Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Extra power off grid, leiasure battery alternative!

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Dear Cali Gurus,

So the cali beach only has one leisure battery, so i was lookin at threads and google on how to fit an extra one, and then saw these Goal zero power packs to help with extra power on and off grid.

Has anyone used one of these Goal Zero 150 or 400, it looks like a perfect solution to get an extra battery for small items (phones etc) without any of the hassle and of course be good for ocean owners as well and you can carry it anyhwere.
Link to items
https://www.outdoor365.co.uk/search...2ds3_-r2cNnw_zV1xW9utLYI2GFXOpPwaApxyEALw_wcB

And a review;

Dear Cali Gurus,

So the cali beach only has one leisure battery, so i was lookin at threads and google on how to fit an extra one, and then saw these Goal zero power packs to help with extra power on and off grid.
Install 2 x 110 watt solar panels on the roof. We have 2 x 100 watt panels and camped off grid 7 June to 25 November. fridge 24/7, lighting, iPads, iPhones, rechargeable torches, diesel heater fuel pump, kindles, DVD player... all the electric needs for a family of four.

Shorter days, more cloud cover, greater use of lighting and diesel heater pump required occasional hookup in November, December, January and February.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Install 2 x 110 watt solar panels on the roof. We have 2 x 100 watt panels and camped off grid 7 June to 25 November. fridge 24/7, lighting, iPads, iPhones, rechargeable torches, diesel heater fuel pump, kindles, DVD player... all the electric needs for a family of four.

Shorter days, more cloud cover, greater use of lighting and diesel heater pump required occasional hookup in November, December, January and February.

If you dont mind me asking but who did the solar panels for you?

If you dont mind me asking but who did the solar panels for you?
Roger Donoghue. We went to the West Country to visit my brother and popped in to Roger's workshop to collect them. Fitted in about 90 minutes (with my brother's help).

Roger Donoghue. We went to the West Country to visit my brother and popped in to Roger's workshop to collect them. Fitted in about 90 minutes (with my brother's help).
I know im going :offtopic, but they sound ideal!!! If you ever watch mr tumble (cbeebies) i am DIY dan so 90 mins for you would be 5 days, and it being thrown in the bin for me. Do they fit them and how much do they cost?

Roger fitted mine as well. But it was 2½ years ago so I don't know the present cost, it'll probably be on his website or on that link.
Are you going to the Dorset meet, because you go past Taunton on the way there, you could pop in for an hour or so, he's just South of Taunton about 2 miles off the M5.
Otherwise if you have a firm up near you that installs car radio equipment, they'd probably be able to do it for you.

I know im going :offtopic, but they sound ideal!!! If you ever watch mr tumble (cbeebies) i am DIY dan so 90 mins for you would be 5 days, and it being thrown in the bin for me. Do they fit them and how much do they cost?
I class myself as a DIY incompetent - defined as a >50% chance of any DIY project ending up costing more to correct than had I paid someone in the first place.

Installing the panels was easy. The only tricky bit was feeding the cable from the roof through the boot loom.

I wrote an idiots' guide to fitting the panels somewhere here, describing each step as trivial, easy or tricky. No part was difficult.

T
I class myself as a DIY incompetent - defined as a >50% chance of any DIY project ending up costing more to correct than had I paid someone in the first place.

Installing the panels was easy. The only tricky bit was feeding the cable from the roof through the boot loom.

I wrote an idiots' guide to fitting the panels somewhere here, describing each step as trivial, easy or tricky. No part was difficult.

Thanks Tom, can you find your idiots guide for me, would really appreciate that, still not got cali (coming sept) but getting things ready to prep it! I love the thought of wild camping, me, my bike, OS map and my camera= heaven for a few days off gridr and recharge human batteries and then ready for the rat race of work again on my return!

If it is really just phones/tablets etc you want to charge something like this is more cost effective. Charge while driving and it will recharge a couple of phones probably a couple of times.

https://tinyurl.com/yd5r4vp2

Thank you!!!! Be nice to meet you and other cali members one day, i have a million questions about all your travels especially with kids, tooo tooo many questions to ask on these forums!! Really inspiring! As soon as i get my cali, will defo be down on the next cali meet, if the powers of VWCC bosses allow, maybe one will be in North Wales somehwere maybe? Hint :thumb Think all the advice i have recieved off you all over the past year, i need to make you all a brew (if my camping stove and kettle can keep allows) :thumb:happy:thumb

Back