Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Engine Turbo Issue

EuropeanVanderlust

EuropeanVanderlust

Vehicle
Grand California 600
We just had our 2020 GC600 in for service today- it was an oil change and full check-up, with brake fluid change. Before we went we had the blinking yellow coils aka Diesel Engine warning light. When we took it in today they advised that there is an issue with the turbo in our diesel engine. They couldn't tell us more than that, as the appointment was not sufficient time to diagnose. We have an appointment now scheduled for Oct 2 for the VW dealer to fully diagnose what the issue is. They already advised us that they will need to keep the van for 3-4 days. We can definitely feel the impact on the torque when accelerating, especially up hills or entering a highway.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any posts about turbo issues specific to the GC....so was curious if anyone has experienced anything related to their turbo and what the result was. I know we will be speculating about what is wrong until we have an official diagnoses....but they have advised us that it could cost up to 2500 euros to fix.

Thanks in advance!

Ouch . There isn’t much regarding the issues with crafter vehicle itself on rhe forum that I recall. A few things on the Grand Cali UK FB forum. You may find more on the Crafter forums given much higher numbers in use.

We just had our 2020 GC600 in for service today- it was an oil change and full check-up, with brake fluid change. Before we went we had the blinking yellow coils aka Diesel Engine warning light. When we took it in today they advised that there is an issue with the turbo in our diesel engine. They couldn't tell us more than that, as the appointment was not sufficient time to diagnose. We have an appointment now scheduled for Oct 2 for the VW dealer to fully diagnose what the issue is. They already advised us that they will need to keep the van for 3-4 days. We can definitely feel the impact on the torque when accelerating, especially up hills or entering a highway.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any posts about turbo issues specific to the GC....so was curious if anyone has experienced anything related to their turbo and what the result was. I know we will be speculating about what is wrong until we have an official diagnoses....but they have advised us that it could cost up to 2500 euros to fix.

Thanks in advance!
There have been reports on the crafter forum of issues with the twin turbo engine used in the GC’s, but not a regular occurrence. Worth doing some further research to see what comes up.
Hope nothing too serious/expensive. Best of luck.

Thanks @GordonH and @Mr T I'll look for some Crafter forums to see what I can find....have never been on any so this will be a new experience all around!

And yes, fingers crossed this is nothing too expensive/serious!

There have been reports on the crafter forum of issues with the twin turbo engine used in the GC’s, but not a regular occurrence. Worth doing some further research to see what comes up.
Hope nothing too serious/expensive. Best of luck.

Which one is the Twin Turbo, 180…?

It’s the 177 2.0 twin turbo, fitted to all GC’s.
What is it with Volkswagen twin turbo motors…
Crikey, that’s put a spanner in my plans.

What is it with Volkswagen twin turbo motors…
Crikey, that’s put a spanner in my plans.
I’ve not seen any reports of GC’s with this issue, just know it’s mentioned on the Crafter group. These could be older vans, don’t take what I write on the internet too seriously ;) Do some fact checking.

I’ve not seen any reports of GC’s with this issue, just know it’s mentioned on the Crafter group. These could be older vans, don’t take what I write on the internet too seriously ;) Do some fact checking.

Cheers.
I’m looking at buying a Man/Crafter to convert :thumb

It was finally our appointment day! It's been a crazy 2.5 weeks waiting for it!

The best news to report is that it appears to be rodent damage to a hose- its a 12 euro part! I am sure we will get charged 200 euro for labor! It is also crazy to me that they couldn't diagnose this at our appointment a few weeks ago (oil change, brake fluid change, recall check), so I am very curious as to exactly where the hose is located. But overall thank goodness nothing major, however we did purchase a 1 year warranty (not VW) when we bought our GC and anything related to the engine/turbo would have been covered.

Since the warning lights came on the very last day of our 4 week trip, when we were just 3 hours from home- I count ourselves lucky! The rodent damage was likely caused the last few days when we were in Southwestern Poland. This did delay our next planned trip by a week and a half, but we can live with that!

Van should be ready tomorrow and then we are off!!

Back