Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solution for how much gas is left in the bottle

borrow your wife/partner's weighing scale ;) (PS: without them knowing it)
She won’t use them, says they are the devils machine ;) :D
I’m thinking of some scales a bit more accurate than 0 to 120kg.
Like 0-20kg ?

I'm struggling to understand how knowing how much gas left is useful?
If you don't believe you have enough for the intended trip, do you exchange for a full cylinder thus wasting the remaining gas.
Do you then take a spare cylinder or some alternative?
The advantage of a spare cylinder, especially a 904, is you can exhaust the connected cylinder and then replace.
Not had any problems, so far, in exchanging 907 or 904 cylinders during my continental travels.

I'm struggling to understand how knowing how much gas left is useful?
If you don't believe you have enough for the intended trip, do you exchange for a full cylinder thus wasting the remaining gas.
Do you then take a spare cylinder or some alternative?
The advantage of a spare cylinder, especially a 904, is you can exhaust the connected cylinder and then replace.
Not had any problems, so far, in exchanging 907 or 904 cylinders during my continental travels.
Just killing time …. And asking Q’s
I have a 907 and 904 so it’s all good.

But if I work all week out the country and come home Friday and think at 21:00, I wonder how much gas I got for a weekend trip, then it’s handy.
If I weighed the 907, and it’s low, I’d swap in the 904.
Then when I get a minute, refill my 907 from my mahoosive 15kg Butane bottle.
But I still need some good scales…. For this particular task.
Some of us work all week ;)

Just killing time …. And asking Q’s
I have a 907 and 904 so it’s all good.

But if I work all week out the country and come home Friday and think at 21:00, I wonder how much gas I got for a weekend trip, then it’s handy.
If I weighed the 907, and it’s low, I’d swap in the 904.
Then when I get a minute, refill my 907 from my mahoosive 15kg Butane bottle.
But I still need some good scales…. For this particular task.
Some of us work all week ;)
I bet I could swap my 904 over for the empty 907 as quickly as disconnecting the 907 to weigh it and calculate how much gas I’ve got for a weekend away.

My point is, if you don’t have a spare or the capability to refill a cylinder, what do you do if you weigh and calculate you don’t have enough gas?

Exchange the part filled cylinder? Expensive waste of gas.

Rush around to purchase a spare cylinder?

Rush out to buy an alternative cooking system, camping stove and cylinders?

Don’t go away?

I agree, should always have a 904 as a spare :cheers
The use the 907 till it’s empty. Swap over and refill the 907.
But how do I know when I’ve put enough gas in?
I need a pair of scales that weigh up to 20kg……..

I agree, should always have a 904 as a spare :cheers
The use the 907 till it’s empty. Swap over and refill the 907.
But how do I know when I’ve put enough gas in?
I need a pair of scales that weigh up to 20kg……..
Bathroom scales?

I have been using this luggage scale for several years. Easy and does not take up space.

Salter 9500 Luggage Scale​

salter1.jpg

As an aside to this quandary, we've been pondering one of these: https://www.ultimateoutdoors.com/16...H5SjsFqEouEgCh2J21tpQZWFx0EGEnX8aArf8EALw_wcB

I assume it won't be directly compatible with the internal Cali kitchen gas bottle, but we increasingly cook outside on a separate stove where it might come in handy and provide more options. We usually travel with the 907 fitted inside and use a 904 for the outside stove on the basis that the bottles are interchangeable. I'm tempted to fit one of these regulators to the outside stove to allow us to use a smaller gas bottle to save space, but retaining the option of swapping bottles over if required. The disposable bottles can be more readily available and are much smaller.

I did recently enquire to campingaz about the status of the small 901 bottles. The said they are no longer manufactured, but apparently still available from some stockists, in Europe at least.

I'm tempted to fit one of these regulators to the outside stove to allow us to use a smaller gas bottle to save space, but retaining the option of swapping bottles over if required. The disposable bottles can be more readily available and are much smaller.
Quite a few people use a quick connect bayonet coupling on the Californias flexible hose to enable you to quickly connect the 907 to an external bbq. If you were to do that & the same to the flexi hose output from the regulator on that, you would be able to use the small disposables bottles to power the cali, as well as giving the option as you suggest.

Just note the comment on the sales blurb "Not intended for use with double burner appliances exceeding 2000 watts per burner, or single burner appliances exceeding 2500 watts."

I don't know if that rules out using it for the cali stove or whether it might work in an emergency to power just one ring...

PS. They are only £22 on amazon.

Cheers. Will look into that. We did start our ownership with a minor gas leak (traced to a bad tap, so a quick fix), so I suspect the other half would be reluctant to experiment with non-standard connections.

I did see they were cheaper at amazon but I try and do at least some of my shopping elsewhere.

Does anyone have a chart for the 904?
Pretty easy to work out if you've got a bottle as it will have the tare (empty) weight stamped on it - should be 2.8kg and full one is 4.68kg so 50% would be 3.82 kg etc

Possibly a solution -- note possibly as no direct knowledge

It's all very well determining how much gas you have left, but what do you do if you think you don't have enough left for your upcoming trip. Exchange for a full one, wasting what you have left?
If you carry a spare, 907/904 or some other system then you can use until you run out change to the spare and do an exchange for the empty one at your convenience. Easily done in most European countries.

Very interesting thread , thanks all.

Is it safe to transport a spare 907/904 in the boot - not in its compartment?
Or is the twin connection regulator plus the small CV470 a better option ?

It's all very well determining how much gas you have left, but what do you do if you think you don't have enough left for your upcoming trip. Exchange for a full one, wasting what you have left?
If you carry a spare, 907/904 or some other system then you can use until you run out change to the spare and do an exchange for the empty one at your convenience. Easily done in most European countries.
You can't exchange a part full one, must be empty.
I recall having to resolve this by going home and letting last bit of gas out before returng with it empty to exchange before trip to Europe.
One of those small canister powered stoves is space friendly backup.

You can't exchange a part full one, must be empty.
I recall having to resolve this by going home and letting last bit of gas out before returng with it empty to exchange before trip to Europe.
One of those small canister powered stoves is space friendly backup.
Never had a problem exchanging one with some gas in .

Never had a problem exchanging one with some gas in .
Lucky as I was refused on basis that agent said that Gaz wouldn't accept for safety reasons.

I have a neighbour who refills Campingaz in his garden shed. If I take him one which is part filled he weighs it before and after and only charges for the gas.

I have a neighbour who refills Campingaz in his garden shed. If I take him one which is part filled he weighs it before and after and only charges for the gas.
Hate to think of all the H&S regs plus local byelaws and home insurance items not complied with.

Hate to think of all the H&S regs plus local byelaws and home insurance items not complied with.
Carried out sensibly and with the correct equipment has no impact on any of the above (as for 3rd party liability regarding resale that is another matter)

Carried out sensibly and with the correct equipment has no impact on any of the above (as for 3rd party liability regarding resale that is another matter)
As I assume a London based operation, there were fire related restrictions on what practices could be carried out in other than accredited premises.

Back