Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential toolkit

Was just mentioning remote batteries as neighbour was stranded by key fob not working on his Audi. Had a spare battery indoors which got him going thus thought to always have a spare with me.
Although now I think about it, having a spare battery in a locked van with a flat battery in my key.........might need to rethink this one!
Put the key fob against the side of your head and use your skull to amplify the signal.

My keys are quite old. Never had to change a battery though.
I´m sure that i was told that they get charged up whilst in the ignition.
The one that wasn´t being used for some time seemed to go flat but after
using it to drive with a few times, it was fine.

My keys are quite old. Never had to change a battery though.
I´m sure that i was told that they get charged up whilst in the ignition.
The one that wasn´t being used for some time seemed to go flat but after
using it to drive with a few times, it was fine.
Unless your key batteries are different the modern ones are not rechargeable and there is no recharging circuit around the ignition lock.

Not really a toolkit part but get a spare safe so that you will be able to use the tools you have if you need to use the spare.
Also, I would strongly recommend practising getting the spare wheel in and out before you need to. Grease the bolts holding the tray as well so that they come off easily. It can be a bit of a sod to get out especially if you have a towbar fitted. You might find you have to jack it up a bit to get enough clearance.

If it doesn't move and it should... WD40.
If it does move and it shouldn't... gaffer tape.

Seriously though, not a tool but take all the wheels off before you head off. If they haven't been off for a while you can almost guarantee they'll be seized to the hubs and even all the usual tricks (like rocking the van) won't free them. (I use a smear of copper grease on the mating surfaces - never on the stud threads though).

Also ensure the spare wheel carrier bolt isn't fully rusted in place.

You'll of course be taking a spare bulbs kit (legal requirement in some parts of Europe I think) and make sure you have spare fuses also.

Don't forget all the user manuals, either on paper or electronic form. And the logins for this forum, so if you get stuck with something en route you can always yell!
I wasn’t aware there are electronic user manuals, where can I access them please?

I would recommend having a dry run of lowering the roof using the "emergency procedure". As this involves removal of the control panel and the cutting away of insulation foam it not something I'd want to do for the first time on a dark wet and windy night!
I would be wary of letting a breakdown mechanic have a go unless they knew what they were doing.

I would recommend having a dry run of lowering the roof using the "emergency procedure". As this involves removal of the control panel and the cutting away of insulation foam it not something I'd want to do for the first time on a dark wet and windy night!
I would be wary of letting a breakdown mechanic have a go unless they knew what they were doing.

If anyone has had to do this or had it done it might be useful if they could show others. Perhaps at one of the meets. I’m quite keen on knowing exactly where to cut away the foam but reluctant to have a trial run.

Mike

Does anybody recommend any particular brand or size of breaker bar? Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tooolkit.jpg
In addition to all the above, this is my essential toolkit:
  • Swiss army tool (pliers, screwdrivers, saws & much more)
  • WD-40 (100ml can)
  • Cutters
  • Leatherman mini tool (scissors, sharp knife, tweezers)
  • Fastening nut for Sparesafe
  • Credit-card size LED light
  • Valve caps
  • Voltmeter
  • Allen key (for re-tightening the Cali chairs)
  • Tyre depth gauge
  • Tyre pressure gauge (25 years old, still accurate)
  • Superglue
  • Cable ties
Everything fits neatly (be it tightly) in a pencil case which lives in a door pocket. Not pictured but elsewhere in the van: a roll of duct tape.

Last edited:
View attachment 32789
In addition to all the above, this is my essential toolkit:
  • Swiss army tool (pliers, screwdrivers, saws & much more)
  • WD-40 (100ml can)
  • Cutters
  • Leatherman mini tool (scissors, sharp knife, tweezers)
  • Fastening nut for Sparesafe
  • Credit-card size LED light
  • Valve caps
  • Voltmeter
  • Allen key (for re-tightening the Cali chairs)
  • Tyre depth gauge
  • Tyre pressure gauge (25 years old, still accurate)
  • Superglue
  • Cable ties
Everything fits neatly (be it tightly) in a pencil case which lives in a door pocket. Not pictured but elsewhere in the van: a roll of duct tape.
Thanks Romke.
It's surprising how many of these things I already have which means a cheap trip to Halfords!

Does anybody recommend any particular brand or size of breaker bar? Regards

Hi Billy,
I've not bought one yet but when I went to Halfords they suggested a minimum of 1/2" drive. This is because a smaller drive 'may' shear if too much force is applied when trying to remove a very tight wheel nut.

Hi Billy,
I've not bought one yet but when I went to Halfords they suggested a minimum of 1/2" drive. This is because a smaller drive 'may' shear if too much force is applied when trying to remove a very tight wheel nut.

Many thanks.

Back