Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

P & O Concessionary Units

I wonder how the living standards of the “ slave “ descendants compare with the descendants of their original “ tribes “ in Africa who were not sold into slavery by their own tribal chiefs, as in Nigeria?

Why does it not surprise me that that is your train of thought?

I wonder how the living standards of the “ slave “ descendants compare with the descendants of their original “ tribes “ in Africa who were not sold into slavery by their own tribal chiefs, as in Nigeria?
At least one third of them don’t exist WG, they died in transport!

So comparably I imagine their lives are pop retry terrible compared to those descendants that did survive.

At least one third of them don’t exist WG, they died in transport!

So comparably I imagine their lives are pop retry terrible compared to those descendants that did survive.
And what about their tribal ancestors that died at home in Africa?

There are 2 sides to every story and the fact that you are not interested in the facts and have pre-conceived opinions says a lot.

Why is it that a group in the USA of slave descendants object to the Benin Bronzes being returned to Nigeria as it would reward a state who’s rulers sold their people into slavery in the past?

And what about their tribal ancestors that died at home in Africa?

There are 2 sides to every story and the fact that you are not interested in the facts and have pre-conceived opinions says a lot.

Why is it that a group in the USA of slave descendants object to the Benin Bronzes being returned to Nigeria as it would reward a state who’s rulers sold their people into slavery in the past?

Another new low WG.

As a share holder , are you not entitled to the 25% Family and friends discount ? This works on all levels of fares and it is a genuine offer . i have used it many a time , although like others i now look for alternative means of crossing where possible due to past issues with P&O (Non refund of payments for non running crossings during Covid and the way the staff were sacked recently ) .

TBF to P&O that pricing structure is not unique. We just did the same with pre-booked Legoland tickets. My forces discount card gets me 15% discount on the full price tickets but I can buy the advance tickets at 50% off the face value direct on the website.
This is exactly the same at Merlin Entertainments' venues. The BOGOF is only valid on full price 'on-the-day tickets, which are around the same price as two website prebooked advance tickets!

Marketing eh?

After the way they treated their staff recently, I won't travel anywhere with P&O ever again, even if their tickets were free. Vile company.
Well said. How they treated their seagoing staff was shocking.

I have 600 “concessionary units” too. They replaced the shares I had held before the company was taken over (by Tui I think) many years ago. They used to give a 50% discount on any of the cross-Channel routes and 40% off North Sea fares. It’s now a more restricted offering, as you say, but still worth having. I find the flexibility of the discounted tickets really useful. I often arrive at the ports early or late, sometimes by a few hours but occasionally by days. If you log on to the the appropriate booking page, using your ID number, you will automatically get the correct ticket and price. I suspect that yours, like mine, are not shares. You and I therefore have no responsibility as joint owners for the appalling behaviour of P&O management.

I have 600 “concessionary units” too. They replaced the shares I had held before the company was taken over (by Tui I think) many years ago. They used to give a 50% discount on any of the cross-Channel routes and 40% off North Sea fares. It’s now a more restricted offering, as you say, but still worth having. I find the flexibility of the discounted tickets really useful. I often arrive at the ports early or late, sometimes by a few hours but occasionally by days. If you log on to the the appropriate booking page, using your ID number, you will automatically get the correct ticket and price. I suspect that yours, like mine, are not shares. You and I therefore have no responsibility as joint owners for the appalling behaviour of P&O management.

Thanks for that.

The units I have came from my father who had them at the time of Townsend Thoresen (European Ferries Group PLC) as a child we crossed to France either free or at a very low rate by getting ferries at an ungodly hour; 5 or 6am.

I examined the various tickets, and all allow passage without charge on ferries +/- 4 hours of the booked ferry. The concessionary ticket allows unlimited changes to the crossing without charge (provided there is space): it is an open ticket. I understand the value of that.

Where do you get your ID number from? I had to book by phone as I couldn’t find an ID number anywhere. I had heard they get sent out every March, but haven’t had anything.

Thanks for that.

The units I have came from my father who had them at the time of Townsend Thoresen (European Ferries Group PLC) as a child we crossed to France either free or at a very low rate by getting ferries at an ungodly hour; 5 or 6am.

I examined the various tickets, and all allow passage without charge on ferries +/- 4 hours of the booked ferry. The concessionary ticket allows unlimited changes to the crossing without charge (provided there is space): it is an open ticket. I understand the value of that.

Where do you get your ID number from? I had to book by phone as I couldn’t find an ID number anywhere. I had heard they get sent out every March, but haven’t had anything.
I think the number is written on the certificate. Can’t check just now, as we’re in our van in the Spanish Pyrenees. It will probably also be on any correspondence sent to you about them. It stays the same each year. They used to send out a special brochure for Concessionary Unit Holders, but I don’t remember anything recent. There was a cash-in value to the units and probably still is. It was £200 for 600 units when I first got them but they have been worth far more to me than that over the years, even if the value is now dwindling.

Back