Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Advice needed - Thinking of trading in the Cali for a grand cali 600

D

dave6779

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking of trading in our Cali ocean for a Grand California 600, but we need your advice - especially those who have driven larger motorhomes.

One of our major concerns is the practical side of the GC600, how hard have you found it visiting places whilst on trips out - super markets, city parking (outside obviously), town parking/driving. One of the things I love about the Cali is how versatile it is, now I appreciate the GC I’d going to be a different beast and I’m ok with the compromise for the extra headroom and moving room (I’m 6’ 4”) but I am concerned it might be too impractical.

How do you find it? I know @Eber123 has just got one, would you mind commenting on how you’ve found it?
Another concern I have is the bed length, any other 6’4” owners around who’ve slept and showered in a 600? I’d really love to hear your thoughts. If people say it’s not practical I might just live with the compromise of the Cali because it is an amazing machine.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Dave

The bed is too short on a 600 for you? I'm closer to 4'6" than 6'4" and thought it was tight. Its also not particularly wide & hemmed in by walls on 3 1/2 sides so you cant hang a leg over the end or even sleep diagonally.
You would need the 680 where you lay lengthwise against the 600 laying across the van.

The bed is too short on a 600 for you? I'm closer to 4'6" than 6'4" and thought it was tight. Its also not particularly wide & hemmed in by walls on 3 1/2 sides so you cant hang a leg over the end or even sleep diagonally.
You would need the 680 where you lay lengthwise against the 600 laying across the van.
Off-topic: For the 680 check if your driving licence allows this (I believe pre 1997 is fine, after that needs a c1 hgv licence)

Hi Dave
Agree with Andy the bed is definitely too short. I am 6’5” and for that reason we went with the 680. We love it. When we got it first in April we toured Ireland, given that we live there!! And we think that Google deliberately took us down every tiny road and boreen on our travels. There were times when every parking sensors was beeping the roads were so narrow. We are in France now and again we have driven on motorways and the narrowest farm lanes with no problem. The van is manoeuvrable and easy to park.
So unless you need the four beds definitely go for the 680
John

Hi all,

My wife and I are thinking of trading in our Cali ocean for a Grand California 600, but we need your advice - especially those who have driven larger motorhomes.

One of our major concerns is the practical side of the GC600, how hard have you found it visiting places whilst on trips out - super markets, city parking (outside obviously), town parking/driving. One of the things I love about the Cali is how versatile it is, now I appreciate the GC I’d going to be a different beast and I’m ok with the compromise for the extra headroom and moving room (I’m 6’ 4”) but I am concerned it might be too impractical.

How do you find it? I know @Eber123 has just got one, would you mind commenting on how you’ve found it?
Another concern I have is the bed length, any other 6’4” owners around who’ve slept and showered in a 600? I’d really love to hear your thoughts. If people say it’s not practical I might just live with the compromise of the Cali because it is an amazing machine.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Dave

I’ve found it hardly a compromise at all, compared to taking a large estate sized car on the same trips. Only once or twice have I seen a spot that I had to turn down due to the size. I always do rural touring though, so not indicative of city. It’s also not really any more difficult than that same car to drive on highland single track… just slower.

My wife is 6ft, I’m 5 11. We both sleep comfortably but would not want to be taller tbh. Possible, but you’d definitely be noticeably up against the sides.

We needed the second bed so 680 flat out not an option. We looked hard at the westfalia’s with pop top and also other converters, but on balance in spite of (multiple, significant!) reliability problems it was the right layout / format / equipment choice & balance for us.

I have owned both GC’s and listening to your comments you would require as Andy and MM advise is a 680.
The GC is not an every day drive as you would expect due to the size however that being said don’t be put of by its size it really is very easy to drive, yes you do need to consider length when parking do make sure one of your options as a must have is a reversing camera.
Also as MM advised you will require a C1 licence

my wife is also comfortable driving. We are currently driving around the roads!!! of Cornwall.

Everybody's experiences, wants and needs will be different. Why don't you hire one and try how it works for you personally? We have them for hire but we certainly aren't the only hire company.

Wow I wasn’t expecting so many responses so quickly! Thanks everyone I really appreciate it! Unfortunately I don’t have a c1 licence, although I won’t mind getting one if needs be (I love driving massive vehicles) but I don’t know if the boss would

@Soton Campers I’m gna take your advice and try and rent one- unfortunately we’re based in Wigan otherwise I’d be giving you a shout.

