Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extended Warranty

campandfly

campandfly

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
While we have generally been fortunate with our T5 SE 180 4 Motion regarding things fixed under warranty, we were just wondering if others had taken out extended warranty.

We are coming up to the 3 year end of warranty in spring next year and will have to think about whether to have this added warranty.
Have not checked prices or costs yet or what is included or not.

Has anyone taken the extended warranty out and would like to share their experience?

Thank you

I am almost loathe to tell you this but I have a feeling that you have to buy the extended factory warranty within 3 months of the original registration date.......unless that has been changed. Certainly looking at the current brochure and online this is the case.

So I guess you will have to think about a third party warranty...hmmm, sorry I know nothing of those except it sounds like a bit of a minefield.

All the best.

Edit: The above is based on a T5 SE 180 4motion (as your Avatar) - are you buying a new Cali?

Also interested in extending the warranty at 3 years, any recommendations welcome. This is for T5 and not new T6 sales.

I am almost loathe to tell you this but I have a feeling that you have to buy the extended factory warranty within 3 months of the original registration date.......unless that has been changed. Certainly looking at the current brochure and online this is the case.

So I guess you will have to think about a third party warranty...hmmm, sorry I know nothing of those except it sounds like a bit of a minefield.

All the best.

Edit: The above is based on a T5 SE 180 4motion (as your Avatar) - are you buying a new Cali?
Unless they've dropped the option you could buy extended warranties after the 3 months but the price was prohibitive. I asked when mine was about to come out of its 3 year cover and decided it was a non starter.

Unless they've dropped the option you could buy extended warranties after the 3 months but the price was prohibitive. I asked when mine was about to come out of its 3 year cover and decided it was a non starter.
I think after the three months it becomes a "Dealer" as opposed to a "Factory" warranty and that is provided by a third party hence the prohibitive price.

I might drop the people I purchased the vehicle an email and see what the deal is. I am not thinking of selling or buying another at the moment.
It just feels a bit scary when you are suddenly on your own for anything major that may go wrong.

This is a bit tricky. Called the dealer I purchased from. They said they do not offer extended warranty services we need to contact Volkswagen to do that.
Contacted Volkswagen. They said they do offer extended warranty but cannot give a quote until the vehicle is 30 days before the end of its 3 year warranty.
So I will have to wait a month before expiry of my 3 year factory warranty.
An alternative would be to find a third party offering cover.

I have attached a PDF file of where Volkswagen directed me to the policy details.

Attachments

• Cali extended warranty.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 36
This is a bit tricky. Called the dealer I purchased from. They said they do not offer extended warranty services we need to contact Volkswagen to do that.
Contacted Volkswagen. They said they do offer extended warranty but cannot give a quote until the vehicle is 30 days before the end of its 3 year warranty.
So I will have to wait a month before expiry of my 3 year factory warranty.
An alternative would be to find a third party offering cover.

I have attached a PDF file of where Volkswagen directed me to the policy details.
Wait until you see the quote.
I intend to just put a similar amount of money into a Cash ISA, which if not used will go towards the T7.

This is the correct warranty booklet, typical Volkswagen to direct you to the wrong one.. Extended warranty has been covered many times on this forum and the general consensus is as Welshgas says , put your money in the bank. Its expensive and has a single claim limit of only £2500.
My local dealer ( VW Van Centre Preston) doesn't recommend it

Attachments

• cover-booklet-1116.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 22
As above, coming to the 3 year barrier had an invitation to extend - the quotations for our 180 SE ( just 10,000 miles ...) ranged from around 500 with 250 excess named parts only to 880 for more comprehensive without excess ( of course none of the habitation stuff is covered )

Looks like a no brainer thanks but no thanks to me .....

al

Have a look at Warranty Direct. My 3 years expires next July so current quotes are fairly reasonable (3yrs extended for circa £1000). Plus there is an additional 10% discount at the moment.

Have a look at Warranty Direct. My 3 years expires next July so current quotes are fairly reasonable (3yrs extended for circa £1000). Plus there is an additional 10% discount at the moment.

We had calls going back and forth with Warranty Direct last year, in the end it turns out the habitation area is not covered at all. Just be careful as the salesman will just tell you what you want to hear

I must get round to reading the fine print. Does it include roadside assistance Uk and EU?

I have already had a callout for a stuck roof. Don't know what we would have done without that.

Back