Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exporting T5 to Australia....anyone done it?

Oliver

Oliver

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi, we are moving to Melbourne, Australia and have started to look into exporting our Cali. VW does not sell the Cali in Australia and there seem no second hand ones for sales. Has anyone had experience in exporting to Australia? Does it require some conversions to comply with local laws.

Hi and welcome , hope you can arrrange things to get your Cali exported.

We do have a couple of members from Australia that should be able to advise

Don't mod it. You need to convert the stove to propane. Any vehicle valued over roughly £35k in the local market is subject to exorbitant tax of 33%. regardless you'll still get killed on taxes and fees, expect a bill of around £7-10k all in to get your van there.

Local conversions are pretty crap though.

When I looked at it it was better to buy a local caravel le and convert yourself (roof and interior) but really you need a 4wd with some guts to enjoy the country so you may want to look at a non VW solution.

Thanks Fred. Very helpful and good to know about gas conversion. I got a cost estimate which comes to £9k based on a £35k vehicle value. 10% GST, 5% Import tax account for £5k. Rest is freight, insurance, handling, and engineering checks. This is pre any cost to convert non compliant aspects. Agree that the local market is crap. My view is that I would have to pay the 10% GST on any car so the question is whether speding £5.5k is worth it for having a Cali. The luxury car tax is only calculated on the value above A$63k so not much to worry about in the scheme of things. Just applied for the import license today and will know in 20 working days whether its approved.

My Import Approval Confirmation just came through from the Australian government. Looks like our Cali might be the first one to get into Australia.

Have you checked your roof for corrosion before you go?

My Import Approval Confirmation just came through from the Australian government. Looks like our Cali might be the first one to get into Australia.
Hi Oliver,

Sorry to tell you that you wont be the first Cali here in Oz, cus that's me!!:bananadance

I had the good fortune of being able to buy mine off of my old boss, after he had been through the import process. Saved me all the hassle. He sold it to me pretty much straight after importing. I can confirm that the stove/gas connections had to be removed. I haven't replaced them (this is Oz, land of the BBQ).

One thing to bear in mind is that any spare/replacement parts you may require cost an absolute fortune, as they are all imported from Germany, no local stock. I had to replace my glass fridge lid, just over $1000:(

Anyway, good luck with it all, feel free to get it touch, should you need any assistance. I'll see what i can do

I had a NZ new Cali in NZ and spoke to VW AU who said they could get one there so you can order one in Au, always have been able to. VW NZ could get you one as well, the boat from Singapore (where they come from) stops in Brisbane and Sydney anyway...

I had a NZ new Cali in NZ and spoke to VW AU who said they could get one there so you can order one in Au, always have been able to. VW NZ could get you one as well, the boat from Singapore (where they come from) stops in Brisbane and Sydney anyway...

VW AU have told me that they will not import Cali's here to Oz, there are restrictions because it is felt that these would cut in to the booming local retrofit industry and there is not enough interest due to the fact that the price tag would be in excess of $100,000. The only way to get a Cali was to own it for at least one year in the UK and then self import. Maybe things have changed, if so.......here comes an order for a T6 :thumb

Took my Cali to the main Sydney dealer to find out about parts/servicing/fitting reversing camera. They just looked at me blankly and said that as they didn't sell these and had no experience with them, they would not touch it...great help! Same response in Darwin (which is where i took ownership).

Lucky there are some great independent VW service centres around (http://www.vwvillage.com.au) that are happy to help.

Yeah interesting, they said that to me as in they would never offer them up as an option but would order me one. VW NZ were the same , I sat with them on the configurator and ordered it. So you def can get one new, but as you say the price is nuts. Saying that I bought mine and sold it for a slight profit after 18 months when I left !

Btw, VW NZ now have the California ( Ocean) on their website + $130,000 NZD. Have so far meet 2 of the new T6 Ocean owners just by chance. One guy came up and said hello yesterday at the Coronet Peak ski field car park. He wanted to know about our Seikel lift kit. Incredibly he mentioned his had been bought for him as a surprise birthday present. Wow... There's even a two tone red/white one touring the country as a demonstrator. It's due in Nelson soon. Worth a visit me thinks.

Hi Oliver,

Sorry to tell you that you wont be the first Cali here in Oz, cus that's me!!:bananadance

I had the good fortune of being able to buy mine off of my old boss, after he had been through the import process. Saved me all the hassle. He sold it to me pretty much straight after importing. I can confirm that the stove/gas connections had to be removed. I haven't replaced them (this is Oz, land of the BBQ).

One thing to bear in mind is that any spare/replacement parts you may require cost an absolute fortune, as they are all imported from Germany, no local stock. I had to replace my glass fridge lid, just over $1000:(

Anyway, good luck with it all, feel free to get it touch, should you need any assistance. I'll see what i can do
Hi Chris,
glad to know I am no alone! Just started our 3 months tour through Europe hence late reply. When you say the stove/gas connection was removed, is that simply removing the gas hose / pipe? Would be easy to put back into place post MOT. Where about in Australia are you? We will be in Melbourne and already looking for a VW dealer to support me. Any tips?

