Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for how much gas is left in the bottle

So if you get a new bottle every time you go away you're going to waste an awful lot of expensive gas. Thsts why we carry a spare and use all the gas up. Scandinavia is the main problem for Camping Gaz supply.

So if you get a new bottle every time you go away you're going to waste an awful lot of expensive gas. Thsts why we carry a spare and use all the gas up.
That is the only way you can use every drop in your cylinder and the spare ensures you never run out. I went for the truma devise to give me an “early warning” to save weight

So if you get a new bottle every time you go away you're going to waste an awful lot of expensive gas. Thsts why we carry a spare and use all the gas up. Scandinavia is the main problem for Camping Gaz supply.
That makes sense, if you only have the van to burn the gas in.

We do have 2 bottles and sometimes use the Cadac at home to use it all.

How quick are you guys getting through a bottle? I don't think I've ever used a whole one in a year. I keep a spare at home & swap depending on how long we are going to be away.
The current spare is almost empty - I use it for the BBQ at home, so will get that refilled & put in the van before the next long trip & then finish off the current van one using the BBQ.
I get 45/50 days cooking every day and 4/6 kettle bottle a day if that helps.
I carry a little portable CV 470 for back up.

Looks like there are plenty in Europe?
Don’t be fooled.

Refill 907 not easily available in the Nordic countries, Baltic states or Balkans. You can probably get Campingaz cartridges in most places, but the Campigaz website on refill availability is very misleading and uses high pressure cartridges and refills to boast of widespread gas availability.

Under intensive testing, we have found that one 907 bottle is sufficient for four for four weeks.

Hot drinks for breakfast, simple hot lunch 3 or 4 times per week and fully cooked evening meal 6 nights out of seven.

When going away we take a full bottle and a part full bottle. One for the Cadac BBQ and one for the cooker.

We also have a gigantic 909 bottle, currently empty and rarely used.

Good to read your different views and approaches, thanks. I may well just take a 904 as a spare and to fuel the bbq, though they seem tricky to get hold of - lots of places out of stock but they seem to have some here for £56!
I’d much rather monitor the level and schedule a refill when I’m close to empty though. This looks like a promising Bluetooth monitor, but I can’t work out how you power/charge it.
This video shows you round a Peugeot Symphony van fitted with a Gaslow system that sounds ideal - fill up across europe for €6. I called the U.K. office who say they don’t have a kit able to retrofit a California as the space in the water tank is too tight to take the pipe work/regulator.

Good to read your different views and approaches, thanks. I may well just take a 904 as a spare and to fuel the bbq, though they seem tricky to get hold of - lots of places out of stock but they seem to have some here for £56!
I’d much rather monitor the level and schedule a refill when I’m close to empty though. This looks like a promising Bluetooth monitor, but I can’t work out how you power/charge it.
This video shows you round a Peugeot Symphony van fitted with a Gaslow system that sounds ideal - fill up across europe for €6. I called the U.K. office who say they don’t have a kit able to retrofit a California as the space in the water tank is too tight to take the pipe work/regulator.
Campingaz have updated the gas locator section of their .uk website.

You can now search for retailers selling:
1. cartridges and refills
2. cartridges or refills
3. refills or (cartridges and refills)
4. Cartridges or (cartridges and refills)

Below is a screenshot showing retailers selling refills [red] or (cartridges and refills) [grey].

Since I was last there, it seems that the Baltic States are beginning to sell refills, and they are widely available in Denmark.

1613591683121.png

Campingaz have updated the gas locator section of their .uk website.

You can now search for retailers selling:
1. cartridges and refills
2. cartridges or refills
3. refills or (cartridges and refills)
4. Cartridges or (cartridges and refills)

Below is a screenshot showing retailers selling refills [red] or (cartridges and refills) [grey].

Since I was last there, it seems that the Baltic States are beginning to sell refills, and they are widely available in Denmark.

View attachment 73933
Seemingly none further north though. Perhaps because you need propane in the cold?
So if I’m heading north of Denmark, fir more than a month (not until I retire...) I’ll need 2 full bottles I suppose, otherwise one 907 should do it

Seemingly none further north though. Perhaps because you need propane in the cold?
So if I’m heading north of Denmark, fir more than a month (not until I retire...) I’ll need 2 full bottles I suppose, otherwise one 907 should do it
You’ll also find in Norway/Sweden campsites have excellent cooking facilities for clients so you can always use their facilities when on-site and save your gas for off site use.

Someone once suggested, and I have since followed the suggestion, of converting your Cadac (if you use one of course!) to use the same gas. Therefore you always have two until one is empty, buying you time to find a refill.

907's are available across the Channel unless you are going on
a massive trip to far out places, a full bottle should do you.

Just weigh what you have or get a full one before the expedition.
A full one should be good for about 174 bacon buttys.
Yes and you can strech it to 200 if you turn the gas off when turning the Bacon over! I have the data and waistline to prove it.

Hi Folks. I just lift the battle and slosh it around and feel the weight of the liquid as it continues to move for a second ..I think from this you can guess how full it is. It felt low before our last trip, so I packed a tiny back up backpacking stove - and sure enough, it was needed. From now on I will carry one as a spare. It lasted two nights. Cheers Cliff

20221121_171940.jpg

20221121_172007.jpg

20221121_172020.jpg

We also thought it wise to have two bottles, the first one lasted about five years and I was somewhat inconveniently 575 miles from the spare when needed, just up from Aviemore, at the Glenmore campsite by the lovely Loch Morlich. The site manager pointed me to a general store and pub at the edge of the site that I’d completely missed. They were pleased to replace it. Fortuitous, as it turned out to be a good general store, great dog friendly pub, beer, food and craic.

Carry a 904 and a 907. Exchanged on the Continent when required.

We used to have a 904 until late 2021 - no refills available, and our local camping shop offered to exchange for a 907 refill. So now we travel with 2x 907s. We use an external BBQ / stove more, so the van bottle lasts for ever.

What’s the best scales to use to weigh the 907 bottle ?

I have a standard handheld luggage scale from Amazon in the van

View attachment 102771

remember getting it for about 5 GBP about 2 years ago.
Yeah I tried the luggage scale and failed as it has an auto hold function and I can’t turn it off.
Looking for one to sit on the floor and put the bottle on top

Yeah I tried the luggage scale and failed as it has an auto hold function and I can’t turn it off.
Looking for one to sit on the floor and put the bottle on top
I have a manual version, little to go wrong.

Back