Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Epic Journey to collect my new Cali

K

KC83

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hey folks,

This week coming I’m going completely full circle and getting rid of my Golf R estate and taking ownership of a (nearly) new Cali Ocean 6.1 from Eurovans in Crawley.

I’ve a bit of a trek driving down from Stirlingshire to the dealers - from there driving to Exeter for a couple of days work to then head back home! A nice long journey with a couple of days solo to play with it - press all the buttons, and generally figure it all out! Can’t wait - but a little nervous nonetheless!

My questions are simply:

1. can anyone recommend any good shops / retailers in or around the Exeter area or close to the M5 / M6 on the way back up the road (where I could pickup gas bottle / a few camping accessories?)
2. Any recommendations for very close to the motorway overnight campsites / stopping locations around Preston / the Lakes?
3. I’ve got a 2019 150bhp 2.0 Skoda Kodiaq 7 seater as another vehicle - is this the same engine in the main?
4. What are your best (and space minimising) solutions for a decent coffee in the vans (Americano / long coffee style) - the answers to this question will likely determine the future happiness of my life with this california!

Thanks a mill!

Get a small (vivy) Tassimo machine, for use with EHU and or an uprated inverter (boils cups of water using cleaning disc, coffees, hot chocolates, Lattes)

Attwoolls at whitminster as already stated. (M5 between Bristol and Gloucester)

Towsure Halesowen (M5 south of Birmingham)

Caravan and Motorhome Club Site at Kendal LA8 0JZ

Tebay Motorway Services has Campervan stopover although Kendal campsite is better value for money

Last edited:
I love this site for finding places to camp

Facebook marketplace for your first gas bottle, I picked up a full one for £40, 10 miles from where I collected my van a few weeks ago

Woodburn Green to Aberdeenshire, 650 miles

I love this site for finding places to camp

Facebook marketplace for your first gas bottle, I picked up a full one for £40, 10 miles from where I collected my van a few weeks ago

Woodburn Green to Aberdeenshire, 650 miles
Thanks! Will take a look on FB. Good idea.

I’m splitting mine up a bit. doing Crawley to Exeter around 200 miles and then 36hrs later Exeter to Stirlingshire which is around “I would walk” 500 miles.

Hoping to be well acquainted by the time I get home and introduce her to the family! My 7yr old has no idea we’re getting it and I’m planning to rock up to school in it and take her away for a couple of hours for some food and a play about. That’s the part I’m most excited about!

Welcome to the club!

For good filter style black coffee in the van you can’t go wrong with an Aeropress paired with your kettle of choice to boil the water. There’s a Go Outdoors in Exeter, they are usually very competitive for 907 gas bottles although as other have suggested picking up a second hand one from Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree is a good cheaper option. Go Outdoors will also have a pretty comprehensive selection of camping essentials including kettles, hook up cables etc. Once you have the coffee sorted then you can take your time before diving into the rabbit hole of accessorising the van! You have a great opportunity to get to know it on your long trip home and get a feel for what you might want for how you plan to use it. That’s the best way before splashing out on expensive extras that you thought you might use but end up selling on here e.g. drive away awnings is a common big ticket item that often get moved on quickly!

I hope your van brings you as much pleasure as mine does.

Last edited:
Thanks - ideally looking for a solution using gas / boiling water though
For Nespresso coffee pods I use an Outin, rechargeable unit. Using cold water it makes 3 espresso, using hot water it makes around 200.

Coffee: Nespresso and frother.
Power it by a EcoFlow Delta 2, get refurbished on eBay for £699. Has a 170ah Lifepo battery.
Very useful. Also for hair straighteners ;)

Love the fact you’re more excited to share your new experience with the 7 year old.
My 3.5 grandson loved my Cali.
That’s why I need a new one !

And if it’s a new new one.
From EV.
For the life of god, please take pictures of any paintwork rubbing by the incompetent valeters!
I had VW Commercial pay out £7k to relaquer my black 4Motion after EV valter rubbed my paintwork from new with a dirty cloth. Idiot. I was so cross.
Anyway.
Take the check list.
And check everything is onboard.
Mike wool had to pinch some things from other vans to get mine as should be from the factory.
Good luck.

This is what I have:

Wacaco Pipamoka and Wacaco Exagrind, Brazilian coffee beans from Coffee Link and Outwell collapsible kettle (the larger 2.5l one fits well and boils fast part full).

The Pipamoka fits the front cup holder.

I carry two spare Pipamoka baskets so I only grind once and can do easy refills.

I am in the Tyrol currently where the water is mountain fresh and makes wonderful coffee. At home in UK I use either filtered water (reverse osmosis) or bottled water (preferably glass). Standard tap water is a taste killer.