Can anyone recommend any who can rent one in the north? We travel to Scotland a lot to see family so I wouldn’t mind renting one up there and doing a little tour while we’re there - it would be rude not to right?

Hi Dave
Agree with Andy the bed is definitely too short. I am 6’5” and for that reason we went with the 680. We love it. When we got it first in April we toured Ireland, given that we live there!! And we think that Google deliberately took us down every tiny road and boreen on our travels. There were times when every parking sensors was beeping the roads were so narrow. We are in France now and again we have driven on motorways and the narrowest farm lanes with no problem. The van is manoeuvrable and easy to park.
So unless you need the four beds definitely go for the 680
John
Thanks @Moonlight Motel really appreciate the advice. It’s dead hard to find one now to look at lol. The gutting thing is they don’t do a 4 berth 680. Although we could do the whole cab bunk for the little one for now. Seems a little daft though with a massive van.

Maybe we’ll have to hold off and stick with the Cali. How weird is it that the Cali is a 4 berth but the 680 isn’t?

I have owned both GC’s and listening to your comments you would require as Andy and MM advise is a 680.
The GC is not an every day drive as you would expect due to the size however that being said don’t be put of by its size it really is very easy to drive, yes you do need to consider length when parking do make sure one of your options as a must have is a reversing camera.
Also as MM advised you will require a C1 licence

my wife is also comfortable driving. We are currently driving around the roads!!! of Cornwall.
Thanks @Jester! That really helps! Think I’ll need to do my c1 licence by the sounds of it. And rent a 600 on the meantime to see.

Everybody's experiences, wants and needs will be different. Why don't you hire one and try how it works for you personally? We have them for hire but we certainly aren't the only hire company.
Do you have 680’s for hire?

Hello Dave,

I am 1.73 in hight (sorry I am not so familiar foot and inches). My wife and I have no problems to sleep in the bed of the GC 600. Actually it is sooooo much better comparing to the Ocean we had before.

I agree of what was said of driving the Grand California, it is really enjoyeable, maybe even too much because you can almost forget that it is a bigger car you drive.

I enjoyed driving the Ocean and its smaller footprint. It brought me to remote places in Ireland. But even with the Ocean there where more and more places I couldn't go. Car parks seems to be made more inaccessible for taler vehicles (I am not sure if motorhomes are targeted or not).

Now moved to the GC 600 it is noticeable that the camper is bigger. Never the less I try to use it as much as possible. That means if I need to go somewhere I try to remember or to judge if there could be a decent car park for the GC 600 or not. If in doubt I take the car.

The change from the Ocean to the GC 600 was huge for us. Not only spending all that money, but the Ocean was my daily drive. Now I need to share the car with my wife. At the moment that is no problem, but when she is back in the office there it will impact my mobility. So how the camper change really will impact us will be seen in the future.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello Dave,

I am 1.73 in hight (sorry I am not so familiar foot and inches). My wife and I have no problems to sleep in the bed of the GC 600. Actually it is sooooo much better comparing to the Ocean we had before.

I agree of what was said of driving the Grand California, it is really enjoyeable, maybe even too much because you can almost forget that it is a bigger car you drive.

I enjoyed driving the Ocean and its smaller footprint. It brought me to remote places in Ireland. But even with the Ocean there where more and more places I couldn't go. Car parks seems to be made more inaccessible for taler vehicles (I am not sure if motorhomes are targeted or not).

Now moved to the GC 600 it is noticeable that the camper is bigger. Never the less I try to use it as much as possible. That means if I need to go somewhere I try to remember or to judge if there could be a decent car park for the GC 600 or not. If in doubt I take the car.

The change from the Ocean to the GC 600 was huge for us. Not only spending all that money, but the Ocean was my daily drive. Now I need to share the car with my wife. At the moment that is no problem, but when she is back in the office there it will impact my mobility. So how the camper change really will impact us will be seen in the future.

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Thanks Eberhard! That sounds exactly how we’re planning to use ours, most of our local shopping trips could be done in the gc by the sounds of it (Costco, etc) so I could give it runs in between trips. Tbh that’s what happens atm with the Cali, I all do the childcare run in the Cali and might be able to continue that too. Time will tell

just measured in cm and I’m 192cm which is the max length o believe of the bed width itself. I’ve got a test drive booked now so I’ll go and see how comfortable it feels and go from there.

Thanks for posting your list of faults, painful as it sounds it’s been, it’s really helpful for others to be able to look out for things and get them sorted ASAP. Really appreciate it!

Many thanks!

