Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Exporting T5 to Australia....anyone done it?

FYI, the NZ market T6 California still uses the Euro 5 engine. Only one model is available tho;the Ocean 132kW 4 Motion DSG. And then there's the EGR issue...is it solved or not??
Euro 5 is probably the better bet. ? Import from New Zealand? As far as the " Oil Consumption " problem that seems to predominately affect 2010/2011 CFCA engines, well as far as I am concerned I have yet to see any Class 1 evidence as to the cause except VW's explanation that there was a manufacturing discrepancy affecting some 2010/2011 engines that was corrected for the 2012 MY engines. Pictures of 1 EGR cooler and some oil tests on some engines is not evidence.

Hi all,

Looking for some good advice here. I'm originally from Melbourne and have moved over to London as of this year. I plan to do a 4.5 month trip around europe and looking at either purchasing a van or hiring one.

If I was to purchase one I would seriously look into getting exported back to Melbourne at the end of my journey. Could someone that has done this please please please tell me what roughly cost I am up against?
Is it worth the ideal if I plan to use it in Australia?

thanks all :)

I bought a dealer demonstrator in UK tax free - make sure it is 'VAT Qualifying' and exported it to NZ at the end of six months. So I only paid the tax once. The Beach was also a better bet as I avoided the 10% 'campervan tax' as it doesn't have a fridge, cooker or sink (classed as a car) and I didn't have to worry about gas or electrics compliance. I've built a 'kitchen pod' and have it certified as self-contained here in NZ.

I reckon you would be better with a Beach to avoid issues with electrics and gas compliance. Besides your climate is much better for solar and bbq and you won't need a full fat Cali.:Grin

Cali will fit in 20ft container if you go to the right shipper. If you search my posts on here you find details of customs forms for UK, shippers etc.

Andy

Interesting fact time: We were told at the California factory that VW will never sell the California in Australia as the sliding door is on the "wrong side" and this prevents it from getting type approval over there. As VW have no intention of changing this, they are happy not to sell them there even though it is a big market.

We took ours to the VW in castle hill. They fitted a new reading lamp and they have acces to all the California service information. Great service.
Hi, we need to know more about importing a Californian from U.k. can you help, is it worth the trouble??

FYI, the NZ market T6 California still uses the Euro 5 engine. Only one model is available tho;the Ocean 132kW 4 Motion DSG. And then there's the EGR issue...is it solved or not??
I see you can get a Euro 6 engine for $5k on top of the $130,000 base cost!

Hi, we need to know more about importing a Californian from U.k. can you help, is it worth the trouble??

Only you can tell whether it is worthwhile regarding trouble, exchange rate etc. I went back to the UK in July and bought a 3 month old Beach demonstrator VAT free that's getting shipped to Auckland for £1750 including £500 of marine insurance.

You can buy it and use it in the EU, or have it shipped directly. I've done both options highlighted below. Search HMRC for the regulations and I recommend Firstbase for shipping: http://www.shipcars.co.uk/ a Cali will fit in a 20ft container. Don't use Ro-Ro.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...uk/vat-notice-703-export-of-goods-from-the-uk

4.13 Export of motor vehicles

You can zero-rate the supply of any motor vehicle, new or second hand:

· as a direct export under the conditions specified in paragraph 3.3, provided that the vehicle is not used or delivered in the EC before it is exported

· as an indirect export under the conditions specified in paragraph 3.4 provided that the vehicle is not subsequently used except for the trip to the place of departure from the EC, or

· if the vehicle is sold to a private individual under the terms of the Personal Export Scheme – see paragraph 9.1

Good Luck

Andy

Thanks Fred. Very helpful and good to know about gas conversion. I got a cost estimate which comes to £9k based on a £35k vehicle value. 10% GST, 5% Import tax account for £5k. Rest is freight, insurance, handling, and engineering checks. This is pre any cost to convert non compliant aspects. Agree that the local market is crap. My view is that I would have to pay the 10% GST on any car so the question is whether speding £5.5k is worth it for having a Cali. The luxury car tax is only calculated on the value above A$63k so not much to worry about in the scheme of things. Just applied for the import license today and will know in 20 working days whether its approved.
No I think we might be the first Cali in Aus! Lol
(Except for the 4 Cali's brought over by VW themselves)
Would not change it for the world! Cali is made for Australian camping. I am trying to get another one over :)
!
Any news regarding importing another Cali?

Hi Cornelia, what conversions had to be done to make it roadworthy? Decomission gas cooker, change of voltage / electricity or additional air vents? My Cali is currently with Cartech in Melbourne who are assessing changes required. Thanks for any pointers. Oliver
Oliver, have you managed to get your Cali on the road, is so what are the hurdles i will need to jump over should i bring one back from UK

Would not change it for the world! Cali is made for Australian camping. I am trying to get another one over :)
Hi Cornelia, i'm very keen to know the best way to get a Cali here from Germany/UK, My plan is to go to EU and purchase one new or used, travel extensivly and then export it to melbourne, any help or advise would be greatly appreciated
regards Sandy

Cornelia, how is going with your next import, any problems i need to be aware of?

