External 12 volt power

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Fed up with plugging in an unplugging 12 volt sockets for external awning lighting, I have now rigged up a medium term solution.

Using the rear socket, with the multi-flex slightly forward of its rearmost position, I run the cable under the trim.
54ade2989f469b67d2476ffbf053475b.jpg

It emerges from the trim at the left tailgate hinge and is cable tied to the hinge.
b07e604f4d656f7cf9d921c396a1385c.jpg

The cable is connected to a switch which is secured to the awning end cap with Velcro, ready for LED lights to be connected to light the wind out awning and driveaway awning when camping.
8225e673a77c6296998d0c22a798f8b5.jpg

I have found pitching in the dark difficult. Now all I need do is wind out the awning, attach a light strip to Velcro already in place, connect the light to the switch, turn on the switch and I have light to pitch the driveaway awning.

The Vango lighting system will take up to four LED strips, ample lighting for the wind out and driveaway awning or even an outside eating area during dark and balmy autumn or spring evenings.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
I have the fiamma awning LED bar and have similar challenge. I always found plugging into the dash on top and running it over the seal in the drivers door worked well and kept it out of the way but I do wish there was an external 12v option.

I have the fiamma awning LED bar and have similar challenge. I always found plugging into the dash on top and running it over the seal in the drivers door worked well and kept it out of the way but I do wish there was an external 12v option.
We have the additional problem of securing things from fiddling little fingers.

My next challenge will be to make the wiring more permanent by hard wiring it behind the socket. It might be a long wait until the 5 year/80,000 mile warranty is up.

External 240 volt for heating the driveaway awning in winter is a different challenge. At the moment the extension lead goes out of the front passenger door, over the roof in front of the pop top, over the wind out awning if deployed, and into the driveaway awning.

External 240 volt and 12 volt sockets would be a nice option. Also, a better system than the silly cigarette lighter sockets. Surely European car manufacturers could put their heads together and come up with a new standard!

External 240 volt for heating the driveaway awning in winter is a different challenge. At the moment the extension lead goes out of the front passenger door, over the roof in front of the pop top, over the wind out awning if deployed, and into the driveaway awning.

You need to think the other way round - use a tent hookup cable & then a short lead to connect the van off the tent supply.

upload_2018-1-3_13-49-55.jpeg

I use one of those 240v units in my T25 ( didnt want to cut the new panels to install a 240v socket) they work great and have built in RCD.

Combined with a splitter we can have 240v inthe awning too although we dont often bother.

5C5C4C63-B791-4E43-A47D-1EF3C72508DD.jpeg
Now why didn't I think of that!?

I have one of these, also has a super bright light and usb chargers built in, so handy in the awning. Then run a short lead under the van and into the side.

Fed up with plugging in an unplugging 12 volt sockets for external awning lighting, I have now rigged up a medium term solution.

Using the rear socket, with the multi-flex slightly forward of its rearmost position, I run the cable under the trim.

It emerges from the trim at the left tailgate hinge and is cable tied to the hinge.
b07e604f4d656f7cf9d921c396a1385c.jpg

The cable is connected to a switch which is secured to the awning end cap with Velcro, ready for LED lights to be connected to light the wind out awning and driveaway awning when camping.
8225e673a77c6296998d0c22a798f8b5.jpg

I have found pitching in the dark difficult. Now all I need do is wind out the awning, attach a light strip to Velcro already in place, connect the light to the switch, turn on the switch and I have light to pitch the driveaway awning.

The Vango lighting system will take up to four LED strips, ample lighting for the wind out and driveaway awning or even an outside eating area during dark and balmy autumn or spring evenings.

Just be aware Tom it looks like the switch does not have the correct IP rating for external use so keep it dry. Would it fit inside the awning at all?

Just be aware Tom it looks like the switch does not have the correct IP rating for external use so keep it dry. Would it fit inside the awning at all?

There is space at the front of the awning case for mounting, but not at the rear. It is only secured with Velcro, so it's easy enough to take off, and I have end caps for the cable.

There is space at the front of the awning case for mounting, but not at the rear. It is only secured with Velcro, so it's easy enough to take off, and I have end caps for the cable.

Be aware that in heavy rain, especially when driving, you may get water ingress where your cable comes over the Rear Tailgate rubber seal.
Originally Roger Donahugh had the Solar Panel input lead over the seal and I had water ingress at that point so reworded with the Solar lead going through the Tailgate wiring loom corrugated rubber cover.

This might be a better solution/plug for the Rear 12v Socket. Less likely to get damaged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-Ri...angled-Plug-LED-Fuse-cable-17cm-/122458450662

This might be a better solution/plug for the Rear 12v Socket. Less likely to get damaged.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-24V-Ri...angled-Plug-LED-Fuse-cable-17cm-/122458450662
Thanks.

I'm probably stuck with what we have until we return to the UK. I tried to get some stuff delivered to us in Sicily, but some went astray requiring a credit card recharge, so I'm reluctant to try again. So unless I find a Bulgarian Maplin, we will have to make do.

At least the plug is protected by the multiflex frame - the multiflex stays in the same position for the bed and when the van is loaded.

I'll keep an eye on water ingress. If it is intolerable I have a spare connection lead and may try to feed that through the tailgate loom as I have with the panels' wiring.

I hard wired my awning lighting using remote control and driver mounted in the rear locker.

The feeds pass out via the sliding door. The rubber seal around this door has plenty of space to accommodate a couple of cores.

0C2E919D-E6F5-4A25-A1C7-4EB3FA9B2946.jpeg CFF7DCB8-3BAF-48B0-A4E3-7EC245663460.jpeg

Had this issue before with annoying trailing wires for awning lights etc - plan for next van is a direct fused hardwire from under seat leisure battery down through the existing large rubber grommet in this compartment (directly under the battery) and then cable tie to the floorplan terminating in a (marine style) waterproof 12v socket below the B pillar.

Had this issue before with annoying trailing wires for awning lights etc - plan for next van is a direct fused hardwire from under seat leisure battery down through the existing large rubber grommet in this compartment (directly under the battery) and then cable tie to the floorplan terminating in a (marine style) waterproof 12v socket below the B pillar.
Nice. Unfortunately I'm a DIY incompetent which I charitably define as one grade below a DIY novice. In any given DIY project I attempt there is a >50% chance things will turn out worse than they began.

This is our solution for power for the awning lights
Small switch wired into the 12v supply to the rear interior light
IMG_20180104_125441879.jpg
This then connects to the leads from the LED lights on the rafter
The lead just goes out through the tailgate seal. Means we can turn the lights on/off from inside the van.
P1040716small.jpg

Of course the simplest way is just make up a long lead with a towing plug on the end and use that, assuming your van has 13pin electrics and therefore a constant 12v supply.

....,,edit. As long as it’s fed by the leisure battery? Hmmm may need a simple mod.

Back