Let's hope that they continue or become more available over time. That would make a new T7 (hopefully completely new design and hybrid!) a real option. Definitely waiting for 2020 and putting away some savings for it.

Hi Oliver,

Not

No I think we might be the first Cali in Aus! Lol
(Except for the 4 Cali's brought over by VW themselves)
Would not change it for the world! Cali is made for Australian camping. I am trying to get another one over :)

VW AU have told me that they will not import Cali's here to Oz, there are restrictions because it is felt that these would cut in to the booming local retrofit industry and there is not enough interest due to the fact that the price tag would be in excess of $100,000. The only way to get a Cali was to own it for at least one year in the UK and then self import. Maybe things have changed, if so.......here comes an order for a T6 :thumb

Took my Cali to the main Sydney dealer to find out about parts/servicing/fitting reversing camera. They just looked at me blankly and said that as they didn't sell these and had no experience with them, they would not touch it...great help! Same response in Darwin (which is where i took ownership).

Lucky there are some great independent VW service centres around (http://www.vwvillage.com.au) that are happy to help.

We took ours to the VW in castle hill. They fitted a new reading lamp and they have acces to all the California service information. Great service.

Hi Oliver,

Hi Chris, just had my Cali assessed. They say I need to convert the electricity which means cutting a new hole for the socket, replacement of RCD, outlets, plug and socket for the refrigerator and replace inverter outlet. Did you have to do this?
Thanks
Oliver

No I think we might be the first Cali in Aus! Lol
(Except for the 4 Cali's brought over by VW themselves)
Would not change it for the world! Cali is made for Australian camping. I am trying to get another one over :)
Hi Cornelia, what conversions had to be done to make it roadworthy? Decomission gas cooker, change of voltage / electricity or additional air vents? My Cali is currently with Cartech in Melbourne who are assessing changes required. Thanks for any pointers. Oliver

Hi Chris, just had my Cali assessed. They say I need to convert the electricity which means cutting a new hole for the socket, replacement of RCD, outlets, plug and socket for the refrigerator and replace inverter outlet. Did you have to do this?
Thanks
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

The electrics were not an issue for me, however, the van was imported into W.A. and i believe each state has different laws/stipulations. I still have the UK socket and got around the problem by putting a UK plug on an aussie bought 4 way outlet.

I would maybe consider asking if this IS necessary or is it just advice??

Hi Oliver,

The electrics were not an issue for me, however, the van was imported into W.A. and i believe each state has different laws/stipulations. I still have the UK socket and got around the problem by putting a UK plug on an aussie bought 4 way outlet.

I would maybe consider asking if this IS necessary or is it just advice??
Hi Chris, thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I think this will help.

Hi all,

I would desperately like to purchase a T6 Cali, reside in Aus, and according to car advice Vw Australia are still deciding whether or not they are going to make them available to the Australian market.

If Vw decide against the aforementioned, is there any possibility of importing it directly from the manufacturer?

Any assistance in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brandon

Hi all,

I would desperately like to purchase a T6 Cali, reside in Aus, and according to car advice Vw Australia are still deciding whether or not they are going to make them available to the Australian market.

If Vw decide against the aforementioned, is there any possibility of importing it directly from the manufacturer?

Any assistance in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Brandon
Hi and welcome to the Forum.
I have visited Aussie land a few times as my son has emigrated and works in Sydney.
A few pointers to consider:-
1. Can you emigrate as they have some pretty stiff rules regarding who can reside and for how long.
2. Unless VW Australia decide to offer the California then a private import is possible, but not straightforward.
3. The T6 with its Euro 6 engine and requirement for Adblue may not be the best option if no-one is prepared to service it.
4. I would seriously consider a homegrown conversion/camper for the Australian market. I know its not a California but at least servicing and repairs will be more easily arranged and it will be built to take account of the local environment.

Anything is possible if you have the funds, just wether it is practical all round. :thumb

Hi and welcome to the Forum.
I have visited Aussie land a few times as my son has emigrated and works in Sydney.
A few pointers to consider:-
1. Can you emigrate as they have some pretty stiff rules regarding who can reside and for how long.
2. Unless VW Australia decide to offer the California then a private import is possible, but not straightforward.
3. The T6 with its Euro 6 engine and requirement for Adblue may not be the best option if no-one is prepared to service it.
4. I would seriously consider a homegrown conversion/camper for the Australian market. I know its not a California but at least servicing and repairs will be more easily arranged and it will be built to take account of the local environment.

Anything is possible if you have the funds, just wether it is practical all round. :thumb
FYI, the NZ market T6 California still uses the Euro 5 engine. Only one model is available tho;the Ocean 132kW 4 Motion DSG. And then there's the EGR issue...is it solved or not??

Back