Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory fit Sat Nav is rubbish

Well cannot complain about my RNS510. Got me to all the places I've wanted to go in the UK and Europe with no problems.
In fact easier to use than any Garmin or TomTom I've had, so I must beg to differ.
Mind you I do keep it upto date , unlike many.:thumb
Hi Welsh Gas
I’m still waiting to be in a position to order my Cali (hopefully Dec) but was just wondering how do you keep the built in Sat Nav updated - I’m assuming that you get the dealer to do this during services?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Welsh Gas
I’m still waiting to be in a position to order my Cali (hopefully Dec) but was just wondering how do you keep the built in Sat Nav updated - I’m assuming that you get the dealer to do this during services?
Thanks in advance.
I have a T5.1 California with the RNS510 Media and SatNav.
I think the T6 has a different system but I think you Download the Updates and put them on an SD card that you plug into the unit. Possibly the Dealer can do it also. Best to ask.

See here. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/sat-nav-map-update.20569/

RNS510 is expensive but very good. Mine is 2010. Last year I got the software update off eBay, and uploaded it, nervous but it works fine. Then got the latest maps off eBay, once again fine. Large screen and all the other functions, I am happy with. Long may it last.

Built in sat nav is convenient, it’s always there and has no cables trailing across the dash and does not attract attention from thieves. I find the interface on the latest unit pretty slick. I’ve put Archie’s campsites, Lids & Aldi’s, Tesco’s and Wild Camping etc spots into it; these are shown on the display and it’s great for finding impromptu stops for brews, shopping or night halts.

I agree about the three route options, it’s baffling what the differences are.

As with all sat navs I have used, it does send you down unsuitable roads occasionally and you have to be alert for this.

I prefer to plan a route in advance so I can pick the sort of roads I prefer. I will then force the sat nav to go the way I want by setting a number of intermediate destinations along the way that I know will make it use the roads I want. I don’t plan too far in advance, just up to the next brew stop, then start again.

You can’t beat the flexibility of a stand alone sat nav, you can buy the one with the options you want, and you can plan your routes using a computer then transfer them across. Also, you don’t lose the screen when you are using the radio/media functions or other menu options. However, you can’t leave them on show in the van, so you leave them hidden away and don’t get the awareness of points of interest that you get with always on built in sat navs.

I've been using my T6 nav a bit more, trying to give it a fair chance. The last two traffic jams it's tried to route me around (dynamic routing) seemed a bit unexpected, so I took a quick look at Google maps only to see the hold ups the factory nav was trying to avoid were in fact imaginary / historic. So if you think its saving you lots of time in traffic, I wouldn't be so certain.

Despite my attempts to love factory nav, I'm beginning to think that the only people who think it's great are folks who've never used Google maps.

Yes, lack of cables and directions appearing in the centre of the dash is great, but as a routing tool, it sucks.

I've been using my T6 nav a bit more, trying to give it a fair chance. The last two traffic jams it's tried to route me around (dynamic routing) seemed a bit unexpected, so I took a quick look at Google maps only to see the hold ups the factory nav was trying to avoid were in fact imaginary / historic. So if you think its saving you lots of time in traffic, I wouldn't be so certain.

Despite my attempts to love factory nav, I'm beginning to think that the only people who think it's great are folks who've never used Google maps.

Yes, lack of cables and directions appearing in the centre of the dash is great, but as a routing tool, it sucks.
Sorry, have to Disagree. Have used Google and Apple maps- Pants both of them in the UK, Europe, USA and Australia.
Phones are not dedicated SatNavs and depend on too many factors. Download the maps then no realtime updates, depend on phone signal has its own problems. Even GPS is not as accurate using Cellnet zones as well .
Each to his own.

I've been trying to find out more about the source data used to identify traffic delays and how this data is presented on my RNS510. I've not been able to get enough detail to be of much use but I do agree that in comparison to Google the traffic info is not very accurate. I still use the RNS510 for navigation but have my phone running a free Tom Tom Speed Camera app purely to flag traffic problems and that is extremely accurate.

Totally agree, I have built in Discover Media on my T6 and have given up on it and gone back to Google Maps and Waze which both have live map updates that use other users data so it is 100% accurate, also you know the maps are always up to date to the second. Easily connect via Android Auto.

The way I look at it, factory navigation is just like having an out of date map book, even if you update it you will find it will still be be at least a year out of date.

There is a big difference in the precision of the traffic information in Discover Media, dependent on if you have an internet connection or not. So the opinions on the value of traffic information would be more valuable if you included information on if you have your SatNav connected to the internet or not.
I always use it with an internet connection and it works very good for me. There is occasional cases of strange routes, but it is a minor problem IMO. Generally I feel the choice of three types of routes gives you a nice insight in what the real difference is between fastest and most economical route.

