPF sensor there are various people saying ‘oh I’ve changed loads of those sensors over the years’. I assume those are people who know a bit about engines and that has led me to a personal opinion that VW Transporters are built brilliantly and the mechanicals don’t break often, but the sensors do. I tend to believe 150,000 mile plus DPFs may fail, but otherwise I would tend to guess the sensor. Electrics don’t seem as strong as mechanicals. What’s your mileage?

I own a 2008 Cali and a 2008 GTI and so far, over 14 years, it’s always been a sensor or the air con or something made of wires and plastic!

View attachment 87944
That is a mass airflow sensor error and has nothing to do with the DPF.

It suggests it’s been replaced before though, yes?

My error code 01137 was different to yours and looks like same OBD reader. When I googled 01137 it all pointed to that sensor. Replaced it and fixed so I think that reader is reliable. Therefore I’m minded to believe exactly what yours says and think MAF sensor faulty and would start with that.

By the way it has a 1/2 in top corner of the OBD does that mean there were 2 error codes?

I‘m no mechanic, I couldn’t even change the oil, but after my post describing changing the DPF sensor there are various people saying ‘oh I’ve changed loads of those sensors over the years’. I assume those are people who know a bit about engines and that has led me to a personal opinion that VW Transporters are built brilliantly and the mechanicals don’t break often, but the sensors do. I tend to believe 150,000 mile plus DPFs may fail, but otherwise I would tend to guess the sensor. Electrics don’t seem as strong as mechanicals. What’s your mileage?

I own a 2008 Cali and a 2008 GTI and so far, over 14 years, it’s always been a sensor or the air con or something made of wires and plastic!
Thanks again
Mine is a 2008SE 174 4 motion,
the 1/2 was two faults but the second fault read the same as the first.
Ive just gave it a full service and cleaned the maf sensor to see if that changes anything.
im off to braemar for the weekend for some hillwalking, ill pop the reader back on and see if the maf error reappears. after a run arounsd the block it still had no faults showing, so fingers crossed, and for some strange reason my emmissions light is out again. but this has been the case before then reappears after so long.

View attachment 87944
Thought I’d update on my emissions light issue. Whilst doing my service I removed the maf sensor and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner. I cleared the maf sensor code that was flagged up and starting up after all of this the emissions light is off and has stayed off for approximately 700 miles so far. Fingers crossed the light was triggered from the maf.

Back