Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ferry ticket dilemma

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm about to book my ferry crossing and was wondering whether to just book one way and have the option of buying return ticket on the day I descide to return
I phoned DFDS to ask if this would be feasible, but the lady didn't want to commit.
The only option was a 72 hour flexible ticket
I'm a solo traveller without a stict itinerary that would be retuning before the main summer holiday

Has any one had any experience,and would it be feasible ?
Any advise would be appreciated

Regards
Alan

We did this last year using DFDS during April/May. You may have less choice during high season but I would do it again as it allows such flexibility.

I don't know the ferry from where to where you are considering, but e.g. Dover-Dunkirk outside high season has never been an issue to book last minute on the dock.

I was thinking best to book out going ticket now for say middle of May and leave to chance for the return ticket from any of the 3 crossings to Dover before the school holidays start in July
Would I pay a premium doing it this way ?
As I said they wouldn't commit to an approximate cost on return ticket at DFDS

Alan

We did Dover-Dunkirk last July on a flexible return ticket and had no problems getting on a ferry when we did decide to come back. Very easy and convenient, especially if you find somewhere nice and decide to stay a day or two longer :D

We came back from Europe at Christmas early, went out via the tunnel and had a return with them but because we wanted to return earlier they wanted £225.00 one way the whole ticket was only £166.00 both ways so I just drove into Dunkirk DFDS at 17.00hrs bought a ticket for 55euros on the 08.00hrs crossing the next day this allows you to take the 06.00hrs 08.00hrs or the 10.00hrs we could have come back the same afternoon we got to the terminal but been driving all day from southern Germany so stayed in the large car park outside the terminal building as I have done on many occasions over the years also not to many places to stay when you get to Dover at 19.00hrs in the evening the car park is well lit and secure not noisy there are showers and toilets in the terminal building, called euro tunnel they said we can use the return part of our ticket as part payment on a future trip so not lossed anything, so point of the post buy one way and come back when you want find the cheapest outward jurney arrive stay in the car park get up refreshed in the morning streight onto the motorway :cool

Not the ferry but the tunnel..

I normally book both ways and then change when I know my definite return date. There is no penalty for changing,

Thanks for the useful information folks
Feel much more confident in my planning (or should I say not planning) :D

Out of interest Jen how much notice do they need to change return times on ticket for euro train....that's good that there's no penalty fee for changing

Alan

Alan said:
Thanks for the useful information folks
Feel much more confident in my planning (or should I say not planning) :D

Out of interest Jen how much notice do they need to change return times on ticket for euro train....that's good that there's no penalty fee for changing

Alan

Last time it was 2 hours.

I wanted to do some shopping so simply went on line and booked a train for the following day.

The following day I turned up early so was offered a choice, travel at booked time I get on an earlier one.

35 minutes, no hassle, off one motorway onto another.

Back