Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The fuel pump at the fuel tank - nasty clicking noise

The Blue Van

The Blue Van

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My 2015 T5 has recently developed a habit of making a rapid and quite loud rattling/clicking sound behind the driver's seat on start-up (just before or just after): goes on for a number of seconds then stops though engine start and driving seem unaffected; no EMS warning lights either. I believe this noise may be the fuel pump that sends fuel to the engine: and I assume this is separate from another pump on the cylinder block which AFAIK delivers the fuel at a higher pressure to the injectors themselves. The nearest symptom I have ever had to this - remarkably similar in fact - was in the late 70s with an old Wolseley 1100; where I knew it was the fuel pump (also didn't actually affect the running).

Does anyone have any experience/advice with this one? Does it indicate a faulty pump, or some issue with the fuel line losing pressure when it shouldn't with engine off? There is no sign of a fuel leak under the vehicle, nor the smell you might expect in that instance.

A general search (Google/You Tube) suggests the fuel pump is in this location, but the remedies involve cutting out carpet to access the pump: we have a hard plastic floor with runners, and no hatch. Having seen commentary on costs of changing the HP pump etc. I am rather wary either of plunging in ´but also wary of ignoring the issue.

Thanks in advance

It's definitely the fuel pump priming. It can be quite noticeable if there is no radio on or general noise. My T5 did it for 9 years, the whole time I had it, but it was a panel van we converted so less sound deadening etc.

I guess for you the issue is you have just noticed it/it may have got worse so is it a symptom of a fault? Not necessarily but only you know what your van sounded like before/now.

Back