Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas procedure when traveling on a Ferry

holliers

holliers

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi

We're just about to set off to France for an extended first trip.

I've search Brittany Ferries documentation but I cannot see what I need to do with the gas supply before boarding the ferry. Some posts on here (related to Eurotunnel) suggest it would be wise to disconnect the supply at the bottle, and take a picture of said state.

(The bike rack will be loaded and we'll have a box on the tow-bar, so opening the boot will be nigh-on impossible)

Can anyone advise what the published and recommended procedure should be,

Cheers
Mark

You should disconnect at the bottle. By all means take a picture as proof, but if they want a visual inspection before boarding then you may well have to unload.
There is no point refusing as they will just stop you boarding, without any refund.
Having said that, I wasn't checked on the Euroshuttle.

Never been checked boarding ferry I only turn it off under cupboard other wise can't make cup of tea while waiting to board.

We've been on Brittany Ferries numerous times on the Plymouth too Santander route and retun and have never been asked about our gas cylinder status, so don't worry about it.

Last year Dunquerke-Dover and back no inspection
This year Denmark - Norway and back no inspection
In Norway sevral times on short ferrytrips no inspection

But do note you have to close the botlle itself ...it is marked by signs and warnings.
Detaching the safety valve is a thing i never done , just close it on top of the botlle.
Not only on ferry , in most contries even on the road the botle must be closed!

In campervans, I have never been inspected, however when I had a motorhome I had to show it was disconnnected. Whether this was to do with the fact that a campervan typically uses a much smaller bottle which is inside the van i.e. you have a good chance of knowing if it is leaking. Where as a motorhome has 4.5 or 7kg bottles and these normally sit in an external locker....?

Thanks all. Good data.

I'll disconnect before I load and trust that I don't get asked. It'll be easy enough to do this before I leave and to reconnect once I get to the first site.

From then on, it's not something I have to worry about for the next six weeks until we return :)

Cheers
Mark

Back