I thought the MFD was seriously overestimating MPG until I did some brim to brim comparisons. After several measurements I found the over estimating was ~5%, a little like a speedometer reading 21 mph while driving at 20 in a home zone.

So what we need is some proper comparisons between VW's sat nav and Google.

On a recent 2 hour journey my Discover Media under estimated the journey time by 10 minutes, probably due to traffic building up on the Chichester Bypass. Next time I'll compare to Google Maps. My feeling is that Google Maps under estimates driving time by more than VW.

Another significant difference is where RNS510 obtains its traffic data: from radio signal or phone. If radio alone traffic information is very often out of date- long term roadworks an exception. If via sim the data seems to be far more accurate, and traffic flow on major routes is coloured green, orange or red.

So what we need is four figures:
Google Maps journey time
RNS510 radio journey time
RNS510 sim journey time
Actual journey time less stops

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

App connect / CarPlay works brilliantly I find. Not just Nav but music via Spotify as well as great phone interface. I wouldn’t bother with dedicated Sat Nav in a vehicle (certainly wouldn’t pay for it) as this system is better IMHO. Have it in one of the cars as well, equally good.

Mmmmm. Nothing in there to show you how to stop it from randomly guiding you off a motorway exit, up the the sliproad to the roundabout, only to direct you straight back onto the motorway. It did this to me 3 times over the weekend!
I found most of them will do that in traffic. although if its not congested then it certainly shouldn't.

I have the Discover Media Pro in my Beach and the Golf Gtd.
I really do hate the system, we were in the Vendee in May, no matter what I put in it could not find "Ile De Re"
nor could it find the French post code version.

After 20 minutes of frustration the sun came out and we decided not to have a drive out :headbang

We also hate the factory nav on the Cali, we have also gone back to Google maps with real time information and not information that is possible a year old. I would never spec Nav in a vehicle again, its a bit old hat now with the likes of Google Maps etc...

Personally recommend that anyone spec'ing a new Cali adds the 'AppConnect' option.

If you have an Android or Apple phone then this will help future proof your Unit as Android Auto / CarPlay are constantly updated

I thought the MFD was seriously overestimating MPG until I did some brim to brim comparisons. After several measurements I found the over estimating was ~5%, a little like a speedometer reading 21 mph while driving at 20 in a home zone.

On a recent 2 hour journey my Discover Media under estimated the journey time by 10 minutes, probably due to traffic building up on the Chichester Bypass. Next time I'll compare to Google Maps. My feeling is that Google Maps under estimates driving time by more than VW.

Another significant difference is where RNS510 obtains its traffic data: from radio signal or phone. If radio alone traffic information is very often out of date- long term roadworks an exception. If via sim the data seems to be far more accurate, and traffic flow on major routes is coloured green, orange or red.

Google Maps journey time
RNS510 sim journey time

As far as I'm aware the RNS510 traffic data is radio only. But I'd love to be wrong!

As far as I'm aware the RNS510 traffic data is radio only. But I'd love to be wrong!
I have mine linked to the van's MiFi and get real time traffic data for main roads throughout all the European countries we visited. A green, orange or red strip along the main highways.

But maybe Discover Media Navigation is not RNS510. All I know is that my factory fitted sat nav is great.

Last edited:
Perhaps we would have preferred this system

Google Maps journey time
RNS510 sim journey time

Hi Amarillo
Can I ask how the two RNS510 connections work?
I.e. do you need to specify a sim when ordering or is there a option to connect it to your phone and it’s sim ?
Thank you

Hi Amarillo
Can I ask how the two RNS510 connections work?
I.e. do you need to specify a sim when ordering or is there a option to connect it to your phone and it’s sim ?
Thank you
RNS510 can not be connected to Internet any way. I think he has discover media or whatever its called.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have Discover Media and I was connecting through the VW Car Stick
a1de1b87b6263074e2bf1da651ea359f.jpg

Which has its own SIM. SIM has run out at the moment so I now connect through my MiFi

a14bf806035b810a709f14e78617da92.jpg

I also use the MiFi as a wireless hotspot and for connecting to my Dashcam.

You configure what you want to use for your Discover Media through Menu then settings then

ac0c5351d9fa525e5645b43f383b3384.jpg

880c995abe88d8bc516de61791bd2adb.jpg

Mine in this case is Molly MiFi

Mike

Yep I simply use my mobile phone as a hot spot for the discover media unit

@T6 CFO. Thanks for this Mike. Any chance of even a bit more detail.... Where is your USB stick normally plugged in? Which exact options are you choosing in the menu? Anything need doing day to day? Does the set up stop you using carplay? Can the data bit be done by a plugged in carplay phone?

I think there are many of us struggling with discovery sat nav so your efforts would help many!