Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine battery contacts - build up of yellowish deposit

J

johna

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just noticed this on my MY2020 T6.1 Ocean. Wondering what causes this and does it indicate a problem? Should I clean it off? I would appreciate any advice from those with electrical knowledge, please. Many thanks.

IMG_0823.jpeg

IMG_0824.jpeg

That looks very much like White Lithium Grease, commonly used for automotive applications.

edit - if you want to check it should wipe off and feel very slightly greasy

Excellent, thanks very much blondbebier and Perfectos; yes it's greasy.
Then I would assume it is sprayed on White lithium grease, which would be normal in this application And other high temperature applications.

White lithium grease will yellow with time and as it attracts dirt and oxidises, previous applications can be topped up with a quick squirt of new grease.

typically White lithium grease can be found on parts such as vehicle door hinges, bonnet hinges / catches etc, infact anywhere when you want to create a coating to repel moisture and leave a coating in place.
Quite often the grease has a carrier mixed with it such as a penetrating agent (light oil / ptfe etc) to assist its penetrating properties.

As you have found it drys and sets but can be easily wipe off.

I hope that helps ?

Then that may explain why I noticed it as something different, rather than me being completely unobservant in the past. Thanks again, Perfectos, that does help.

Back