Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Epic Journey to collect my new Cali

Oh I know - but sadly I can’t take a Golf R Estate in my hand luggage
You could drop it off at mine when passing Preston and continue in my old golf estate, very economical. Don't think anyone would notice . :cool:

There are some great postings on the pickup and check lists. Here was mine:

Although the string has lots of other tips.

This is a good recent string if you have not seen it:

Thread 'New van - snagging/To do list'
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/new-van-snagging-to-do-list.55697/

Searching for strings is easier with VIP membership using advanced search with a date range to filter out older posts.

Last edited:
Tried a few coffee ideas and now settle for M&S or Taylors coffee bags when on the road - the other options may be good for when settled but in our case have lost in the trade offs for space

We've stayed here before as an overnight stop - it's lovely, but basic - just a toilet (no shower), but it's close to the M6.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...try=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkwMy4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==

I would strongly recommend against using the water system until you've had chance to put a cleaner through it and rinse several times - not so much for bacteria, but more for anything that might be in there from manufacture.

Take a tyre pump with you and check the tyres before leaving - they should be fine, but if you're embarking on the motorway for a long journey, you want to make sure it's all OK!

In theory, engines when being broken in don't like being held at constant revs for a long time, so if you happen across a deserted section of motorway (e.g. M6 north of the Lakes/A74M/M74), try to avoid sitting at a set speed with the cruise control on.

I recognise the desire to try everything out, but in reality loads of accessories are "plastic wrapped" and you'll have to unravel everything (don't skimp on checking everything is there at the dealership though). If you're determined to sleep in it straight away, I would suggest arriving at your first night stop with plenty of time to get everything in order. Remember if you're picking up a bare van you're going to have to get (or bring) quite a few accessories, as a minimum bedding but also things like cups/kettle/bowls/pans depending on how much you're planning to eat/drink in the van.

Coffee; I bought an Aeropress recently for the very purpose of making coffee in the van, but I've actually found I still default back to a stainless double-walled cafetiere - it's just simpler.

Final word of advice (and you'll see this echoed on here time and time again) - accessorising is addictive, but it's very easy to read/watch opinions and think "I need that", but in reality you may find you actually don't. Better to start with the bare essentials and see how you go. At the end of the day, they're not huge vehicles with infinite storage space and that storage space becomes even more compromised when you're trying to fish things in and out of cupboards (quite different to travelling somewhere in a car where it's just a case of Tetris getting as much in as possible - in the van, things have to be retrievable).

Watch out for the M25! I'm used to smart motorways (sic) oop north, but the M25 seems to be in another league with unpredictable speed limits - I very nearly got caught out by gantries that seemed to change speed limit every few hundred yards.

Enjoy the experience!

Watch out for the M25! I'm used to smart motorways (sic) oop north, but the M25 seems to be in another league with unpredictable speed limits - I very nearly got caught out by gantries that seemed to change speed limit every few hundred yards.
The M6 north of Brum is the same! J8 (M5 exit) to past Hilton Park services arer the worst for gantry speeds changing from 40-50-60 in a matter of seconds, yet all the cameras are live and do work. It must be a money box for the local council.

We've stayed here before as an overnight stop - it's lovely, but basic - just a toilet (no shower), but it's close to the M6.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Crossfells+Campsite/@54.6376455,-2.7130363,398m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m9!3m8!1s0x487cfbc4e71c1d29:0x6c60b73ec0937f8f!5m2!4m1!1i2!8m2!3d54.6380168!4d-2.7099874!16s/g/1jkwkrjj1!5m1!1e4?entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkwMy4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==

I would strongly recommend against using the water system until you've had chance to put a cleaner through it and rinse several times - not so much for bacteria, but more for anything that might be in there from manufacture.

Take a tyre pump with you and check the tyres before leaving - they should be fine, but if you're embarking on the motorway for a long journey, you want to make sure it's all OK!

In theory, engines when being broken in don't like being held at constant revs for a long time, so if you happen across a deserted section of motorway (e.g. M6 north of the Lakes/A74M/M74), try to avoid sitting at a set speed with the cruise control on.

I recognise the desire to try everything out, but in reality loads of accessories are "plastic wrapped" and you'll have to unravel everything (don't skimp on checking everything is there at the dealership though). If you're determined to sleep in it straight away, I would suggest arriving at your first night stop with plenty of time to get everything in order. Remember if you're picking up a bare van you're going to have to get (or bring) quite a few accessories, as a minimum bedding but also things like cups/kettle/bowls/pans depending on how much you're planning to eat/drink in the van.

