Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EU-UK Grand California conversion

P

pabloalvinGC600

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi all,

I will be moving from Spain to UK in the coming months and I need to be prepared to get the GC registered in the UK. From what I know, I will have to adapt the speedometer and beams. I have a couple of questions, hoping someone has done it before.

Speedometer: the Crafter has this small LCD screen where you can display speed in KPH and MPH, do you know if this would be enough to pass the MOT?
Beams: I guess I would need to replace the entire headlight sets, or is there a way to adapt them? I don't have the LED version, just standard.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
Pablo

Hi all,

I will be moving from Spain to UK in the coming months and I need to be prepared to get the GC registered in the UK. From what I know, I will have to adapt the speedometer and beams. I have a couple of questions, hoping someone has done it before.

Speedometer: the Crafter has this small LCD screen where you can display speed in KPH and MPH, do you know if this would be enough to pass the MOT?
Beams: I guess I would need to replace the entire headlight sets, or is there a way to adapt them? I don't have the LED version, just standard.

Thanks!
Pablo
Rear foglight unless you have 2 working fog lights.
I don't think the LCD screen will be sufficient.

Never done it outside the EU but I assume you will need similar documentation. Certificate of Conformity is probably essential.

Might be a good opportunity to upgrade to the LED headlights. Although listening to a news report this morning the nanny state might be making an intervention.

Odd but has never been a problem for me and I have yet to be flashed by oncoming drivers.

Never done it outside the EU but I assume you will need similar documentation. Certificate of Conformity is probably essential.

Might be a good opportunity to upgrade to the LED headlights. Although listening to a news report this morning the nanny state might be making an intervention.

Odd but has never been a problem for me and I have yet to be flashed by oncoming drivers.
I had this one in mind, fitting the factory ones are way too expensive and complex as you need extra wiring and sensors, programming etc... With these I could do it myself, it would be just replacing one by the other:

I don't see how you can state " the nanny state might be making an intervention " . The Government is the licencing authority for these vehicles/ headlights and have been asked by a National Motoring Organization to investigate claims of its members which it has substantiated from its own research. The fact that you find no problem is immaterial. You may not have been flashed because the other driver was too busy trying to see through the glare produced by your headlights .

As you think the headlight units will need replacing for standard Halogen units. LED conversion wouldn't be viable as self levelling and washers also needed.

Example prices

Alternative upgrade source

Ref rear fog lights you need one on the right, you will have one on the left but if you have both sides currently no problem.

If not already familiar Gov.uk info relating to importing

Ref Speedometer you may find the required model on Ebay Headlights possibly to suit also on here

Last edited:
As you think the headlight units will need replacing for standard Halogen units. LED conversion wouldn't be viable as self levelling and washers also needed.

Example prices

Alternative upgrade source

Ref rear fog lights you need one on the right, you will have one on the left but if you have both sides currently no problem.

If not already familiar Gov.uk info relating to importing

Ref Speedometer you may find the required model on Ebay Headlights possibly to suit also on here

Thanks B J G, this is so helpful!

Regarding the LED headlights, these are for any Crafter, excluding vans with Factory Fitted LED lights, and they won't need any sensor as they are meant to replace the halogen VW headlights.

These are the details from the HQ store
  • Any VW Crafter (2nd Generation) and MAN TGE – EXCLUDING VANS WITH FACTORY FITTED LED HEADLIGHTS
  • From late 2017 to current
  • PLUG AND PLAY
  • No Coding required, simply fit them and go!
  • No Error Codes, No Dash Warning Lights!
Thanks,
Pablo

Regarding the LED headlights, these are for any Crafter, excluding vans with Factory Fitted LED lights, and they won't need any sensor as they are meant to replace the halogen VW headlights.

• Any VW Crafter (2nd Generation) and MAN TGE – EXCLUDING VANS WITH FACTORY FITTED LED HEADLIGHTS
  • PLUG AND PLAY
Thanks,
Pablo
Ref bulb options on those, Halogen Osram H7 +200% are a good option. Their LED bulb option isn't road legal and if you have bulb failure warning that needs turning off.

• PLUG AND PLAY
Thanks,
Pablo
If in doubt, give Transporter HQ a call, they are really helpful and know their stuff!

Hi all,

Thanks!
Pablo
Have you read the form that you need to fill in? it tells you what you need.

Attachments

• import motorhome.pdf
    271.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi all,

Thanks!
Pablo
All vehicles registered in the UK since 1977 have been required to have a speedometer capable of displaying speeds in kilometres per hour (km/h) as well as miles per hour (mph).

Seems unfair to refer, disparagingly, to the "nanny state", when it is a private for-profit business raising the issue .........

Back