Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed - Thinking of trading in the Cali for a grand cali 600

Hi all, thanks again for all the advice and thoughts, it's been very helpful.

I thought I'd post a bit of an update, the wife and I managed to view a GC 600 at a van centre local to us. Naturally, my first thought was to try the bed and believe it or not I actually fit, same with the bathroom (it's tight side to side but I actually do fit and it'd do for me) - I must be shorter than I thought. The bed shouldn't be an issue as I don't sleep straight anyway (much to the boss's dismay). We've got a deposit down now on one so fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dave

+1 for Joker over Grand Cali - if I was in your position. Too many horror stories coming up on the forum and lack of dealer understanding to repair issues has put me off the Grand.

I think 600 is easy and driving as a year-round car is 78 years old. With a loin of 1.85m, it could be a little longer. Some mistakes in the beginning have worked perfectly to great joy.

Just try keep the perspective, the forum typically includes problem stories not the success stories
Also the vw california forum is very active, most of the other makes of van have only a few if any owners contributing to a specific forum.

Swift used to host a swift owners forum but ended up taking it down when they realised the owners were actually getting their heads together and realising they had the same faults & putting pressure on the factory to fix things.

I had a Rollerteam with numerous faults, I only met 2 or 3 other owners when out and about, they had the same faults but there wasn't a decent forum where that knowledge was shared.

The problems that everyone is having with the GCs have been there from day one according to my Cali salesman. These are not problems of the vehicle per se but of the camper conversion. Unfortunately right now, due to Covid supply problems, it has become harder to fix those problems.
What I would do in your place, is look for a second hand GC where the previous owner has solved all the hiccups (and is not selling because of them).

So, I do not own a GC, but really feel the need to mention this:

when we rented a fiat ducato based camper before we bought our california, the bed was about 10cm longer then I am. So I figured that would work. I tried it out and when I lay straight it seemd to work out just fine. And I never even sleep straight, so no worries I thought. But a few days in, it turned out the bed was obviously too small. It annoyed me while I was sleeping.

Just try keep the perspective, the forum typically includes problem stories not the success stories
Iam aware problem stories on forums may get more posting and I look forward to your success story but there does seem more of a theme on the forum with issues with both the grand and some 6.1 where the dealers are struggling to repair.

Hi,
My 2p after owning and full time living in the GC600 for just a month is simple, don’t do it until the problems are sorted out. I seem to have the very same problems people on this forum have had since the beginning, which leads me to believe they have not sorted any of the issues since initial launch.
I have no regret with my purchase, but seeing the blank look on the “Master technicians” face when going through my very long list of faults, inspires very little confidence.

Hi,
My 2p after owning and full time living in the GC600 for just a month is simple, don’t do it until the problems are sorted out. I seem to have the very same problems people on this forum have had since the beginning, which leads me to believe they have not sorted any of the issues since initial launch.
I have no regret with my purchase, but seeing the blank look on the “Master technicians” face when going through my very long list of faults, inspires very little confidence.
Well I must be lucky as owning both 600 and 680 and having very little teething problems on both nothing to mention on the 600 and step’ fly screen and mattress on the 680. But love the 680. Currently free camping 2nd day in and all is running well.
I know there are issues. Stick with it it’s a great van.

Hi,
Iv just posted my list of faults/annoyances, they’re not dissimilar to any of the others.
Well I must be lucky as owning both 600 and 680 and having very little teething problems on both nothing to mention on the 600 and step’ fly screen and mattress on the 680. But love the 680. Currently free camping 2nd day in and all is running well.
I know there are issues. Stick with it it’s a great van.
Thank you for your comment, it gives some hope that everything will eventually be repaired with time.

Hi
I just agree with Jester. We bought our 680 earlier this year but due to lock down didn’t get to use it properly until the summer.

We have just finished a 10 week trip in France and love our 680. There were a few minor issues like the bathroom light randomly switching on and off for about 30 minutes after using the bathroom, the sliding door being difficult to close sometimes from the inside and very rarely intermittent poor pressure on the two taps.

But after 70 nights in campsites and wild camping there really wasn’t any other problems with the van. It was great to drive, comfortable to live in, great storage and easy to use.

Keep the faith, it really is worth it

John

Back