Last edited:
Sounds like you are sorted for somewhere to stay for the Exeter leg of the journey, but Barley Mow Touring Park, which is about 15 miles west of the city centre is highly recommended. Stayed there a few times and it’s spotless and very well maintained.

Sounds like you are sorted for somewhere to stay for the Exeter leg of the journey, but Barley Mow Touring Park, which is about 15 miles west of the city centre is highly recommended. Stayed there a few times and it’s spotless and very well maintained.
Thanks Andy! Yes down there for work - so they are paying for hotel - but I’ll look it up as inevitably we’ll be back down that way at some point soon!

Coffee: Nespresso and frother.
Power it by a EcoFlow Delta 2, get refurbished on eBay for £699. Has a 170ah Lifepo battery.
Very useful. Also for hair straighteners ;)

Love the fact you’re more excited to share your new experience with the 7 year old.
My 3.5 grandson loved my Cali.
That’s why I need a new one !
And if it’s a new new one.
From EV.
For the life of god, please take pictures of any paintwork rubbing by the incompetent valeters!
I had VW Commercial pay out £7k to relaquer my black 4Motion after EV valter rubbed my paintwork from new with a dirty cloth. Idiot. I was so cross.
Anyway.
Take the check list.
And check everything is onboard.
Mike wool had to pinch some things from other vans to get mine as should be from the factory.
Good luck.
Thank you! The coffee and power solution sounds expensive - could end up spending more on that than I do the van!

Good advice re: pick up. It’s not new new, but it is less than a year old. I’ll take your advice on board and check it over with a fine tooth comb!

I’d be interested to know if my van has the troublesome bellows or not (it’s a December 2023 build date) and what to do around that if so.

This is what I have:

Wacaco Pipamoka and Wacaco Exagrind, Brazilian coffee beans from Coffee Link and Outwell collapsible kettle (the larger 2.5l one fits well and boils fast part full).

The Pipamoka fits the front cup holder.

I carry two spare Pipamoka baskets so I only grind once and can do easy refills.

I am in the Tyrol currently where the water is mountain fresh and makes wonderful coffee. At home in UK I use either filtered water (reverse osmosis) or bottled water (preferably glass). Standard tap water is a taste killer.
Oh I like the sound of this - I’ll look it up! My new van is Starlight Blue too - sounds like they’ll go well together

Thank you! The coffee and power solution sounds expensive - could end up spending more on that than I do the van!

Good advice re: pick up. It’s not new new, but it is less than a year old. I’ll take your advice on board and check it over with a fine tooth comb!

I’d be interested to know if my van has the troublesome bellows or not (it’s a December 2023 build date) and what to do around that if so.
If I was you I would spray the canvas with aquatex and enjoy your new van life is to short for beating yourself up over the leaking bellows saga don’t tell the dealer, if it still leaks then contact them for the latest bellows.

Oh I like the sound of this - I’ll look it up! My new van is Starlight Blue too - sounds like they’ll go well together
My set up takes a little time to perfect in use, but because you prefer a longer coffee as I do the Pipamoka is ace. The more you use it the more clever you realise It is. I do also keep in the California a Portuguese porcelain cup and saucer which matches capacity; which is for when I am on a break rather than on the move: when the insulated Pipamoka fits the dash (as I say).

My Starlight Blue would enjoy a meet if chance occurs. Just sipping my coffee from porcelain now, high in the Tyrol, full sun and 22 degrees already - perfection.

Congratulations !
www.brew-company.com
do a great range of coffees in bags. Xmas present - thought ot was a little strange but love them. Just fill up from a kettle and wait a couple of minutes.
Meant to be reusable. Probably considerably more cost effective particularly in short term.
They also take up very little room.
There look to be lots of similar available

Hey folks,

This week coming I’m going completely full circle and getting rid of my Golf R estate and taking ownership of a (nearly) new Cali Ocean 6.1 from Eurovans in Crawley.

I’ve a bit of a trek driving down from Stirlingshire to the dealers - from there driving to Exeter for a couple of days work to then head back home! A nice long journey with a couple of days solo to play with it - press all the buttons, and generally figure it all out! Can’t wait - but a little nervous nonetheless!

My questions are simply:

1. can anyone recommend any good shops / retailers in or around the Exeter area or close to the M5 / M6 on the way back up the road (where I could pickup gas bottle / a few camping accessories?)
2. Any recommendations for very close to the motorway overnight campsites / stopping locations around Preston / the Lakes?
3. I’ve got a 2019 150bhp 2.0 Skoda Kodiaq 7 seater as another vehicle - is this the same engine in the main?
4. What are your best (and space minimising) solutions for a decent coffee in the vans (Americano / long coffee style) - the answers to this question will likely determine the future happiness of my life with this california!

Thanks a mill!
Enjoy your ride. Exciting times. I have to say though for £35 you can fly Glasgow to Gatwick in 90 minutes.