Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exhaust silencer repair

MarmiteBoy321

MarmiteBoy321

2014 T5.1 Cali Ocean SE 180 DSG
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, I wanted to do a (short term) fix on a split outer casing on my rear exhaust silencer (2014 T5 Cali Ocean). The outer layer had rusted and split open at one point - it's all been quite rusty for a while but passed MoT OK in July, and no actual holes (yet!). So, I bought a pack of Holts wide metal exhaust banding for £7. Don't need Gun Gum for this particular job, as no holes need to be sealed. Then I ordered 3 metres length hose clamp kit https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CB7HVL7D?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title (many others available) and wrapped a length of the metal band around the silencer to secure the aluminium exhaust band over the split. See photos. Tighten up using the hose clip kit (easy to use) and Bob's the proverbial. OK, it's a bit of a bodge (but looks quite neat I thought!), but should last until well into next year before I think about replacing the whole system . Oh, and I used the Cali scissor jack to raise the vehicle plus axle stand and blocks of wood to help keep it safe when raised.
20241004_121436.jpg 20241004_124503.jpg20241004_124527.jpg

Mine's in far worse shape than yours already.
I just peeled off the loose bits of outer layer, leaving the top where it hangs for dear life as it is.
The middle damper (the very big one) started developing the same outer layer coming loose.
Just had a remark to keep an eye on the exhaust on my last 2 MOT reports.
As long as there are no holes in it, I will leave it like that.
I might change them together with a DPF that actually does it's job instead of the one I have now, and that fails the EURO5 MOT particle counter test.
Luckily the van is registered as a EURO4, so it takes the soot test like a champ.
Mine is from 2009 (november), and has always stood outside (as the garage is too small for the van), at 2km from the seaside for 15 years almost.

Back