Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fancy number plates - a yes or no?

David Worthington

David Worthington

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I just wondered what people thought of this number plate?...

Bought on a whim, but haven't put it on my van yet (I quite like the plate I have with the letters ZGY... which reads as ZIGGY in my head). So, whether to keep or sell...

Dave

Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 20.37.58.png

Says California to me! :thumb Keep it!

I'd say go with whatever you prefer, I have a plate on retention that came off my last car but I haven't put it on the Cali yet.

Well done for finding that. Looks good to me.

I might change my name to match my Cali's number plate (whatever it is ... :D)
Isn't that the way to go ?

Ziggy has more character.

Thanks for comments people. I think that's exactly what's bothering me Skylark; having bought CA11FOA the original plate and it's suggestion of Ziggy actually has more character.

I think I'm going to keep CA11 on retention and perhaps pop it on a new T6, one wistful day... probably after they've done the first upgrade (coming all too soon I reckon, but not everyone agrees with that view if you've read my past threads!).

P.S. Aldy, I come from Harrogate, so a Leeds car with AR51 GIT would make me :) too!

P.P.S. Barry, I used to be called Zogolovich, but changed my name because booking the Cali for servicing got too confusing...

Dave

T4 WFA (for my T4 Westfalia Cali) is the first plate I've ever bought. Private plates are not really me but at less than £200 fitted I eventually couldn't resist. I kept thinking 'no' every time I looked at it on the dvla, but after 6 months bought it whilst drunk....
It will obviously stay with the van.

Thanks for comments people. I think that's exactly what's bothering me Skylark; having bought CA11FOA the original plate and it's suggestion of Ziggy actually has more character.

I think I'm going to keep CA11 on retention and perhaps pop it on a new T6, one wistful day... probably after they've done the first upgrade (coming all too soon I reckon, but not everyone agrees with that view if you've read my past threads!).

P.S. Aldy, I come from Harrogate, so a Leeds car with AR51 GIT would make me :) too!

P.P.S. Barry, I used to be called Zogolovich, but changed my name because booking the Cali for servicing got too confusing...

Dave

:thumb

T4 WFA (for my T4 Westfalia Cali) is the first plate I've ever bought. Private plates are not really me but at less than £200 fitted I eventually couldn't resist. I kept thinking 'no' every time I looked at it on the dvla, but after 6 months bought it whilst drunk....
Snap but I haven't got my Cali yet! Couple of months ago when I decided that I would be buying a T6 I paid a visit to the DVLA site and baught T6 CFO for £250. Never wanted a cherished plate but somehow it's different on a Cali.
Just need to spend another 50k + now to put it on:)

Snap Snap, we hadn't got a Cali but had lusted for one since seeing an early 174 bhp Cali at a Silverstone race meeting whose owner waxed lyrical about it, but just couldn't bring myself to spend a very, very large shed load of money on just a van! We then thought about maybe buying one next spring but the chances of us committing ourselves was still remote.
Then one June night I couldn't sleep, just like tonight, went on the DVLA site looking at number plates which I have a love hate relationship with, but I think the right number on the right car looks good ever since I remember seeing Datsun 240 Z for sale with the Irish number 240 Z on it.
Came across SU51 BUS, wife called Sue, wanted a Bus, Christmas present sorted, had to be purchased.
Then I realised I'd give myself a few problems,
1. Her Birthday's not until Christmas.
2. If I bought the number plate, we would have to get a Cali
3. I'm hopeless at keeping secrets and was now buzzing with antipitation
4. How to pay for it without her noticing it (she's the financial controller in our house), (a friend came to the rescue)
5. Most importantly, Sue doesn't like personal number plates.

Sod it, life's too short, purchased it, bought a Cali soon after, Sue got her Christmas present early, I did't have to keep a secret for long, RESULT !

I think Sue really likes the plate now, but she probably won't openly admit it, after all a Natural Grey Bus is rather bland for the V-DUB scene.

Last edited:
I have VW13 BUS on my Beach, and I love it. It kinda breathes life into these hunks of metal and people comment on the number plate more than the Cali to be honest.

Never bought a private plate before or since, but the right plate on the right bus.... awesome!

Thumbs up from me

Icing on the gorgeous cali cake as far as im concerned! Attention to detail is a must with our vans, well done all! Frank S (JNR)

I think your drunken purchase of a plate that stays with your van inspired my sober purchase!

One bonus of a private plate is they are much easier to remember - important because most camp-sites want your reg number.

I remember seeing the reg "U2" on a Fiesta that lived near Blackpool, probably worth way more than the car to the right person.

When I was much younger in the 1970's a "large" lady living nearby had a red Rover P6 with the reg "40 BRA". Obviously had a profound effect on me to remember that after so long ;)

Randomly just received a junk email from regtransfers offering me K1 DUB...

...for £3045

What planet are they on?

Could not resist getting T6 OCN for our upcoming cali
I wondered who went for that, I nearly bought it for a potential purchase down the line. Glad it's gone to a good home! I missed out on T6 BCH (has someone on here bought that?) but happy with my T6 YLW

I saw B11U VW on a blue T5 on the way home tonight. T6 YLW will look great on the new van daveyboydanger

I saw B11U VW on a blue T5 on the way home tonight. T6 YLW will look great on the new van daveyboydanger
Thanks Aidy, I hope so.
Planning to rent out aswell and so hope the number plate adds a little more fun to the renter's experience and give the van some more character.

Back