Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Warranty

Slightly different I know, but still part of the VW group.

We bought a Skoda Citigo two years ago and paid for an extra 2 years factory warranty. On all service documentation it gives the factory warranty expiry date. Such a simple thing to do!

They screwed up other things: but in this they got it spot on! No ifs, no buts, no doubts.

Just a quick update. Finally had VW customer service contact me this week. They had been in touch with the dealer and agreed that an extended warranty had been purchased BUT the only proof going forward is the certificate. VW do not it seems record this against the vehicle on their records. You must have a copy of this certificate in years to come to confirm purchase of the warranty passed year three. Not great and the dealers don’t seem aware/proactive of the need to ensure their customers have access to the document.

Does anyone here have firsthand experience of an extended warranty and if any problems with claims.

Does anyone here have firsthand experience of an extended warranty and if any problems with claims.
VW has problems recording extended warranties. I purchased VW extended warranties with a new golf in 2016 and an ex-demo Cali in 2017.

Both extended warranties were not recorded on the VW system. When the first extended-warranty repair came up on the Golf, a dealer told me that there was no warranty on the system. Luckily, I found the original purchase paperwork and the dealer/VWCS had the warranty put on the system. Since then, it has not been a problem with the Golf.

I took that opportunity to check whether my Cali’s extended warranty was on the system. It was not. Once again I had the dealer and VWCS put it on the system.

Initially with the Golf, I was almost convinced that I hadn’t taken out the warranty, until I checked the paperwork. This made me ponder how convenient it would have been for VW, to systematically forget to register warranties.

Despite the re-occurrence with the Cali warranty, I have since surmised that VW/VWCS/dealers are not the seamless, sophisticated organisation one might imagine, hence the warranty fiascos are more likely incompetence than dishonesty.

If you assume the VW back-office software to be as shonky as the various VW apps & connectivity, then it's easy to see how such errors occur!

I used it for a water leak into the tailgate cavity. They replaced the rear brake light and seal without question. I didn’t have to show any paperwork, but the garage do know me.

When I had my Skoda Citigo serviced recently the expiry date of the extended warranty was printed on the service documentation. I don’t understand why VW commercial vehicles can’t do this!

Just had an email from VW saying our warranty is up in April , when we actually have a 2 year Extended Warranty bought at time of purchase of new Cali Ocean from Liverpool in 2019.
Spent 20 minutes on the phone, telling me we weren’t on the system, with someone whose 1st language wasn’t English and was about as useful as a ‘chocolate teapot’.
With the paperwork at hand, reference numbers et al I spent another 20 minutes trying to get through again, I then gave up for my sanity’s sake.
Now sent an email to VW Commercial UK in the hope that someone there can read and sort this out !
Has anyone similar experience and any advise
Thanks

I spent a bit of time dealing with this with my first T6.

The extended warranty is recorded on a different system, ELSA. It can be quite difficult to trust it's ok, as there was no paperwork, other than the initial invoice in my case.

It does work for warranty claims after the initial 3 years. That particular T6 had eml issues, so was always in and out of the dealership. :cool:

I spent a bit of time dealing with this with my first T6.

The extended warranty is recorded on a different system, ELSA. It can be quite difficult to trust it's ok, as there was no paperwork, other than the initial invoice in my case.

It does work for warranty claims after the initial 3 years. That particular T6 had eml issues, so was always in and out of the dealership. :cool:
Thanks, I’ve sent the email with our Cert.. Ref number and we’ll see what happens.. I was aware of the ELSA system and also mentioned that.
It is so disorganised, shocking really.

Thanks, I’ve sent the email with our Cert.. Ref number and we’ll see what happens.. I was aware of the ELSA system and also mentioned that.
It is so disorganised, shocking really.
There was a spat of incidence previously, if you have the paperwork it should get sorted eventually.
there has been reports of people not having paperwork !
what happens then I don’t know?

Last edited:
There was a spat of incidence previousl, if you have the paperwork it should get sorted eventually.
there has been reports of people not having paperwork !
what happens then I don’t know?
We took a 5-year/150,000 mile extended warranty and received no paperwork. I was given several assurances by the dealership that it was in place but still no paperwork. I called VW Customer Services who couldn’t help, saying something like ‘warranties are held on a different database’. I kept pushing for it and eventually received a document from VWFS via the dealership. Really can’t understand why a Warranty Certificate can’t be issued following purchase. Painful!

We took a 5-year/150,000 mile extended warranty and received no paperwork. I was given several assurances by the dealership that it was in place but still no paperwork. I called VW Customer Services who couldn’t help, saying something like ‘warranties are held on a different database’. I kept pushing for it and eventually received a document from VWFS via the dealership. Really can’t understand why a Warranty Certificate can’t be issued following purchase. Painful!
It should be part of the hand over process = no extended warranty paperwork no final signature, dealer would soon sort it out.

We actually ‘have’ the Extended Warranty paperwork, Cert etc from the dealership and yet still received an email from VW telling us our warranty was up at the end of three years. That’s what we are struggling to resolve at the moment. It seems pretty shambolic !

We actually ‘have’ the Extended Warranty paperwork, Cert etc from the dealership and yet still received an email from VW telling us our warranty was up at the end of three years. That’s what we are struggling to resolve at the moment. It seems pretty shambolic !
Your VW Assistance runs out after 3 yrs and needs to be renewed if you want. It is not extended with the purchase of the 2 Yr extended warranty.

Your VW Assistance runs out after 3 yrs and needs to be renewed if you want. It is not extended with the purchase of the 2 Yr extended warranty.
Yes, I intend to extend the Roadside Assistance with VW it’s the Extended Warranty they need to sort out.

If you have a paper copy of the contract (receipt), you should have no issues, it’s VW that need to sort out their records, simply providing a photo of the Document should resolve the issue

Van bought new from Preston van centre April 2019...

I've also had the email stating my standard warranty was up despite having the 2 year extended warranty bought during the order process. I used the online chat system and got through to a human who confirmed that they knew the van had the extended warranty against it, so I calmed down.

Then went in to Preston this week to book it's first MOT, do a major service at the same time and do a bunch of jobs under warranty that they've previously worked on but have reoccurred. Knowing this was a bag of work and that one of the jobs would involve an overnight stay for the van I asked if I could have a courtesy vehicle while they played with my van and went through the usual rigmarole of being told I couldn't possibly have a courtesy vehicle because it's not like they're a vehicle dealership with vehicles coming out of their ears or anything.

The conversation moved on to prioritising the work they could get done in one day and as my warranty is up soon lets concentrate on that and backheal the service down the road a few months...

"...but ive got an extended warranty"...
"Ah well, yes, but it's not quite the same thing"
"i was told its the equivalent of the main warranty when i bought the van?"
"well it is yes, but there's a whole different process and you may not get the same result as the standard warranty...so its the same but there's differences"
"right..."

This extended warranty sounds a bit like when they sold me the van and said not to worry about it being a daily driver/kid taxi as there would always be a courtesy vehicle available, except when I actually ask for one and am told I'd have to wait four months till a courtesy vehicle is available and it would be a two-seater caddy standing in for my 7 seater school-run family transport.

It doesn't inspire confidence:confused:

If you used Vw for any finance you will have an online account with them. If you log in, as well as finance details all warranty and service agreement details are shown as well. The details are retained even after the finance is paid off.

Back