Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fan runs for hours

• Thread starter cpjb@btinternet.com
  • Start date
cpjb@btinternet.com

cpjb@btinternet.com

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi there - recently when I unlock the van some kind of fan starts under the bonnet, and can go on for several hours.

A bit worried about it running the starter battery down, and also annoying fellow campers.

Any ideas what could be causing this? Thanks.

When you unlock the van, or turn on the ignition? The fan circuit (assuming the actual radiator fan) I think has a separate power feed independent of the ignition so it can continue to run after the ignition is turned off (albeit typically not for that long). This will be informed by a temperature sensor so if this is telling fibs, that could possibly account for it . . . but, I wouldn't expect it to start up just on unlocking as there's nothing to "trigger" it.

Does it run all the time when driving?

The fan is triggered by simply unlocking the van by clicking the key fob. The engine is not turned over, and yet the fan starts running! It's difficult to detect whether it runs all of the time when driving.

Does it sound like a high pitched whine?

Not really - it's more like a low pitched hum, which eventually stops. Anyway, got it booked in with local garage next week. So we'll see.

OK here's an update. When the garage had the van elevated they discovered that the fan which is running is associated with the auxiliary heater (camping heater). They undid the plastic cover underneath the van (not in the engine as first thought) to discover the source of the fan noise.

Unfortunately their VW person is on hols at the moment so all they could do was disconnect the heater for the time being to avoid the risk of running down the battery as a temp fix.

I just wondered whether this new evidence gives any insights as to what is causing this to happen? Also I'm not sure if the camper heater is a Webasto or Eberspacher as the site's search facility is not working. Can anyone recommend a suitable heater service centre in the East Midlands? Thanks.

are there stickers on your drivers b pillar,they tell you what heaters you have. the camping heater should run off the leisure batteries. strange it's trying to start up on unlocking though ? does it have remote control fob ? is it on a timer on the panel and you maybe only notice it when close to the van ?

I'll check the b pillar tomorrow. I do recall seeing them now that you mention it. Never set the timer for the heater from the control panel. Try and restrict use of the panel to absolutely essential on/off, raise/lower functions. It's worth a check though to see if some electrical glitch has caused it to be set.

Back