Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Erratic electric window

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
OK this is about my T5.1 panel van not a cali but hopefully someone will have an answer for me!
The driver's electric window has gone haywire - it's 50-50 whether it will work at any given time. Sometimes it works perfectly normally but it's just as likely that it either won't work at all (sometimes accompanied by a rapid clicking noise), or even works in reverse when the window is open - if I try to close it by pulling the switch up nothing happens but if I push it down the window closes!
When I took it into my local mechanic it was working perfectly as always seems to happen so he's done nothing other than clean the contacts on the switch.
I'll be selling the van next month so want to get it sorted before I do, so was wondering if anyway has had this problem and what cured it? I'm guessing either switch or a control unit if there is one because of the randomness and reverse operation?

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Check the wires in the rubber gator to the door. Prone to damage.

Cheers WG will have a look

Reset the electric window ECU. Put the key in the driver's side door lock and turn it anticlockwise, hold it in this position for 5 seconds.

I have had the same in my and my partners car, and it was, as WG said, the wires as they pass into the door.
There is nothing to see
But when it is not working, try holding the far sides of the wire and push together
It may be a fatigue break in the wire, and this pushes the ends back together, and it works again, like majic.....until the next time!

Reset the electric window ECU. Put the key in the driver's side door lock and turn it anticlockwise, hold it in this position for 5 seconds.
I'll give that a try in a minute, cheers fred.:thumb

I have had the same in my and my partners car, and it was, as WG said, the wires as they pass into the door.
There is nothing to see
But when it is not working, try holding the far sides of the wire and push together
It may be a fatigue break in the wire, and this pushes the ends back together, and it works again, like majic.....until the next time!
When it's not working i've tried waggling the wires on various occasions but it's never made any difference. Doesn't mean it's not the wires of course!
I've discovered that even when it's not working that holding down the lock or unlock button on the remote still works and I can open or close the window this way. And afterwards the switch then works again for a while.
It's now been working fully for two days which is a bit of a record, will see if the window reset that fred suggested works before taking it back to the garage.

We had a problem with our vw eos windows, sometimes they worked fine and other times they had a fit and started jigging up and down , turned out it was a faulty ignition switch and had the back of the switch replaced and it was fine

Well it's been working fine since I posted so I'm waiting for it to start playing up again so I can see if it works or not.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

OK it's playing up again. Have tried the key in the door trick but hasn't made any difference. I've booked it in next week to get it sorted before I sell it.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Back