Dave

Thanks @Moonlight Motel really appreciate the advice. It’s dead hard to find one now to look at lol. The gutting thing is they don’t do a 4 berth 680. Although we could do the whole cab bunk for the little one for now. Seems a little daft though with a massive van.

Maybe we’ll have to hold off and stick with the Cali. How weird is it that the Cali is a 4 berth but the 680 isn’t?
Have you looked at a club joker will sleep 3 adults or 2 adults and to kids. Roof bed is 2m long very comfy can be a bit of a knack to getting in and out (like cali roof bed access). Only 5.3m and like driving a cali too, very easy to park (apart from height barriers).

Have you looked at a club joker will sleep 3 adults or 2 adults and to kids. Roof bed is 2m long very comfy can be a bit of a knack to getting in and out (like cali roof bed access). Only 5.3m and like driving a cali too, very easy to park (apart from height barriers).
I haven't actually, looks like there's a dealer in hull which is relatively close to us - and a good excuse for a weekend trip, i've always wanted to see that side of the coast :)

Hello Dave,

I don't want to talk you out of the Grand California, but the Club Joker might be a good option. I was also watching a few Youtube videos about campervans based on a Ford Tranist. Some of them look interesting.

I could say with a good consions that the diesel consumption of the Ocean was about 7 l / 100 km. The Grand California needs about 11 l / 100 km. With the same size of tank it reduces the journey from 920 km to about 680 km, which I think is a lot. I wish the Grand California would have a 90 l tank (but that would be to heavy then, I guess).

With 1.92 you won't be happy with the bed in the GC 600. I think your only option would be a campervan with length beds. My wife argued that the GC 680 is too long (the GC 680 would have been my first choice).

Exiting times to choose a campervan, best of luck!

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard

Hello Dave,

I don't want to talk you out of the Grand California, but the Club Joker might be a good option. I was also watching a few Youtube videos about campervans based on a Ford Tranist. Some of them look interesting.

I could say with a good consions that the diesel consumption of the Ocean was about 7 l / 100 km. The Grand California needs about 11 l / 100 km. With the same size of tank it reduces the journey from 920 km to about 680 km, which I think is a lot. I wish the Grand California would have a 90 l tank (but that would be to heavy then, I guess).

With 1.92 you won't be happy with the bed in the GC 600. I think your only option would be a campervan with length beds. My wife argued that the GC 680 is too long (the GC 680 would have been my first choice).

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
Thanks Eberhard! I think you’re right and I’m very glad I asked here first. I think I might do my c1 test at some point for future proofing my license anyway, I’d love to have the option to drive something larger but I don’t know if I’d want something as large as a 680 on my drive all the time. Renting a 680 for a tour of Europe would be cool though

thanks for all the advice and I hope all the initial niggles with the GC are worked out soon for you.

Once the age of 70 is reached a medical is also required to keep the C1 active. Every 3 years thereafter.

Ive recently bought a 680. Never had a campervan before but found it really easy to drive and manoeuvre - and that's on narrow roads around Ireland. I'm 6'2 and tried the bed in the 600 and decided it was too small.

Ive recently bought a 680. Never had a campervan before but found it really easy to drive and manoeuvre - and that's on narrow roads around Ireland. I'm 6'2 and tried the bed in the 600 and decided it was too small.
Thanks Chris!

Hello Dave,

Happy Grand California,
Eberhard
I loved the Joker. Its only weaknesses were the small boot, the lack of versatility (a Cali can be a van) and the price. But size, bed, toilet with hot water were tempting. They still are …

I loved the Joker. Its only weaknesses were the small boot, the lack of versatility (a Cali can be a van) and the price. But size, bed, toilet with hot water were tempting. They still are …
Lots of hidden extra storage in the joker, under floor in van, rear seat lifts up (loads of room), you can hang a lot of stuff up in tailgate, if only two then you can remove down mattress and store loads there, plus loads of cupboards and drawers.
It’s definitely not as versatile as a cali and it’s giant boot area, but it can carry all your camping gear easily.
The joker isn’t supposed to compete with a cali as it’s a different beast, if you want hot water shower and loo and a van you can stand up in and only 5.3m and an iconic brand!

One of my buying criteria when looking at Campervans was the 5mtr length max to fit into Brittany Ferries pricing. Height not an issue as is up to 2.6mtrs permitted. Normally do 5>7 crossings per year.
Going over that included considering everything up to 6mtrs with additional costs.

Did once read on here that IOW Ferries have the 5mtr rule and if tow ball is attached/sticking out on a Cali they will charge for next category up.

Back