My new Beach is on it's way and sailing past Lisbon today and in the Med tomorrow. Arriving in NZ mid-October.:)

Andy

Hi Goldie. What are you doing with your present one?
Nothing finalised yet, but I plan on selling current one as I've had quite a bit of interest in it. Mrs G would like to keep the current one as she loves the Sunny Yellow! I must admit the T5 is a better looking vehicle with Xenon's and less black plastic around the front end. However, the new T6 has DSG and Parking Heater, which I think we need. She's a fair weather camper and I do all the driving!

Andy

I've been looking out for a sunny yellow Beach on the Kapiti Coast when I drive up that way. Not spotted you so far. What colour did you get this time? Gotta say I agree that a parking heater is a must in any thing but summer camping here in the South Island. There was a mint looking silver 2007 Cali 4Motion on Trademe recently that seemed to be on for less than a week. Great fun to be able to track your VW on it's boat sailing over here.

I've been looking out for a sunny yellow Beach on the Kapiti Coast when I drive up that way. Not spotted you so far. What colour did you get this time? Gotta say I agree that a parking heater is a must in any thing but summer camping here in the South Island. There was a mint looking silver 2007 Cali 4Motion on Trademe recently that seemed to be on for less than a week. Great fun to be able to track your VW on it's boat sailing over here.

Only gets out on weekends. Cali hasn't been used enough - just checked and it only has 12,200 km on the clock - criminal! Intention is to get out and about a bit more in future in the new one. Just need to sort out work/life balance.

Went for the Mojave Beige which is light gold colour. Should be a good light reflective colour for NZ. Dealer still has it listed for sale even though I bought it in July.

The marine tracking application is great - just passing Oran, Algeria as I type this. Can't track once it changes ship in Singapore. Had to have it shipped to Auckland as Wellington container port cranes are still out of action following earthquake last year.

Andy

Hello, I have a T5 California which has just been imported to Perth Australia. Can I ask if anyone has any recommendations for insurance? The VW California is obviously not listed on all of the usual price comparison websites!
Thanks
James

Hello, I have a T5 California which has just been imported to Perth Australia. Can I ask if anyone has any recommendations for insurance? The VW California is obviously not listed on all of the usual price comparison websites!
Thanks
James
Hi James,

I use www.cilinsurance.com.au, couldn't find anyone else that would insure, well, I struggled to find any company that knew what I was trying to insure actually. These guys should be able to help you out.

You're in for some great trips along the West coast, enjoy

Thanks Chris, I will check them out

Thanks
James

Hi James i suggest you contact Oliver in melb or Camelia in Brissie they have Oceans and i presume they insure them. they are mwembers of the club and Cameliaa has set up the australian california club on facebook.

BTW, I am intending to go to UK, purchase a Cali, drive around Uk an EU for 12 mths then export it to Aus. I need to know who you used as your shipping agent, and approx costs also how long did you own your Cali in Uk before exporting it,
the facebook address for calis in Aus is "VW California owners Australia"
hope we can help
best regards Sandy

sandy mcp, Today at 7:24 AMReport

Hi James i suggest you contact Oliver in melb or Camelia in Brissie they have Oceans and i presume they insure them. they are mwembers of the club and Cameliaa has set up the australian california club on facebook.

BTW, I am intending to go to UK, purchase a Cali, drive around Uk an EU for 12 mths then export it to Aus. I need to know who you used as your shipping agent, and approx costs also how long did you own your Cali in Uk before exporting it,
the facebook address for calis in Aus is "VW California owners Australia"
hope we can help
best regards Sandy

sandy mcp, Today at 7:24 AMReport

G’day Sandy, can you confirm the Facebook page addresss please. I am an expat currently living in the uk and have bought a Cali SE with intent to take it back to Australia with us when we return. It is good to see several others doing the same so hopefully we will be be able to get some good tips beforehand.
Ken

Hello again,
My next question is regarding the gas! We have the California and its all registered etc. I am trying to sort out the gas connections so I can use the stove top. The importing bloke has been a bit useless. I think a 1.25kg LPG canister will fit, but there needs to be a different connector/regulator. Anyone managed to fix it all up?
Thanks
James

Hello again,
My next question is regarding the gas! We have the California and its all registered etc. I am trying to sort out the gas connections so I can use the stove top. The importing bloke has been a bit useless. I think a 1.25kg LPG canister will fit, but there needs to be a different connector/regulator. Anyone managed to fix it all up?
Thanks
James
The Red rubber tube, from the vehicle pipe to the Gas regulator/stop tap, supplied in the California can be cut at the Regulator end and replaced by the regulator of your choice to fit the bottle as long as it is the correct pressure 28-30 mbar. Ideally a quick release regulator for your bottle or an in-line quick release fitting.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/loose-gas-connection.12031/page-2

Resurrecting an old thread. Assume everything is going to change given VW has confirmed they will sell the California here this year.

Back