Coffee; I bought an Aeropress recently for the very purpose of making coffee in the van, but I've actually found I still default back to a stainless double-walled cafetiere - it's just simpler.

Final word of advice (and you'll see this echoed on here time and time again) - accessorising is addictive, but it's very easy to read/watch opinions and think "I need that", but in reality you may find you actually don't. Better to start with the bare essentials and see how you go. At the end of the day, they're not huge vehicles with infinite storage space and that storage space becomes even more compromised when you're trying to fish things in and out of cupboards (quite different to travelling somewhere in a car where it's just a case of Tetris getting as much in as possible - in the van, things have to be retrievable).

Enjoy the experience!
This is brilliant advice - thank you so much! I’m deliberately not buying anything other than the bare essentials till we’ve had our first couple of goes in it and then just buy as we need.
The M6 north of Brum is the same! J8 (M5 exit) to past Hilton Park services arer the worst for gantry speeds changing from 40-50-60 in a matter of seconds, yet all the cameras are live and do work. It must be a money box for the local council.
Oh I remember this stretch well from my travels. It’s bloody awful one of the best things about living in Scotland is the distinct lack of “smart” motorways.

1. can anyone recommend any good shops / retailers in or around the Exeter area or close to the M5 / M6 on the way back up the road (where I could pickup gas bottle /
There's a Russell gas in Stirling, they stock 907s or the better looking leisure gas (yellow) cylinders. You could take one with you suitably packed with the safety plug in.

The yellow cylinders are cheaper, zinc coated so shouldn't rust, but not exchangeable in Europe if that matters to you.

As mentioned, a mokka pot and kettle is all you need for great coffeee. As a coffee fiend, this is a great solution with no need for recharging or upgrading inverters etc.

Enjoy the new van, looking forward to seeing it. My kids were very excited when we picked ours up this year - slept in it the first night on the driveway, when I saw it covered it frost I thought I’d killed them! Toasty and comfortable inside.

Got it! Picked her up this morning and brought her on a 200m trip to Exeter whilst I have a couple of days meetings with clients.

She was a joy to drive and I’m very pleased with it. Coming from a Mk 7.5 VW Golf R the interior dash is very familiar - although I must say I am very surprised to learn that they don’t have an auto hold feature - that’ll take some getting used to!

Here she is - no name yet and not had anywhere near enough time to familiarise myself / have a play with everything - but there’s plenty of time for that! IMG_3159.jpeg

Very nice. Are you wild camping in the hotel car park - Sandy Gate maybe.??

There's a Russell gas in Stirling, they stock 907s or the better looking leisure gas (yellow) cylinders. You could take one with you suitably packed with the safety plug in.

The yellow cylinders are cheaper, zinc coated so shouldn't rust, but not exchangeable in Europe if that matters to you.
£55.00 new full bottle. No exchange. Bought mine from here.
Junction 10 M6, 10 mins from the junction. Used them for years for my 19kg bottles. So friendly and helpful.

Van looks great.
I flew from Aberdeen to Crawley to pickup our Grand California last year. Parked in a pub carpark near Penrith for night on way home. Took sleeping bag and jetboil in hand luggage and bought gas for jetboil at a halfords in Crawley.

You will miss the Golf R !
I sold a 3 door DSG 7.5 R myself to help fund buying the van. I miss early morning drives on way to ski or mountain bike, driving over the A939 near lecht and Strathdon when very quiet , the car could really shift !

Van looks great.
I flew from Aberdeen to Crawley to pickup our Grand California last year. Parked in a pub carpark near Penrith for night on way home. Took sleeping bag and jetboil in hand luggage and bought gas for jetboil at a halfords in Crawley.

You will miss the Golf R !
I sold a 3 door DSG 7.5 R myself to help fund buying the van. I miss early morning drives on way to ski or mountain bike, driving over the A939 near lecht and Strathdon when very quiet , the car could really shift !
Oh what a road that is - many a fond memory! Nothing quite like an early morning blast when no one is around

£55.00 new full bottle. No exchange. Bought mine from here.
Junction 10 M6, 10 mins from the junction. Used them for years for my 19kg bottles. So friendly and helpful.
This place rocks.
I get my BBQ gas from here too.
Great place.
Some real camping bargains to be had too