Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential toolkit

Steve.S

Steve.S

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I've had my Ocean 180 4 Motion SE (63 plate) since early December 2017 and have been enjoying it with trips up to Scotland and Wales so far. For summer we are off to Spain & France and, apart from the kit that comes with the Cali, what do the more experienced owners suggest as an essential tool/spares kit?

Breaker bar for wheel nuts the one supplied is garbage. Socket set, screwdrivers of various shapes and sizes, duct tape, cable ties, pliers and adjustable spanner and a small can of WD40. If I can’t sort myself out with that lot then I call the breakdown services.

If it doesn't move and it should... WD40.
If it does move and it shouldn't... gaffer tape.

Seriously though, not a tool but take all the wheels off before you head off. If they haven't been off for a while you can almost guarantee they'll be seized to the hubs and even all the usual tricks (like rocking the van) won't free them. (I use a smear of copper grease on the mating surfaces - never on the stud threads though).

Also ensure the spare wheel carrier bolt isn't fully rusted in place.

You'll of course be taking a spare bulbs kit (legal requirement in some parts of Europe I think) and make sure you have spare fuses also.

Don't forget all the user manuals, either on paper or electronic form. And the logins for this forum, so if you get stuck with something en route you can always yell!

1. Breaker bar and appropriate socket for undoing wheel nuts.
2. A wheel fitting alignment tool. Why don't they provide one?
3. Head torch.
4. Bottle opener.

This list depends on the tools you can and want to use....;)
Some call the assistance for a blown fuse ....so much depends on the driver itself.
I just carry some basic stuff screwdrivers, pliers , torx , X - wheel wrench , tie wraps , ductape , headlight , gloves , ....
Not essential to work on the Cali but to fix random stuff while camping also.

Not essential to work on the Cali but to fix random stuff while camping also.

Yes the most likely thing to break is going to be your awning or a cupboard fixing or the BBQ. So I just have a multi-tool for that kind of stuff. If anything significant broke on the van I'd be straight on the phone to the breakdown assistance.

Wheel-changing gear is the main thing, covered by various good advice above.

Thanks everyone, you've been really helpful. Spare wheel already sorted, bulbs, fuses & breaker bar on my shopping list, manuals came with the vehicle. Sockets already covered but most importantly I've doubled up on corkscrews and bottle openers.

Yes the most likely thing to break is going to be your awning or a cupboard fixing or the BBQ. So I just have a multi-tool for that kind of stuff. If anything significant broke on the van I'd be straight on the phone to the breakdown assistance.

Wheel-changing gear is the main thing, covered by various good advice above.
Not had much go wrong with my Cali that has required tools but I have helped other people with a variety of things, fixed bikes and a bike trailer, rewired my electric hook up lead when it got damaged and a few other minor things. Tools are handy and I wouldn’t leave home without them.

duracell 2024 button battery plus having read the manual to know how to open key fob and renew same

I take about the same that Bigmac takes.
+ high viz vests, triangle, etc,etc.

Jump leads or one of those small lithium batteries in case you manage to flatten your starter battery. Much easier to do compared to a car when camping I found out...

duracell 2024 button battery plus having read the manual to know how to open key fob and renew same

Do the remote batteries need changing very often? I have never changed the batteries in any of my car remotes even for the passat that i had for over 11 years and only used one remote. My current passat is coming up to 9 years old, and again, using the same remote. The cali came with four remotes. Perhaps I should rotate every few years :)

Do the remote batteries need changing very often? I have never changed the batteries in any of my car remotes even for the passat that i had for over 11 years and only used one remote. My current passat is coming up to 9 years old, and again, using the same remote. The cali came with four remotes. Perhaps I should rotate every few years :)
I only have 2 remotes so swapped them around every year.
I don’t know how long the battery lasts, time and usage will vary, so I changed the batteries at 3 years. Easily done, as was the Heater Remote.
VW often charge a lot for this but easily done yourself.

Small multimeter, duct tape, tear aid for roof canvas.(hopefully not needed but there if you do). We also carry a 300mm square piece of 12mm ply to rest the jack on in case of soft ground.

Phone numbers for breakdown and repair services :shocked

Anything else is totally useless to me!

Hi Steve, all good stuff above. A question to you though. Are you the kind of person who would change their own wheels in light of a puncture? Do you have alloy wheels? If you answer yes to both these questions you should also consider a torque wrench. A digital one will take up least space and is easy to transport. (Steel wheels are less sensitive to correct torque settings).

1. Breaker bar and appropriate socket for undoing wheel nuts.
2. A wheel fitting alignment tool. Why don't they provide one?
3. Head torch.
4. Bottle opener.
And a candelabra?;)

Hi Steve, all good stuff above. A question to you though. Are you the kind of person who would change their own wheels in light of a puncture? Do you have alloy wheels? If you answer yes to both these questions you should also consider a torque wrench. A digital one will take up least space and is easy to transport. (Steel wheels are less sensitive to correct torque settings).
Yes, I would change the wheel, or at least try before calling for assistance. All the wheels are alloy as is the spare so a torque wrench it is then.

I just stand on the California Wheel Wrench, BUT, I got my local tyre fitter to then check the torque settings and they were spot on. Checked it on 3 Wheels. So as long as my weight stays the same I’m OK.

Was just mentioning remote batteries as neighbour was stranded by key fob not working on his Audi. Had a spare battery indoors which got him going thus thought to always have a spare with me.
Although now I think about it, having a spare battery in a locked van with a flat battery in my key.........might need to rethink this one!

Was just mentioning remote batteries as neighbour was stranded by key fob not working on his Audi. Had a spare battery indoors which got him going thus thought to always have a spare with me.
Although now I think about it, having a spare battery in a locked van with a flat battery in my key.........might need to rethink this one!
The batteries rarely fail totally. Normally you find the range gradually decreases before they totally stop working.

Back