Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EU Import Conversion to UK VCA/DVLA standards

A

Alpy Days!

Vehicle
T6 Coast 102
Hi everyone
I know there have been threads about various components of our question so apologies in advance.
We are importing our Cali T6 Coast from France and in order to meet VCA/DVLA requirements in UK we need to change the speedometer from KMPH to MPH, adapt the direction of the front headlights and the location of the fog light.
For some reason, VW are being monumentally unhelpful with this so our question is whether anyone knows of any reputable organisation who can make these conversions for us all in one go so that we can get on with registering our Cali without further delay.
Many thanks for any advice and recommendations!
Julia

I imported 2 Hymers and did both myself relatively easily. I did the headlights with stick-on eurolites beam benders for LHD vehicles visiting the UK and the rear lights by 2 running wires for the swapped reversing and fog lights across the vehicle. Luckily the lenses could be rotated and swapped but you can’t do that on a cali so will need new units but there’s plenty of aftermarket and used on eBay. Otherwise mount a fog light under the bumper if you don’t mind the cr@p look. You don’t need an mph speedo but have the MFD. Then get it MOT’d on the vin number and apply for registration.

Last edited:
VWUK are the imporing company. Don't think they would help but others on this and the T6 forum might. Good luck.

I purchased my T6 Ocean from VW in Wolfsburg, they built the vehcile as a RHD but didn't build it with the MPH speedo, headlights or fog light. I drove it into the UK and as mentioned by the OP we had to change these to conform to UK regs. The vehicle went into SMG in Croydon who changed all the itmes without a problem or delay. I guess it depends on the dealer in the UK but it was sorted (in one visit)

You have a month to get the importing done so no panic.

Headlights are available from Motor Factors. Not sure if you have twin H7's or single H4's. If H4's I'd get the twin H7's fitted during the conversion.

T6's have LED rear lights and my UK one has rear fog lights on both sides, from that you may merely need a bulb fitting in the right hand side, only the side lights are LED not the fogs. The Canbus may need updating for the extra bulb.

Speedo has dual markings and if the digital display is set to MPH I think that would be OK.
I didn't replace the speedo on a LHD Fiat that I imported but that was years ago.

Best bet would be to get back to, UK, go to an MOT test garage and explain what you require and let them quote on the work/parts required.

Headlights are a big job on the T6, bumper off etc.

Example Headlight supplier
https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/van-wezel/9955238

Last edited:
I purchased my T6 Ocean from VW in Wolfsburg
Presumably this allows you to have a van with German options, e.g. 4wd on a Beach, if that's a valid option in Germany.

I'm assuming you paid in Euros. Which for the last couple of days would have been v v v expensive. Given the rise in the pound today it would only be v v expensive.

If the van you’re importing has LED headlamps specced then ‘Travel Mode’ on the Multi Function Display (MFD) adjusts these for driving on the left.
(Stick on beam deflectors are NOT acceptable)
I believe some of the non led spec lamps may also have ‘travel mode’ too but perhaps not the standard ones.

LED lighting spec also gives a working rear fog lamp on BOTH sides of the vehicle meaning it is already UK compliant.

If it’s not LED spec then I think new front headlamps may be required together with some auto electrician work to wire the ‘other’ side for a rear fog lamp. (VW dealership told me new rear lamp cluster needed but that sounds excessive to me)

The Analogue Speedo probably won’t have dual KMPH/MPH markings on it (mine didn’t), however, you can program the MFD to PERMANENTLY display MPH digitally, using a Carista Dongle (£15 on Amazon), to make it compliant.

Hope this helps.
S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back