Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

MOT approval of LHD Cali T5 2008 mod

orusten

orusten

2007 NoLimit
VIP Member
Vehicle
Please Select
I have a Norwegian LHD Cali for which I need to get UK licence plates for a short period (due to parking regulations in Central London).

The headlights are Xenon, so how to get them ready for MOT approval?

Apparently I also need a dual marked speedometer. Can I get a mph-sticker from a VW dealer?

Thanks for advice.

orusten said:
I have a Norwegian LHD Cali for which I need to get UK licence plates for a short period (due to parking regulations in Central London).

The headlights are Xenon, so how to get them ready for MOT approval?

Apparently I also need a dual marked speedometer. Can I get a mph-sticker from a VW dealer?

Thanks for advice.
Mine is left hand drive with KPH speedo, passed MOT ok :thumb
Ron.

I might be wrong (wont be the first time) but I think you will need to replace the headlights for uk spec ones.

Ian

igmac said:
I might be wrong (wont be the first time) but I think you will need to replace the headlights for uk spec ones.

Ian

I had to on my 71 westy .. They will not except lamp converters

Are you sure ? The regs state:
Speedometers

35. (1) Save as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3), every motor vehicle shall be fitted with a speedometer which, if the vehicle is first used on or after 1st April 1984, shall be capable of indicating speed in both miles per hour and kilometres per hour, either simultaneously or, by the operation of a switch, separately.

So if you have an MFD you can recode the dash to have the van in the UK and show the Alt Speed. in MPH which _should_ meet these requirements. I haven't checked but that's my plan if i have to bring my '13 Cali back.

Apparently, what I need for temporary UK registration is called "Q-plates". Possible to get these without a MoT approval?

orusten said:
Apparently, what I need for temporary UK registration is called "Q-plates". Possible to get these without a MoT approval?

It's very straightforward to register a LHD car in the UK - I did with my American Vanagon

James

orusten said:

I thought 'Q plates' were for vehicles of indeterminate age, i.e. bastardised from a number of parts. If you have the original Norwegian registration you should get an age related plate.

MoT is for vehicles three years or older.

Not an expert on importing so happy to stand corrected

Andy

Goldie said:
orusten said:

I thought 'Q plates' were for vehicles of indeterminate age, i.e. bastardised from a number of parts. If you have the original Norwegian registration you should get an age related plate.

MoT is for vehicles three years or older.

Not an expert on importing so happy to stand corrected

Andy

Yep you are quite rite, from www.gov.uk

DVLA issues ‘Q’ registration numbers to vehicles whose age or identity is in doubt.

If this happens, any original vehicle registration number will become invalid and you mustn’t display it again.

Hi Orusten,

Did you manage to do it? I am buying one LHD in Germany and should bring it into UK in one week. I am starting to be slightly concern about the speedometer in km/h only and the lights. Did you manage to get all done? any advice would be very welcome.

thanks,
Dominique

We have a Mazda 121 imported from Hong Kong in 1995 that was used for 15 years with only a kph Speedo. The only thing I needed to do was fit a rear fog lamp. Maybe they didn't notice, but it went through15 mot tests in that time!

We just knew 30mph was 48kph, 40mph was 64kph, 50mph was 80kph and 70mph was 112kph. Divide by 5 then multiply by 8.

Here in NZ I was told that kph Speedo is not necessary, although my UK spec Cali has digital kph indicator. If you get caught speeding, it's your fault no excuses whatever units your Speedo is in.

Andy

Back