Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry or Eurotunnel; what is the position re gas bottle

R

Racingt

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all,
I'm taking the Cali to France in July, maybe also Germany in September. Normally I take Eurotunnel, and tick the box that says I am not carrying any gas.
However, the Cali will be carrying gas, does this cause a problem when booking?
Also is the height ok on Eurotunnel?
Hoping to get positve answers, really prefer to avoid ferries..
Thanks !!

Hight is fine - you will be in with the coaches, no need to declare gas as when you do the booking you have to book as a motorhome/camper not a car & pay the associated higher fare ( about £18 extra each way)

We're booked on Eurotunnel this Summer. Booked at Motorhome carrying gas. Height is fine - vehicles over 1.85m go in separate carriages as previous poster advises
Lot's of previous discussions on here regarding whether you book as a car or not, as they charge a bit more for Motorhomes, but it is not a huge amount and I prefer to avoid any issues on arrival

Don't forget you need to be prepared to open the tailgate and show them that the gas is turned off, it seems a bit hit and miss whether they physically want to check or not but best be prepared especially if you are carrying bikes.

I didn't get any choice as to whether to book as a car or not - when you put in registration details they get to see what you are driving & VW California & that flags up on their system that it is a camper. Not sure if they can tell the difference between a SE & Beach.
The main difference actually on the train is that the only toilets in the overheight section are at either end of the train there are none in individual carriages. If all the passengers have got off & are standing along side coaches it can be a struggle to get past & can be quite a distance.

Ok, that all sounds very easy, they have had several fires in the tunnel now, and I guess they have a higher level of protection in the camper section. I'll carry on taking Eurotunnel, it is so much easier.
They are brilliant for motorcycles too, costs £15 each way. But I can't sleep on it. Or at least haven't done so far...

I always use Eurotunnel.

I disconnect my gas bottle, easier to show them that it really is turned off.

As Oli, BMVS, suggested in another thread, take a photograph of the disconnected bottle before you load the bikes on the bike rack, if any, to show the Eurotunnel staff.

I carry bikes so I turn my hob on and so no gas is coming out. They have always accepted that.

+1

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Either they have changed policy or we had a jobsworth last month! He refused to accept that by turning on the burners that the gas was off, he said he wanted to see the gas bottle in situ. We did manage to lift the tailgates with the three bikes on but I would not advise this.

Be prepared !

When presented with that scenario I say 'ok, one moment' then I get my collapsible stool and go round to the bike rack and start taking the bikes off. Being vertically challenged I need the stool so that I can easily reach the straps. At that they realise that I'm going to be clogging up their lane and usually say go.
I make a point of what is involved to show him but never mention what it is that I have to do. I don't complain.
When questioned I say that there is 30kg of bikes and bike rack which can damage my £50k vehicle and his Health and Safety would not be too happy about me having to hold up that weight while he examines my bottle and so the bikes have to come off. I've never shown a bottle yet.

Well they did have a recent fire in the Tunnel. So I can understand them following rules to the letter.

We've had 8 trips now using Eurotunnel, I've always been asked if we have gas on board, and always say yes and to date have never been asked to show them to prove it is off.

It could be 4 bikes on the back, the mountains of kit in the boot or the 3 noisy boys in the back. But so far we have been very lucky.

Take a video on your phone of the gas being switched off - maybe with something to prove the date/time

I agree they have to take safety seriously and if you are carrying bikes you have to accept you may need to remove them to show that the gas is off. All I'm saying is if you have shown them the gas is not coming through and you display a willingness to remove bikes so that they can see the gas is off they usually accept the gas is off and send you on your way.
At 69 years of age, in need of artificial knees, shoulder and elbow joints aching you really don't want me holding up a heavy tailgate while you look and I'm not prepared to potentially damage the Cali.

Back