Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Experiences of heavy load on rear of California

Thanks for that. Im not sure if your aware but those spot welds on an M8 would be unlikely to restrain 200kg in a heavy deceleration crash situation.
What I sometimes do is to put a 10t strap around the towbar or rear subframe then tie it to the rear wheel and shut the tail gate on it. Just in case.

Ah wondered where that was I couldnt it. Bet its a bargain. Not ! Looks pretty professional though and weight 65 kg or does it mean thats what it can take ?

From past experience if the vans loaded it’s less of a problem with a bit weight hanging off the back, with a light van it can be the tail wagging the dog, had a Honda quad on the back once, was interesting with an empty van, ton pallet in the side door was no problem. VW recommendation for max ball weight is safety related which is quite often ignored...

Rear B6 shocks for vans are specificity rated for heavy trailer loads and a good idea for vans at max weight, although a bit harsh when empty.

If traveling further afield Germany can be a problem with something hanging off the back if the police have nothing better to do, if it’s TÜV it’s normally OK although they may drag you to a weigh bridge, also saw signs last year directing everything over 2,800 kg to a weigh bridge and they will check if you have the correct tyre load rating.

It all depends on what’s flavor of the day, last year in northern Spain saw police stopping van, tape measure out to check the overhang, on the spot fine...

Sorry to be a killjoy, it’s just how it is, you should try taking a truck overseas, it’s just everyday life.

From past experience if the vans loaded it’s less of a problem with a bit weight hanging off the back, with a light van it can be the tail wagging the dog, had a Honda quad on the back once, was interesting with an empty van, ton pallet in the side door was no problem. VW recommendation for max ball weight is safety related which is quite often ignored...

Rear B6 shocks for vans are specificity rated for heavy trailer loads and a good idea for vans at max weight, although a bit harsh when empty.

If traveling further afield Germany can be a problem with something hanging off the back if the police have nothing better to do, if it’s TÜV it’s normally OK although they may drag you to a weigh bridge, also saw signs last year directing everything over 2,800 kg to a weigh bridge and they will check if you have the correct tyre load rating.

It all depends on what’s flavor of the day, last year in northern Spain saw police stopping van, tape measure out to check the overhang, on the spot fine...

Sorry to be a killjoy, it’s just how it is, you should try taking a truck overseas, it’s just everyday life.
That is my experience nowadays, especially abroad. tow bar loading, axle loading, overhang, signage can all be checked if the fancy takes them ...and maybe short of funds?

Getting more attention from DVSA and Police in UK as they correctly rate overloading as rendering a vehicle dangerous to other road users as well as the driver/passengers. Big fine and vehicle immobilised until excess weight removed, up to vehicle owner to find a method of excess weight onward travel.
Dumping the family by the roadside wouldn't create domestic harmony.

Not just the payload but the individual rear axel weight maybe too high, you may still have to slide the rear seat forward to move weight off the axel.

I had to transport the late father in law’s mobility flyte scooter in the rear and that weighed about 250kgs with its ramps and the van felt fine but you knew it was there. Having the uprated rear springs helped.
View attachment 52600
Interesting ramp, though not sure about the tie downs. I have the Koller rail inserts for clamping down and I think they are M12 to meet the crash tests. Only just fit between the rails and rubber.

We used these fittings and ratchet tie downs. Bike weight 195Kgms

I have these and would not advise using them to tie down a mass as per their advertised rating. You have to think what happens should you crash or have a quick deceleration and how much dynamic load that actually is to be stopped from moving.

Back