Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

HEAVY-DUTY ANTI-ROLL BARS

I have ordered Heavy-Duty anti-roll bars front and rear with standard suspension and shock absorbers + £204.00 incl VAT as per the July 2016 brochure/price list. However, my New Vehicle Order Form lists them as Front and Rear Heavy Duty Shock-Absorbers and anti-roll bars, No. 111149 at the same price. Additionally, I ordered Mudflaps, front and rear but my dealer tells me that VW say I can not have them with the aforementioned anti-roll bars.
VW just put through a replacement van order for us (accidentally built with 2-rail floor from 4motion) and that had the same code (2MF) and description for the uprated anti roll bars as our existing MY16. I haven't seen any six digit codes like that one though.

Last edited:
VW just put through replacement van order for us (accidentally built with 2-rail floor from 4motion) and that had the same code (2MF) and description for the uprated anti roll bars as our existing MY16. I haven't seen any six digit codes like that one though.
None of the factory options listed on my order form have similar codes to those I have seen on other posts. Mine have all got five or six digit codes but the prices all match the published price list. Perhaps they are dealer codes.

All Calis have Anti Roll bars. The HD Roll bar is thicker, hence less roll.
It can't make the vehicle higher.
With standard springs and uprated anti roll bars ours looks like 199cm to the highest point in the centre of the roof, and 202cm to the rear of the awning. At it's centre the awning is also 199cm.

Did anyone drive back to back standard and heavy duty roll bar versions?

My concern is, although there will be less roll on smooth bends, the suspension will be less independent and more jittery on uneven roads.

Did anyone drive back to back standard and heavy duty roll bar versions?

My concern is, although there will be less roll on smooth bends, the suspension will be less independent and more jittery on uneven roads.
Not literally back to back, but have tried both and did not detect any change in ride other than the distinctly reduced lean on roundabouts etc.

Suppose I'm concerned that while the HD anti roll bars would stop lean on a smooth roundabout / corner by keeping the body more perpendicular to the road, by the same token if the road is uneven it will track the uneven surface - e.g. the suspension will not move as freely into any depressions / potholes which would cause the whole van to actually roll from side to side more than on a van with normal thickness anti roll bars.

Suppose I'm concerned that while the HD anti roll bars would stop lean on a smooth roundabout / corner by keeping the body more perpendicular to the road, by the same token if the road is uneven it will track the uneven surface - e.g. the suspension will not move as freely into any depressions / potholes which would cause the whole van to actually roll from side to side more than on a van with normal thickness anti roll bars.
You're driving a builders van!!!

You're driving a builders van!!!
Yes, but still want it to handle as well as possible. My point is everything is a compromise so the HD anti roll bars will stop it rolling on smooth roads but maybe make it roll around more on uneven roads.

I think it's very doubtful it will make any difference offroad.
The weight if the van will ensure that if there is sufficient suspension travel the the wheel will follow the contours of the ground. Presumably offroad you won't be doing anywhere near the speed on a normal road so the suspension will have plenty of time to react

I think it's very doubtful it will make any difference offroad.
The weight if the van will ensure that if there is sufficient suspension travel the the wheel will follow the contours of the ground. Presumably offroad you won't be doing anywhere near the speed on a normal road so the suspension will have plenty of time to react

Was thinking on-road. Round my neck of the woods the roads are pretty bad, uneven, big potholes etc.

Think I'll probably go for it, assume I could always switch to the standard bars if it doesn't suit.

Was thinking on-road. Round my neck of the woods the roads are pretty bad, uneven, big potholes etc.

Think I'll probably go for it, assume I could always switch to the standard bars if it doesn't suit.
Or you could do it the other way round and fit if you are unhappy with normal. Which I don't think you will be.:thumb

With standard springs and uprated anti roll bars ours looks like 199cm to the highest point in the centre of the roof, and 202cm to the rear of the awning. At it's centre the awning is also 199cm.
Our replacement van, also with uprated anti roll bars, seems to be the same original height. With VW/Eibach -30mm springs this one measures 199cm to the rear of the awning.

Just about to tick the box to have heavy-duty anti-roll bars on our T6 but now having second thoughts.

We are used to having hard suspension, our other rides being an MGB and a Golf GTI Anniversary, both with modified suspension, but on a Cali is this a good option to choose?

Yes if you are approaching a downhill corner too fast it would be, but for general use I found the suspension quite firm enough on our previous T5 4Motion and I wonder if the anti-roll aspect might be detrimental to the general ride quality.

Does anyone have any experience of heavy-duty anti-roll bars on a Cali to enlighten those like me who might be about to choose this option?
yes have it but like it. came with this spec.

I have the HD roll-bars. Plumped for them because I often carry roof loads which raise the COG. I don't know how much difference it makes but I was certainly very pleased with performance on very challenging roads in Corsica and Italy.

I too spec’d the HD anti roll-bars at birth (the birth of the Cali that is!) so I haven't driven one without by way of comparison but I certainly would recommend them. It's still a very smooth ride. Fitting them to a sports car is very different from fitting them to what is essentially a 3-tonne van. It won’t feel like a GTi after, thats for sure!

The suspension feels just right, and there is less roll on roundabouts etc. A few months after I collected the Cali I also then had 30mm lowering springs fitted, which along with the HD anti-roll bars has made the ride perfect in my book. It feels far more planted on the road and I often forget that I’m driving a van as opposed to a car! It used to feel very wallowey around corners whereas now it doesn’t. I feel more confident in the vehicle, and the drive is far better and more enjoyable IMO.

The fitting of the HD bars does not alter the existing ride height.

Just to reiterate, anti roll bars, heavy duty or otherwise, have NO effect on ride stiffness.

Sorry to drag this thread up again - was there a definitive answer on the question of a new T6, ordered with HD roll bars and increased (or not) ride height?

Lots of talk above about sport line springs etc etc, but I'm interested in if there is an actual difference in ride height when comparing a standard T6 to one with factory fitted HD roll bars. Keen to make sure my new one will be under 2m and able to get in all the car parks, that's all.

Sorry to drag this thread up again - was there a definitive answer on the question of a new T6, ordered with HD roll bars and increased (or not) ride height?

Lots of talk above about sport line springs etc etc, but I'm interested in if there is an actual difference in ride height when comparing a standard T6 to one with factory fitted HD roll bars. Keen to make sure my new one will be under 2m and able to get in all the car parks, that's all.
All I can say is that our first van was an Ocean with HD roll bars and measured 202cm. Our replacement van is same spec apart from VW 30mm lowering springs and measures 199cm in the same place (to rear of awning), both on flat even surface and no significant load. Hope this might help.

control the ride height, not ARB'S. We've had a T5 on standard ARB's and two T6's on upgraded ARBs. LOOKED the same oSpringsn all three.
One thing I've noticed is, that as all three were 4 Mo's, they sat low at the rear when fully loaded, perhaps T5 more so.

Add springs to beginning of post!

Anybody had these retro fitted?

All I can say is that our first van was an Ocean with HD roll bars and measured 202cm. Our replacement van is same spec apart from VW 30mm lowering springs and measures 199cm in the same place (to rear of awning), both on flat even surface and no significant load. Hope this might help.

Oh no !!!
We have the anti roll bars. & have been under several 2.0 M barriers including the the tolls on the French motorways. No lowering of suspension.

I measured our van with 30mm lowering springs, HD roll bars and cassette awning at 203cm – I think I'd allowed for a 1-2cm error.

I was wanting supplying dealer to fit uprated anti-roll bars but they seem to have no knowledge of these being available as Genuine Part is this correct ?

Back